[WEB APP] Ribbon Generator [1.1.2] [ABANDONED]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spent a week in sandbox mode, and have guys or probes in orbit around everything with a gravity well that I can find. So I decided to start career mode, first evening in I think I did pretty well, generated some ribbons, even orbited three bodies(not counting the sun) on one launch with a safe return using a multi-orbit airbrake to drop from a steep orbit because I was too low on fuel to risk a final burn to deorbit. , but I can't find the button to edit my signature to post my ribbons. Do new forum users not get a signature or something? It seems to be missing from the settings page... spent an hour looking for it. It's been a few years since I installed vbulletin, so this installation is all different than the versions I've worked with...

Damned addictive game. I went 20 years with little interest in computer games, then $23 and I'm hooked. At least I have something to do while the wife watches football now...

Keoki

image.php?ribbon=15637

Just as a reminder (I feel cheap for asking this), the server on which the ribbon generator is is not free, I have to pay for ut. At the moment, I am not working since I am studying and I need to focus on that It would be nice if some of you could make me a small donation to help to pay the server. It doesn't have to be a big amount, just something to help would be really appreciated. There is a paypal button on the FAQ page if you are willing.

This is pretty sweet. My only suggestion for improvement to the mission flag generator is the option to put Roman Numerals onto flags to reflect mission numbers. Otherwise top notch.

Server donation made :)

I would recommend not putting Roman Numerals onto the ribbons. There are already a ton of possible devices and space is now at a premium. You also don't want the ribbon looking "busy".

Hypothetically, lets say I have 16 missions to the sun. Using your signature as an example, the Sun mission ribbon, imagine having "XVI" anywhere on the ribbon. Now imagine it on your Mun ribbon in the same place. See my point?

What you could do is something similar to existing formats. Specifically the "anomalous black dot" in the lower right.

With most military ribbon devices, gold colored devices denotes a single "award", while silver denotes "5 awards". So, lets say, on the left side of the ribbon, where the edge color is, you create a space for 3 (possible) stacked "devices". For now, lets use the dot you already have. Getting back to the 16 missions, the ribbon itself is 1, so you would have 3 silver vertically stacked dot's.

Obviously, any more than 16 and you'd need another ribbon of the same type to display the devices (see linked wiki). Alternatively, you could ignore the military way an just assign various "colored dots" for a range of mission's (IE: 1 to 5 = gold, 5 to 20 = silver, over 20 = Kerbal green! :P )

Anyway....M2CW

I don't mean adding the numerals to the ribbons LeadMagnet, I meant for the mission flags generator.

I reckon the numeral should be about 1/3rd the height of the flag (i.e. same thickness as the moon cross-band on those flags that have them) and located in the centre of the top 2/3 of the image (i.e. the centre of the numeral line is 1/3 of the way down the flag), particularly as the orbital line and the ship icon are offset below the centre, this should avoid any ugly or obscuring overlap.

As for the font, I've really no idea, though I suspect white with a black border, as with the ship icons would match nicely. Rounded corners would also probably match the style of the ship icons somewhat.

I made an example in MSPaint to as best as possible try to illustrate what I mean. I used Lucida Bright as the font, and hand edited a border with slightly rounded corners, but I'm sure there are some purpose fonts out there that would look much neater.

flag_mun_VIII_zps114d90a4.png

With most military ribbon devices, gold colored devices denotes a single "award", while silver denotes "5 awards".

Actually, that just refers to the US forces. For the Commonwealth countries, France and Germany at least, you get a bar denoting campaigns or battles, but worn on the full ribbon with the medal.

Edited by Osprey
Additional reply

I also had another suggestion/idea...

there are devices for returning things to kerbin, etc.

but I don't see anything for "just visiting"... like, if I see someone's signature, and see they have a probe lander somewhere, I just assume that there's a probe sitting there

but like in my case, both my duna and eve missions, the probes landed on the moons, then launched up and landed on the planets...

Maybe a "just visiting" sort of device in the place of the return chevron or something?

I can't really think of a small, graphically simple way of doing that that wouldn't add to the clutter of the ribbon, but I'm sure if someone else likes the idea, someone can think of something.

Hey,

First of all, love the ribbons. I was wondering if you would be interested in expanding this idea and eventually working with blizzy78 and his achievement mod ([0.22.0] Achievements 1.5.1 - Earn 132 achievements while playing) that gives achievements in-game. It's still being worked on, and it would need more precise achievements to add to the existing global ones but it could make the ribbon for you with the achievements you have on one of your saves or on all if your games. You just attribute the logos you made to each achievement he creates for them with the in-flight info of biomes, g's, altitude, temperature, time of flight, orbital info, planets ... You can then have it displayed in game, or enter the info on your site to have the ribbon pop up. Different sort of ribbons can then be made, the first being planetary exploration (the ribbons you already made), then the more global achievements (concerning inflight data: altitude achieved, max temperature, g's, crew survival, ...)

Hope this interests you :)

I went the route of having just a flag. Means I have placed a lander and kerbal on a body, they lived and planted a flag.

It would be nice to have pips of some sort to show the many ways a body can be reached. Not very big but some sign you have put a probe, lander, kerbal, flag, multpart ship and base on a planet instead of just a flag...

They could be on the center stripe...

oKRYBLV.png

Hey,

First of all, love the ribbons. I was wondering if you would be interested in expanding this idea and eventually working with blizzy78 and his achievement mod ([0.22.0] Achievements 1.5.1 - Earn 132 achievements while playing) that gives achievements in-game. It's still being worked on, and it would need more precise achievements to add to the existing global ones but it could make the ribbon for you with the achievements you have on one of your saves or on all if your games. You just attribute the logos you made to each achievement he creates for them with the in-flight info of biomes, g's, altitude, temperature, time of flight, orbital info, planets ... You can then have it displayed in game, or enter the info on your site to have the ribbon pop up. Different sort of ribbons can then be made, the first being planetary exploration (the ribbons you already made), then the more global achievements (concerning inflight data: altitude achieved, max temperature, g's, crew survival, ...)

Hope this interests you :)

You should propose that to the creator of the mod himself or to Unistrut. He's the one who created the ribbons, I only made a generator for it (I do not own those ribbons).

I went the route of having just a flag. Means I have placed a lander and kerbal on a body, they lived and planted a flag.

It would be nice to have pips of some sort to show the many ways a body can be reached. Not very big but some sign you have put a probe, lander, kerbal, flag, multpart ship and base on a planet instead of just a flag...

They could be on the center stripe...

oKRYBLV.png

As of above, you should suggest this to Unistrut on the ribbon's thread. This thread is specific to the ribbon generator, not suggestions on the ribbons themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I was asking for this in another thread: I would like to use the ribbons in a mod I'm currently developing. So my question is: can I use the generated ribbons modified and unmodified in a KSP mod (given you credit of course)? If yes which license would apply?