[1.12.5] Window - Change the default FOV

Halban

pJ1snVo.jpeg

Window adjusts the default field of view such that you're looking through your monitor as though it were a window on to space. It also lets you manually adjust the default FOV.

You'll find the new settings in the stock mini-settings window that you open via the pause menu, just under the graphics section. There you can enter the horizontal width of your monitor and its distance from your eyes.

G7SC74I.png 

Dependencies

- HarmonyKSP

Download

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3722/Window
Github: https://github.com/Halbann/Window/releases

Source

The complete source for Window is available on Github:
https://github.com/Halbann/Window

License

Window is distributed under the MIT license.

Needless Justification

When I played RSS for the first time I was fascinated with the scale - being in LEO feels nothing like being in LKO. There's so much less curvature, everything moves more slowly, the surface feels closer. It's quite serene - especially with the graphics mods we've got now. I wonder if this is what it's like to really be there? Am I seeing everything just as an astronaut on the ISS would see it? Would my home country look that big from up here? Would the horizon curve quite like that at this altitude? How high would I have to go to see the entire Earth within my field of view? How much detail would I be able to see in those mountains over there?

I was unsure.

And then I realised I was looking at everything through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. Not a very big pair of binoculars - actually a pretty small pair - but it was through the wrong end nonetheless. Everything appeared a bit smaller on my screen, and in my field of vision, than it would if I were looking at it with my own eyes. What I wanted was for the field of view of the game's camera to be exactly what the monitor was occupying in my field of vision, no magnification, no reduction, no distortion: the object's image on my retina exactly the same size as if was looking straight at it, like a window. 

So, in order to turn your monitor into a window, you need to work out the visual angle of your monitor in your field of vision and apply it to the camera. This way, you'll have perfect straight lines beaming directly out of your pupil and into the hit game Kerbal Space Program. For that you need to know the width of the monitor, and the distance from the monitor to your eye.

Monitor's Visual Angle = 2 * Arctangent((Monitor Width / 2) / Monitor Distance)

So that's all this mod does. You plug the measurements in, the mod remembers them and applies the "correct" field of view when you load into flight. It's not very noticeable, but there's a certain pleasure in knowing that the scale of Jupiter's storms, of Saturn's rings, of the Moon's craters, and of home, are just as they would appear on your eye were you really there.

xN9ffvI.jpeg

Edited by Halban