Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Why I should never be left alone and bored on a three day weekend.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/qxRfD/embed"></iframe>

Using KAS and Hull Camera, I was able to rig up a first person view for EVA, which resulted in the last 4 pictures. Next up is Landing and Mun walk.

Today (tonight), I worked on my base on Minmus.

There's now 1 spot left to complete the main structure and I'm debating adding either another habitation module or a communication center with satellite dishes.

How did you dock those modules with the new (weak as hell) landing gear? My stuff always tips to one side. :(

I guess so Jack, I guess so.

I think you can all vouch for me, I rarely post actual pictures here.

I'm toying with the plugin. It's a gorgeous effect, but it has me close to the edge on RAM usage.

Perfected my SSTO & desided take it to Eve. Little bit of disaster cause I didn't know airbreathing engines won't work on Eve. (I know there is no O2 on venus so there they can't work but didn't know that about Eve). Fun part of this trip was learning (and doing) new things in ksp.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think these are most awesome picture of the trip:

T4BchPX.png

qG4WnST.png

Edited by TUFOM

[TABLE=width: 800]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Spent a large portion of the day designing and testing a solution for the Duna Explorer mission, which is stalled thanks to a flaw in the rover design that interferes with the dropship's engines in hover mode.

The rover only needed a minor addition to compensate for its positioning under the dropship that causes it to block thrust and knock the assembled vehicles off-balance, vertically. The dropship itself was also improved to provide more directional torque.

After all the modifications and testing and re-balancing, it came time to send them off to Venture to allow the mission to resume. The last thing I wanted to do was try sending another IPEV platform out there, though. Those things aren't really good for interplanetary runs without the drive sled, and would require another mission setup as long and complicated as Venture's itself had been before the mission set off. I needed something more purpose-built for the cargo, and able to get there under its own power.

Enter LRCV 101-A "Bruin", a cargo and supply vessel designed for delivery of potentially complex equipment layouts to remote orbital locations, and loitering to act as a static supply and refueling station.

screenshot279.png

Bruin features a single simple cargo "spine" that is uniquely configured according to the cargo it will haul. In this case, it carries four Kurb Burner rovers for one-time deployment (two for the Duna Explorer Mission, and two to be deployed at another destination yet to be determined. But wait! What about the modified dropship?

screenshot282.png

Oh yeah, those are coming too. Yes, "those". As balance is critical, as well as mission flexibility, Bruin will be carrying two of the latest Sherpa dropship designs along with it, to replace the single older model version Venture currently carries.

screenshot291.png

Due to the sensitive nature of the cargo frame, the Sherpas are required to power down all thrusters and control systems to prevent the Bruin's computer from assuming control of them and introducing unwanted movement.

Equipment all stowed and secured, Bruin departs, sent on its way by a rare eclipse (ha).

screenshot299.png

The Duna encounter wasn't quite as spot-on as the mission planners had hoped, coming in over the poles, but the ship's powerful engines made quick work of final capture and orbital alignment.

screenshot304.png

Once on-station, matching its orbit to roughly that of Venture, it's time to begin supply operations. The procedure begins with activation and launching of both Sherpas, which link up to keep the local space as uncluttered as possible for the next stage.

screenshot308.png

After spending months enclosed within Bruin's protected hold, the cargo is exposed to the sun, allowing the rovers time to begin charging and the crew to begin integrity inspections.

screenshot309.png

The second compartment was also opened, in the event one or more of the rovers experienced damage during the transit, allowing the transfer crew to pull from one of the spares.

screenshot311.png

Like a giant present, Bruin unwraps its gift of Kurb Burners and Sherpa dropships, now properly tested for deployment on the surface of Duna.

screenshot312.png[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

That's a very neatly designed ship, congrats! I don't really want to think about the part count though, or the required booster to launch that into orbit... :)

Thank you very much! It actually doesn't require a major lifter to get it up to orbit; it only requires four of the biggest SRBs in the B9 pack, and two sets of four of the small vanilla SRBs. The main engine does the bulk of the work, but because it's prone to overheating quickly in atmosphere, it's a very slow, arduous launch.

Once up, since it's also a fueling station, it has two options to continue on:

1. Recharge the tanks with its own fuel converters (Fueltastic mod), which is very time-consuming, or
  2. Dock with OFS Oklahoma and refuel from there if time is more critical

Part counts are a bit high while loaded, thanks to the four Kurb Burners and two Sherpa dropships. Without cargo the Bruin is a "measly" 180 or so parts, but loaded as she was for this particular flight, I think it was about 587. Yes, getting there was a painstaking lesson in patience, but now that it's parked, and once two of the rovers and the dropships have been deployed to the surface, frame rates will jump up substantially.

(Incidentally, part count is a major reason why the crew housing and drive ring were separated from Venture upon arrival. The drive ring's count of 212 alone brought the ship's total to 652, but was redundant once Venture was on-station for the Duna Explorer mission anyway)

Doing stuff, flying stuff.

KCP - Aria I, test flight over the KSC at night. Love the R&D buildings.

ayfi0AJ.png

KCP - Erinbird I, second test flight succesful, flying high.

uTeydme.png

8QWj6Is.png

I'm not yet sure of the design, I don't like the way the radiators of the 2 Fission Reactors stick out of the plane.