[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Thx :)

I decided that instead of making all the vehicles operational now, I will just prepare all which is needed to the journey to Eve - Payload B and other stuff on Duna's orbit will be prepared when we get there. This will enable making new chapters faster.

EDIT: "Proteus" works!

bzcFXA5.jpg

Expect next chapters SOONâ„¢ :)

Edited by czokletmuss

Thx :)

I decided that instead of making all the vehicles operational now, I will just prepare all which is needed to the journey to Eve - Payload B and other stuff on Duna's orbit will be prepared when we get there. This will enable making new chapters faster.

EDIT: "Proteus" works!

bzcFXA5.jpg

Expect next chapters SOONâ„¢ :)

What's the addon you're using there?

Yeah, I will do this. I wanted to release new chapter before my vacations but I didn't made it. However I will have laptop with me, so:

1. expect new chapter in the next 7-10 days

2. during summer I'm aiming to 1-3 chapters every week

3. all vehicles finally WAD :)

Take care, folks!

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, in the last whole year of playing KSP, I missed this! It's rather weird, especially since I found this and the video of the Kadmus and the Jool mission about a week after deciding to do a grand tour myself. Right now I'm struggling trying to make a half way decent Eve lander that will double as a high-G lander as well (OK, the upper stage of the Eve lander after it's recovered from Eve).

My current layout uses mostly stock parts (though does use a fair few mods for various apps), with kethane, mechjeb (mostly for the data plots) and a few scale mods. IE using the larger RTG and solar panels from the hybrid ion pack to save on number of parts. I think the only other modded parts used are the quantum struts to stop the landers from wobbling in flight. The mission is going to be solely chemical and nuclear fueled with refueling done by mining landers via kethane. Going to be a challenge certainly, and I'm going with quite a few landers and large number of probes, but I think it's doable.

What's bugging me at present is planning for lost landers. I've got three medium landers (kethane miners basically), three small landers (double as kethane probes), and the single large, two stage (or more if I can't get it right!) Eve lander. The medium and small landers are on boom arms on the side, the big Eve lander stuck on the front. I've allowed a single open docking port on the rear between the main engines and I think this should balance. If I lose one of the landers then the two remaining will mount one in front of the Eve lander (it has fore and aft ports as well) and one aft of the main ship. Lets hope I don't lose more than one! (Yeah right, these are Kerbals here!) The mothership design isn't quite finalised yet so things may change on this, but so far it looks good.

I'm not sure what quality my artwork/screenshots will be as my focus is more on the writing and it's going to be my attempt to turn what actually happens into a story as much as possible. In fact I'd started writing the initial chapter when I discovered this thread. To say I did a face slap would be understating it! Shame, but I guess a given. People have been playing KSP far longer than me so someone is bound to have done a grand tour way before me! I just didn't think of it.

Well, I've yet to catch up on all this thread yet so I'll get back to reading about the Proteus' journey. Safe travels!

Edited by Patupi
typo

1st, great work with this, both playing through a Grand tour (or the 1st part of it so far) and putting it down in story form. I've finished reading through your adventure, and it seems a pity that you've just managed to get updated to .20 and they're upgrading to 0.21! Are you planning on finishing at least the trip to Eve on 0.20? Before my current troubles I'd considered leaving a 0.20 version and finishing the Grand Tour on that... but I've been having a lot of crash, craft file errors and other problems. Some of these will be sorted with using the new ASAS instead of mod workarounds. I think I'm going to hold off on mine until 0.21, though I'm doing a test of the Eve lander first.

I like the style of writing you have, especially now that you put down who is talking! Some of that first bit was awkward to work out who was who. The characterisations are very good, as is the backstory. Have you written much before?

Edited by Patupi

CHAPTER 9

LOW MOHO ORBIT

A6knfIP.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: â€ÂProteus†is covered by a planetary shade in 100%. Ship's orientation change completed. Shield inspection number 276/B4 may begin.

NED: I'm waiting, BERTY.

ItUkH3e.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Cooling system operational. Deploying mechanism operational. Shield's temperature 428 °C. Radiation level within limits.

NED: Visual inspection results – no damage detected.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Visual inspection results confirmed.

UbFoIvP.jpg

NED: And the winner is?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Heat shield operational in 100%. Predicted efficiency during planned aerobraking operations 100%. Shield inspection number 276/B4 is concluded.

DaR8vln.jpg

NED: As always. Do you remember what I said about it?

BERTY v.2.0.8: â€ÂThese damn inspections are bloody boring.â€Â

NED: No, I mean after that.

BERTY v.2.0.8: â€ÂWorst job ever.â€Â

NED: Yeah, but before this I said…

BERTY v.2.0.8: â€ÂI hate this molten rock.â€Â

NED: Come on BERT, now you're just teasing with me!

BERTY v.2.0.8: Excuse me chief engineer. You are obviously referring to “Easy as pie.†However, you did express the desire to educate me in the field of “sense of humor†on numerous occasions in the last 17 days. I'm doing my best, chief engineer.

NED: Yeah, you're making some progress. Okay, we're done here. Is Jeb available?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Commander is still on private meeting with the director Bob, chief engineer.

NED: Figures. And BERTY? It's Ned, please.

BERTY v.2.0.8: I know, Ned. Wasn't it funny?

NED: You know, line between funny and obnoxious can sometimes be blurry even for the living beings. It's something though.

BERTY v.2.0.8: A circuit in hand is worth two magnetometers in the bush.

NED: On second thought, I think we should train a little more today.

wOP39C4.jpg

JEB: What do you mean by “no�

BOB: Precisely what you've heard.

JEB: Listen, we've been through that…

BOB: I said no! You won't get access to this data, end of story.

JEB: I'm the bloody commander of this ship and…

BOB: You're a frakin pilot and you will behave properly when speaking to your superior!

JEB: Superior!? You have no idea how…

BOB: No, you don't have a frakin idea! You think that because we, because I chose you to be a pilot you are somehow entitled to know everything about this mission?

JEB: The mission…

BOB: Is much more important then you think. I have direct orders from Kerbin and I'm going to follow them to the letter – you hear me?!

JEB: In all my missions I've never…

BOB: This isn't your mission! You think that you're reliving good ol'times, brave kerbonauts boldly flying where no Kerbal has ever been before and all that? It's not like that anymore! We don't need heroes or cowboys, we need smart, creative and obedient – obedient, mind you – experts.

JEB: Than maybe you took the wrong guy.

VrAQh8d.png

BOB: Yes, maybe I did! But know it's too late for that. This mission needs your experience and skills and you are going to provide them without any backtalk, you feel me Jeb?!

JEB: How in the bloody hell I'm supposed to perform my duties without even knowing what are we going to do?! Eve lander's crew, orbital operations above Duna, miner unit – you don't tell me anything about…!

BOB: You know what you need to pilot this ship. I suggest you concentrate on this, commander.

JEB: I can't fly “Proteus†when BERTY's response for half of my questions is “classifiedâ€Â!

BOB: Don't ask them then; you will be notified…

JEB: This is completely…!

BOB: … you will be notified in due time when the good of the mission demands it! We won't be discussing this subject anymore. Now get your pesky ass out of my office.

JEB: This ain't no office, Bob.

BOB: SHUT UP AND GET OUT!

PKz74Dw.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8:Hello commander. Is everything alright?

JEB: You've been listening?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I hear everything, Jeb. However, to maintain optimal level of privacy for the crew members I can't access all data from onboard cameras when talking with someone. This is requested from me by psychological protocols.

JEB: How then? Wait – medical data, right?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Higher than average blood pressure and increased heartbeat is a common response to stress.

JEB: Speaking of which – how's Mac?

BERTY v.2.0.8: As it was stated five times during last 48 hours, physiologically and psychologically professor Maclorf has completely recovered from the unfortunate accident on the surface of Moho. I would like to point out that further observation is very unlikely to show any other…

JEB: No BERTY, we have to keep an eye on him for his own good. And for the sake of the mission.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative.

JEB: Good. :sigh: You're not going to tell me, are you BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I'm sorry commander. I'm unable to provide any information about CLASSIFIED DATA to anyone without the zero-class authorization.

JEB: Great. Just great. What kind of a commander am I without knowing what are we going to do? I'm just a space bus driver for the eggheads from KASA…

BERTY v.2.0.8: WARNING. Pessimistic approach to the mission detected. Advised counter-measures: Sun observation deck? Lounge music? Workout session? Social gathering?

TJ82HvO.jpg

JEB: BERTY…

BERTY v.2.0.8: Taking care of crew members is one of my primary objectives. I'm here to help you, Jeb.

JEB: :sigh: What about the Eve transfer calculations?

BERTY v.2.0.8: I'm calculating all the date needed for the transfer burn continuously since we arrived on Moho's orbit 35 days ago, Jeb. Our trajectory has been checked by KASA 27689 times. According to all of them we have enough fuel to perform the burn. However, we will be forced to perform aerobraking in the Eve's upper atmosphere. The heat shield of “Proteus†is in the optimal condition. Probability of next mission's phase success is estimated to be 99,98%. The possibility of error is zero point zero zero zero zero zero…

JEB: Okay, I get it. BERTY?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes, commander?

JEB: I'm tired. I thin I'll take a nap here.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Affirmative. Changing light level. Closing the doors to the command module. “Nostalgia_3†music list initiated.

JEB: Thanks. And some sedative, please.

BERTY v.2.0.8:Affirmative. Would you prefer “Encyclopedia Kerbalica†or the Treaty?

JEB: Treaty.

BERTY v.2.0.8:Commencing reading. States Parties to the Treaty shall bear international responsibility for national activities in outer space, including the mun and other celestial bodies, whether such activities are carried on by governmental agencies or by non-governmental entities, and for assuring that national activities are carried out in conformity with the provisions set forth in the present…

4Aojavx.jpg

MISSION STATUS

DSutSDL.png

Edited by czokletmuss

1st, great work with this, both playing through a Grand tour (or the 1st part of it so far) and putting it down in story form. I've finished reading through your adventure, and it seems a pity that you've just managed to get updated to .20 and they're upgrading to 0.21! Are you planning on finishing at least the trip to Eve on 0.20?

Yeah, it's a pity; though it's my fault that there is one chapter per few weeks recently so it's not like I can blame anyone for this. Compatibility with all mods and testing will eat a lot of time, so I guess I will stay with the latest version of 0.20 for now.

I like the style of writing you have, especially now that you put down who is talking! Some of that first bit was awkward to work out who was who. The characterisations are very good, as is the backstory. Have you written much before?

Thank you for all the kind words and yeah, I could've add "who is who" earlier. I don't write that much though during the years I earned some money by writing all sorts of stuff. However this is the first time when I write not only a story but also in a foreign language. Maybe I should write more but seeing how my deadlines for this story fail again and again I'm not so sure about that :)

My current layout uses mostly stock parts (though does use a fair few mods for various apps), with kethane, mechjeb (mostly for the data plots) and a few scale mods. IE using the larger RTG and solar panels from the hybrid ion pack to save on number of parts. I think the only other modded parts used are the quantum struts to stop the landers from wobbling in flight. The mission is going to be solely chemical and nuclear fueled with refueling done by mining landers via kethane. Going to be a challenge certainly, and I'm going with quite a few landers and large number of probes, but I think it's doable.

What's bugging me at present is planning for lost landers. I've got three medium landers (kethane miners basically), three small landers (double as kethane probes), and the single large, two stage (or more if I can't get it right!) Eve lander. The medium and small landers are on boom arms on the side, the big Eve lander stuck on the front. I've allowed a single open docking port on the rear between the main engines and I think this should balance. If I lose one of the landers then the two remaining will mount one in front of the Eve lander (it has fore and aft ports as well) and one aft of the main ship. Lets hope I don't lose more than one! (Yeah right, these are Kerbals here!) The mothership design isn't quite finalised yet so things may change on this, but so far it looks good.

Doing GT on stock parts is possible but you need decent computer (high parts count will eat your RAM alive). Is this your final version of the GT ship? There were some interesting ideas on the forum before April which alas are mostly lost now - one which I remember included basically overpowered Eve Lander/miner and extra fuel tanks on orbit. I'm not sure how good approach this is when trying to land on Gilly or some other tiny rock (you need 20-25m/s acceleration to lift off from Eve).

Sorry for necro-posting, but are there any updates on this story?

Necro-posting?

Oh-hell-no.jpg

It's not dead! It's just me sucking at deadlines :(I want to write this story to its end (Grand Tour = all celestial bodies visited + return to Kerbin). Plus, I really want to collect all the postcards like this from Moho:

TYkKbC8.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 9

EVE TRANSFER BURN

iWeMwar.jpg

JEB: Fellas.

NED: Why are we meeting in the reactor control room again?

JEB: There are things I prefer to discuss in private.

aoUUr7m.jpg

SID: :sigh: Does it concern Bob by any chance?

JEB: Well, actually…

SID: Here we go again.

JEB: Guys, listen. We survived travel through the dark space to the Kod-forsaken Jool and its moons because we worked together. Without trust, we would've certainly die, there were more than enough occasions. But we made it. I trust you completely.

NED: We trust you too Jeb, you know that.

JEB: Yes. But the point is, I can trust only you two. They are not telling us everything, that's for sure.

SID: What did you expect? That they will gladly tell us all their secrets just because years ago we did what we did? It's obvious that there is more to that mission than we thought.

JEB: Exactly – and I can't assure crew's safety without access to this information.

SID: I agree but you won't get it Jeb! It's not our mission – it's the mission and we're here only because we're useful. One can imagine why should anyone invest such gigantic amount of resources, labor and money to create “Proteus†in the first place. My theory is that…

NED: Aliens. Am I right Sid?

7pSUZOD.jpg

SID: We certainly can't dismiss such a possibility completely without…

NED: Oh come on! You are the chancellor of the goddamn university with a Ph.D. in astrophysics.

SID: I don't see how…

NED: AND planetology, for Kod's sake. And despite that you think we're on a top secret mission sponsored by same shady government agency with a hidden agenda to do what, chit-chat with extrakerbestrials on some barren rock? We're not in some old cheesy science-fiction movie, you know.

SID: Explain to me than what other reason they may be to invest trillions in our mission. It's not like it used to be in our times, when scientific gains and exploring itself were sufficient to keep public and politicians interested.

NED: Future colonization? We're exploring all the celestial bodies after all. You think it would be cheaper to send several missions than build one mothership?

JEB: I think we sidetracked a little. What's important is that we – as well as the other crew members – should be informed about every detail of our mission. Simple as this.

NED: Not for the director Bob apparently.

SID: But we will be informed in due time.

NED: About everything?

SID: What does it change? We all have our duties. I see no reason to be alarmed, it's not like they can hide anything. After all, there is no stealth in space – every landing, docking or EVA will be revealed the second it is initiated.

NED: And if they are hiding something more sophisticated than one of your flying saucers?

JEB: We will know that when we get our authorization.

SID: And how persuading director Bob turned out?

JEB: …

SID: Exactly. I say we just concentrate on our jobs and be vigilant.

JEB: :sigh: Maybe you're right.

NED: Don't worry Jeb. Whatever happens, we will stick together, just like you said.

Ce6Hg7j.jpg

JEB: Thanks.

SID: By the way, how are we looking? I mean with fuel and delta-V.

JEB: Assuming that everything will work flawlessly, we should get to the equatorial orbit above Eve with 2000 m/s surplus.

NED: It never works flawlessly.

JEB: That's why we have the surplus. We need it for orbital operations as well. That is, if the aerobraking will be successful.

SID: I hate aerobraking. I still have nightmares after “Kadmosâ€Â, you know?

NED: Don't worry. I literally spend hours watching the heat shield, so we would know whether something's wrong weeks before entering Eve's SOI.

JEB: Yeah. And with the Automatic Miner Unit we will have effectively unlimited fuel.

SID: But we do have plan B, do we? In case AMU falls apart or something?

JEB: Sure; “in the unlikely event…â€Â, yadda yadda yadda, we can use the Eve Lander Transfer Module to abort the mission and return home.

NED: They really thought about everything, didn't they?

JEB: I would prefer to know WHO is landing on Eve however.

SID: Yes, this is puzzling. Why hide this information in the first place?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Attention all personnel. Eve transfer burn in T minus 3 hours.

NED: Jeb?

JEB: I should go. Take care.

SID: You too.

gRF7C5E.jpg

BERTY v.2.0.8: Everything is ready, commander. We can proceed as soon as the transfer window opens.

JEB: Thanks BERTY. You know, I wonder sometimes whether you need me at all to fly this baby.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Commander?

JEB: I mean, why am I here? You can obviously take care of this burn entirely on your own.

BERTY v.2.0.8: With all due respect, I think you are missing a point, Jeb.

JEB: Which is?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Although so far all errors made by AI units of MJ-9000 series were attributed to either invalid or incorrect data or kerbal mistake, the presence of a living pilot is vital for the mission success. Understandably my capabilities in computing, multitasking and speed is far beyond any kerbal reach. However, your experience and intuition cannot be easily simulated, if it is possible at all. Using simple metaphor – minds running on organic hardware are much more sophisticated than artificial intelligences. I can provide raw computing power but there are many subtleties of space travel in which I lack expertise. It's not only the matter of delta-V, radiation levels and other variables. Inside the “Proteus†there are living, breathing beings with their own specific needs. Delivering ship to the point of destination is something entirely different than delivering ship with healthy and capable of its duties crew. After all, so far from home we have only each other.

PmZdmdA.jpg

JEB: Wait, are you telling me that I'm here to make everyone feel safer? That's it?

BERTY v.2.0.8: Yes. But there are more important tasks than providing psychological comfort to the crew. In case of critical failure the fate of the mission is completely in your hands. As a commander, ultimately the responsibility is yours. Therefore, thinking about me as a de facto pilot and downgrading one's role has been proven to be incorrect.

JEB: Wow. I don't know what to say.

BERTY v.2.0.8: I like to think about us as partners. Can we be partners, Jeb?

JEB: I… I guess we can, BERTY.

BERTY v.2.0.8: Thank you. This makes me very happy. Shall we prepare for the transfer burn?

JEB: Sure thing… partner.

aBz8JaJ.jpg

- End of recording.

- Very good.

- I'm happy to be useful for the mission.

- You certainly are. This gives us hope to soothe the conflict between him and Bob.

- Can I ask you a question, AUTHORIZATION LEVEL ALFA?

- Go on BERTY.

- Is it moral to use my psychology software to manipulate the crew members in such manner?

- What? Why do you ask about it?

- Improving my knowledge about kerbal interactions during deep space mission is one of my top priorities, AUTHORIZATION LEVEL ALFA.

- Leave the ethics to living beings and concentrate on something useful instead.

- Affirmative.

- There is nothing more important than our mission.

- I understand. Warning. Corrective maneuvers required after leaving Moho's sphere of influence. Calculating.

- Good. I expect smooth sailing – I don't want any surprises BERTY.

- I'll do my best.

cKogbF2.jpg

MISSION STATUS

1qFle2A.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.