[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Have you tried only deactivate the ASAS ?
Yes, it never did a thing to correct the issue. I have removed the plugin and I'm now encountering no issues. Never found a use for it anyway. Edited by Good_Apollo

I saw something about Delta IV and nearly blacked out! I want Delta IV Heavy! :D Now... where was I?

Oh yes. What's the best way people have found to anchor payloads in the Buran payload bay? I see there are 2 nodes at the back, I can do it using one of fusty's CBM ports to old the stuff still during launch, I just wondered if anyone else had a more 'discreet' method (i.e. one that wasn't as visible)? I suppose I can use smaller CBMs and put them under the cargo and release them with a key? I am avoiding using seps because they throw the cargo clear which is not ideal using the maipulator, I expect it'll break it.

Any other suggestions?

Yes, it never did a thing to correct the issue. I have removed the plugin and I'm now encountering no issues. Never found a use for it anyway.

It's no coincidence, I suspect, that the AdvancedSAS plugin that Bobcat uses is the only one left that's not been updated for 20.x... I suspect it's bugging out on 20.x and causing these issues and it's not MechJeb?

Edited by MDBenson

There's indeed a problem with the parachutes on Orion as someone mentioned previously.

minAirPressureToOpen = 0.5

0.5 bar is too high value, the parachutes only open at 2500m on Kerbin (which is lower than some mountains!) and don't open on Duna at all. Stock parachutes open at 0.01 bar. On Duna parachutes should open no later than at 0.03 or 0.04 bar.

The problem is the stock parachutes open way to HIGH, some open while going through the reentry firey hell part which, with deadly re-entry, probably leads to OOPS no parachute.

I agree the opening pressure is a smidge too high but I've had no issues on Kerbin, for me they open at about 3500m and slow the craft down well enough to stop it slamming the ground. I don't have FAR installed yet though...

There's indeed a problem with the parachutes on Orion as someone mentioned previously.

minAirPressureToOpen = 0.5

0.5 bar is too high value, the parachutes only open at 2500m on Kerbin (which is lower than some mountains!) and don't open on Duna at all. Stock parachutes open at 0.01 bar. On Duna parachutes should open no later than at 0.03 or 0.04 bar.

Orion isn't designed to land on Duna! And it's also designed to land in the ocean, and on land only in a contingency.

Orion isn't designed to land on Duna! And it's also designed to land in the ocean, and on land only in a contingency.
Imagine a journey to mars only in the Orion command module with no way of returning once landed.:rolleyes:

I did wonder when I read it why the Sam Hill he was landing an Orion capsule via parachute on Duna! It's a bit evil doing that and leaving them no way home and only a trashcan with windows to live in!! :D

Seriously though, Nibb31 is right, really. Orion is designed for a water splashdown through earth's atmosphere.

I did wonder when I read it why the Sam Hill he was landing an Orion capsule via parachute on Duna! It's a bit evil doing that and leaving them no way home and only a trashcan with windows to live in!! :D

Seriously though, Nibb31 is right, really. Orion is designed for a water splashdown through earth's atmosphere.

Yeah, but now I've got one of my patently barmy ideas percolating about this... :D

BobCat, are you still working on Soyuz? If yes, are you planning to make any further improvements to LES? Historicaly OGB SAS consisted of Orbital module, descend module, top shroud and escape tower. Is it even possible in KSP at the moment (I'm not fully familiar with KSP limitations yet)? Maybe if top shroud had attachment nodes to the ship or to the tower it would work?

BobCat, are you still working on Soyuz? If yes, are you planning to make any further improvements to LES? Historicaly OGB SAS consisted of Orbital module, descend module, top shroud and escape tower. Is it even possible in KSP at the moment (I'm not fully familiar with KSP limitations yet)? Maybe if top shroud had attachment nodes to the ship or to the tower it would work?

After KSP can modulate fail launch.

I fail launches a lot with the gravity turn, it works perfectly, as well as orions. The LES is helpful, if you could find someone to write a plugin, you could likely have the math done to sometimes fail a launch, like fuel deprivement or loss, many things.

There was a loooooong series of posts on conforming the LES to the real abort profile in the old thread that was lost in the Great Forum Apocalypse. The bottom line: it is possible to modify the parts so that (as you guessed) the top shroud attaches to the ship and not to the booster (with the bottom shroud attaching to the booster, but not the top shroud), but it's not particularly easy to do if you don't know how to actually model parts in Unity.

Speaking of LES, BobCat, would it be possible to fit two different sets of engines in LES, both activateable (cool word :)) via action group commands - one just like current one for abort, and second set - much less powerful - for nominal jettison. The reason is that currently if I jettison LES at the time in happens in real life (about the time of strapon sep), it's so light that it flies away onto escape trajectory! So right now I'm forced to jettison it much earlier (at 3-4 km ASL) so it would actually fall down to the planet.

It's not too complex, not at all. I'd be really glad if you added jettison motors to both Orion and Soyuz LES. They had them IRL.

asmi

its possible, but too complex for KSP users.

Why is it so? I'm pretty sure that the largest part of users who actually use your mods are what I call "seasoned KSP players".

I read the forum, although not very often I write.

And I can see that for most people who use my addons difficult to understand all the functions of technical intricacies, etc.

At the moment I think that the community is not ready for such complex mechanisms as separate motor control system of salvation, or motor soft landing for the capsule.

Especially since it's useless until the crew will not die from large G overloads etc. Too much work and minimal profit.

AresV 2 stage tests

016a2eb52c84458e404d312b79284f91.png

37d41246eeb9a3a81372761ac26c1264.png

One question How much is able to load the shuttle Buran in the cargo compartment? because I have filled and I can not seem to make an orbit is very heavy and I run out of fuel before completing achieve low orbit.