The Vanguard

Growing up some of my favorite stories were about generational ships. Ships that outlived their designers and builders. To become a home for a crew that will never know another. So when i started playing KSP i really wanted to create a ship I would feel comfortable sending into the inky blackness beyond the Kerbol System. So here it is, The Vanguard

primary_construction.png

Drive_View.png

Stats:

Crew Capacity:

• In Habitat Module: 256
  • In landers: 12 (shown) 76 (planned)

Length: 116.56 Meters

Part Count: 3324

Weight:

• Full: 3080.6
  • Dry: 1544.6
  • Reserve Dry: 1280.6

Available Fuel:

• Liquid Fuel: 168480
  • Oxidizer: 205920
  • MonoPropellant: 40150

Main Drive: 70 LV-N

Landers:

• One Astron-class Tylo/Kerbin capable SSTO (6 Kerbal capacity)
  • One Sparrow-class Laythe SSTO (8 Kerbal capacity)

Berths for 4 Haul-U SSTO, Design Stolen from antbin (17 Kerbal capacity each - Not Shown)

Launcher_pron.png

Burn.png

I used Crew Manifest to load the Spaceplanes and transfered them 16 at a time. only took 16 trips but i wanted to give them a smoother ride than a rocket-ship :)

Crew_Transfer.png

MechJeb on the landers because i like the landings to be very repeatable and i apparently cant do that by hand

I have a Tanker that will deliver 8 full Jumbos to a 400km orbit around Kerbin, which was used to refuel

Refuel.png

This has been a really fun project and I want to thank

Blizzue for letting me borrow his computer

antbin for making a really nice spaceplane that i borrowed for crew transfer

and Scott Manley whoes Tylo or Bust series got me started on this project

All I need now is to fly the spaceplanes back up to their berths, and we are ready to go!

PhotoBucket library of the build so far

What! Over 3000 Parts that is way to much For my computer to handle. It would probably Burn my computer to a crispy piece of bacon

Did you cheat it into orbit or did you do it yourself?

I already commented at the time, but yeah, this thing is still a marvel of KSP engineering. I wonder if you'll ever ever release at least the landers? Or make a step-by-step building album, the last time I checked it was a bit confusing to follow.

Rune. In fact, since the forum probably ate the rep I gave you for it, here you go again.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Saw this in the motherships thread. I must say, it is a magnificence.

But did you take it anywhere?

This is a necro of this thread but i wanted to say i did take it to Jool to play with re-entry effects when they came out, I also attached a bunch of legs and parachutes and landed the habitat module on Duna :). I have started to build it again and bring it all back up to the current version of the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.