Test pilot wanted

ThePyrateCaptain

Nice mod. but far from and org. creation. Are you and artist or an copy paste person?

KSP-2013-01-05-23-16-18-23-293x261_zpsb7ca0cc4.jpg

Well mostly a cut n paste, although I do take credit for Reverse Engineering the mesh, taking it apart, making it possible to not only make the famous Millennium Falcon, but one of many yt1300 designs. I just chose the MF as a picture cause everyone knows it, and let's face it, everyone here would love to fly the falcon. This is why we play such games, to be Han Solo. By no means can I make a mesh like that, and before it's release, I shall credit the mesh creator, and any thing else I put on it.

From what I can tell so far the original mesh was built by someone in Denmark, although I'm having issues finding his name, the skin was created in original by the same guy, later on an individual named MOJO reskinned it. The original model was more like a technical yt1300, as it has many many hidden meshes, like the drop down blister guns, a detailed hyperdrive core and so on. He was a true artist.

Edited by ThePyrateCaptain

Nicely done =) Animations was so irritating at first. Thankfully there is a lot of new tutiorials floating around =) I dont know if the hyperjump plugin is compat with latest ksp but if it is you can ask nicley to use it =) cheers

I want to fly this RIGHT NOW!

To every one complaining about this guys right to distribute this mod....STOP IT! Don't ruin such a nice thing we have here, doesn't matter if this is his or not, it's a mod, stop getting all up in arms over it. Or do you guys not want to fly the falcon? I mean come on, it's the Falcon man... THE FALCON!

Oh and OP, great work. Maybe some day we can see a YT2400? (Dash Rendar had one in Shadows of the Empire for those who didn't know what a YT2400 is.)

I'll test fly it. My comp is probably good enough.

Comp specs:

CPU: AMD FX 4300 (overclocking to 5MHz)

Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula (RoG)

GPU: ASUS 1GB (cant rememer name)

RAM: 16GB at 1833

I want to fly this RIGHT NOW!

To every one complaining about this guys right to distribute this mod....STOP IT! Don't ruin such a nice thing we have here, doesn't matter if this is his or not, it's a mod, stop getting all up in arms over it. Or do you guys not want to fly the falcon? I mean come on, it's the Falcon man... THE FALCON!

Oh and OP, great work. Maybe some day we can see a YT2400? (Dash Rendar had one in Shadows of the Empire for those who didn't know what a YT2400 is.)

I think you are sort of missing the point mate. I'm trying to be impartial here, not negative. No one has a problem with his right to distribute it, it's simply giving credit to the person that made it, who happens to be:

Authors:

Iven Connery (Original Model)

Sebastian Hirsch (Mojo) (Textures)

Link: http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=10&key=193

There is no restriction on using this model, only simply to give credit and the fact that he wouldnt'/couldnt do that, irked me, I'll be honest.

Now, me personally that's not what real problem was. My problem is the fact that he requires pilots with super computers to use this model, which is really not in the spirit of KSP and probably won't run on half the users computers here and will lag it do death. I'll be honest, I'd be surprised if any of you test pilots dont suffer some severe FPS loss, and i'd be interested to know your PC specs if you don't

Instead of simply saying it's too complex a model, lets examine the mesh and how it will affect KSP:

image.php?id=6753_517522C7&jpg

As you can see this model in its original form pulls in at 183,094 tri's.

Yes, 180,000 tris. Do you know what models that have that high poly count do to KSP? I do, because I tried to use that same model myself, and have spend about 3 months cleaning it up, and even then I could only

manage to get it down to about 30,000 which is still too high. So really, the point here is, most of us here are not getting "up in arms" about the rights, there is more to it than that. If everyone could just import any 3D model into KSP then wow, it would be great we would have everything we wanted, but you just can't (well you can, but the quality will still be sub-par)

Now the part that he will struggle with is the texture, because this is the one he is using:

image.php?id=DFE8_517524AD&jpg

That texture is great to wrap over the top, but hes going to need to split the entire model into several pieces, and even then the texture will need to be totally re-done, so the point I suppose I was initially trying to make is that if he starts to or at least attempts to model it himself, the outcome and his ability to modify the ship later on (like when KSP has a big update) will be much easier for him. It's fun to play with other peoples models but at the end of the day it's alot harder work than actually doing it yourself.

Edited by Devo

Spending the entire day layed over at bespin, the main drives are not working up to snuff as of yet don't even want to worry about the HD, hover, and VTOL works nicely, not using variable mummech engines, you actually have to switch engines over, but so far when I do the main drives fail to produce thrust. "shades of the Empire Strikes Back?" it's not my fault! But oh we'll, will work on it all day today....

Yup, but look, it's really quite a simple notion, if after I'm done with it, and you don't want it, don't download it. Simple choice, if on the other hand you wish to use it, look at it, or whatever, then download it. I'm not forcing this on anyone. FREEDOM of CHOICE. As for the high tris? One, I am new to meshes and stuff, two I think reducing it would take from it too much, and three, this ain't no bottle rocket. Like I said, after it gets finished, download or not, makes no difference to me. I had pondered making this for my use only, but then thought others may enjoy dashing about a primitive system in the Falcon, judging by the general reactions here I think they do, face it, we all like space flight or else we wouldn't be here, and as spacers, we all saw Star Wars, and I bet we all fell for the Falcon. The two most top rated sci if ships ever are the USS Enterprise, and the Falcon, world wide.

If you have nothing helpful to say here, then go light a fuse on yer bottle rockets, and go ohhhhh ahhhhhh, if you can help a guy out, by all means post me. (they know who they are) all the ships here have that in common, they are as common as they get in all Earth Bound scifi. Earth Made technology sucks. From 2001, to Prometheus, IMO, but the star wars galaxy? With thousands of years of space flight? So yes the model is huge, like it or leave it.....

Captain.

I think you are sort of missing the point mate. I'm trying to be impartial here, not negative. No one has a problem with his right to distribute it, it's simply giving credit to the person that made it, who happens to be:

That wasn't directed at you, but I have seen way too many a good thing get shut down because some one who had nothing to do with any part of said good thing and had it shut down.

screenshot142_zps69869f02.png

Jool approach, had to revert to mummech variable engines for now. Having issues with the hyperdrive motivator as it were, waiting for test pilots to report in, ship is now fly able, no exhaust streams, (falcon don't have visible exhaust) haven't tried a landing yet, maybe later.