[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

m4ti140

Dragon already making any variants LES shrouds(Im special making top and bottom shroud). Im like how it work in current version.

Edited by BobCat

m4ti140

Dragon already making any variants LES shrouds(Im special making top and bottom shroud). Im like how it work in current version.

Again, what do you mean? Could you write it down in Russian as well, please?

m4ti140

Im already have a lot variants configs LES and shroud system. Current variant optimal.

I.R.L.

No, I will not do SLS. Feel free.

Edited by BobCat

Awesome video of your Ares booster. Watching the NASA video there are a few little details I'd like to see added to the Ares I and Orion too if you can. Non of it is major stuff but it looks handy, especially some of the separation motors etc. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can work it out and if not we'll just action group it :)

Dat descent stage!

Also:

Hey Bobcat, after your done with the next round of updates for your mods, could you add an R7 type fairing set and a optional olive drab green retexture for the Soyuz first stage and boosters too make the Soyuz parts (that formed the R7)look like an R7

Edited by DarthVader

A slight issue: I I just tried to fly the Ares I / Orion with FAR in place. It went end-over-end at about 9000m. I was using MechJeb 2.0.8 BUT wasn't in a gravity turn (I set it to 25km to avoid disturbiung the SRB flight. Okay, I hear you say, so what? I removed the LES and it wasn't as severe, FAR Pitch Damper actually managed to tune it out. I removed the LES AND the docking port and it flew straight like an arrow. Odd. Is the drag co-efficient very high on those parts? I think it might be slightly TOO high :)

The Lander looks AWESOME so far, by the way. I am looking forward to using it on a trip to the Mun :)

Bobcat I found a interesting Ghost In The Machine bug while adding some plugin code to the Soyuz TMA parts. I was adding MechJeb 2.0.8 and Chatterer 0.4.1 (0.20 compatible). Something in the interaction of these two plugin's being part of the Part.Cfg file for the SoyuzTMA_Decent_Module causes that part to freeze in space and hover in midair and be totally unmoveable. After 5 different tests with fresh installs of 0.20.2 and both mods I'm sure its Chatterer causing the issue as the part works and flies properly with only Mj or only Chatterer in it's cfg. When the two are combined it freezes.

Just thought I would share this interesting bug. I wasn't getting any error codes in the debug menu so I don't know what the exact interaction between the part and 2 plugins that's causing the issue.

I'm still loving all your mods Keep up the good work.

m4ti140

Im already have a lot variants configs LES and shroud system. Current variant optimal.

If you mean version 1.8.5, that variant doesn't work. After I did a few modifications to part.cfg's it started to work. Anyway, am I allowed to upload those modified cfg's for other users, or am I prohibited?

íтþ, чтþ õÑÂÑ‚ÑŒ ò òÑÂÑ€ÑÂøø 1.8.5 ýõ рþñþтðõт úðú ýðôþ. Úþóôð Ñ ÑÂôõûðû ýõñþûьшøõ ø÷üõýõýøѠò ÿðрт.цфó рðñþтðõт úðú ò рõðûьýþÑÂтø. Ãœþóу ûø Ѡ÷ðóру÷øть üþôøфøцøрþòðýýыõ ÿðрт.цфó ôûѠôруóøх?

ï ø÷òøýøтõ ÷ð üþù ÃʄĄÂÑÂúøù, Ѡø÷ ßþûьшø

Bobcat: What did you base your calculations of the Ares I SRB behaviour on?

I'm curious as the SRB generates a lot of thrust and burns out early (~12km). The Shuttle SRBs were a segment shorter and lasted up to 45km before SRB sep., Ares I-X's peak altitude was expected to be 48km. Perhaps you could ramp the thrust down and the burn time up? It would help with stability (less problems due to drag) and make it work better as a launcher, maybe? I am really struggling to even get it to a circular 200km orbit on the SRB + Second stage.

EDIT: I read the Press kit for the Ares 1-X launch and the predicted SRB sep was 130,000ft (~40km). I assume the performance of rockets is subject to the same 64% rule as everything else in KSP, so I make that 26km on Kerbin. I reduced the thrust value to 4250 and upped the fuel to 27500 and it seems more like the right performance now.

EDIT 2: A nice little detail that I spotted in the NASA Animation was the Ullage motors in the Aft Skirt of the SRB and on the 2nd stage fuel tank. I added them and set up staging to ignite the 2nd stage motors, then ignite the aft skirt motors as the parts separate. The eefect is far too dramatic in KSP because KW Rocketry's Ullage motors are rather heavy-duty but it is cool and makes a MUCH cleaner 2nd stage sep. You just have to remember to stage the thing 3 times in quick succession :)

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

You can see my staging on the right side of those shots :)

Edited by MDBenson

What do I need to do to fix this?

Just open up the GameData folder, delete the "BobCatind" folder, and unzip the Soviet Pack 1.8.5 back in... it's just an unnecessary duplication.

Ok, fatal error for me now though; I cannot open any Soviet Pack craft on the launcher without causing a fatal "Runtime Error" which crashes KSP entirely but doesn't generate an error log folder for me to trace the cause. This is using the latest KSP version. Does anyone know what is causing it? I'm wondering if there increasingly complex series of steps required has gone wrong somewhere, so can someone explain here, in simple format with links, which version of the minimal but most recent mods to get a working Soviet Buran/Kliper and Arm back from a clean install, so I can replicate them and make sure it's not a mod clash somewhere? Thanks!

Looking extra-good BobCat :)

I built and tested an Antares-like launcher/lander package (Which I'm quite proud of, even if I did use other people's designs and modilfy them! ;) ) to test with Orion but have a question. Which docking ports is the Orion Docking Port compatible with in the game? Can I use a 'RS Docking Node' or a 'Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port'?

Also I too am having problems with the Orion capsule 'exploding' into a shower of parts if I switch away from it to another module and then back. I know you said it's because the game does something weird to the physics, but I don't have the issue with other parts. It's something to do with the Service Module being attached to the Crew Capsule as when that's not attached the problem doesn't occur. Could you test that briefly on your system and see if it's something we have installed or not? I'd like (you) to solve it as part of my Ares I launch involves de-orbiting the second stage to avoid debris issues. I'm going to test with an alternate service stage and see if that solves the issue.

EDIT: Nope, tried a different service stage and when I turned back to Orion it was tumbling and the service stage exploded. Must be something to do with the attachment of the capsule to the service stage below?

Edited by MDBenson

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before,but i have some trouble with the Kvant-1 module. No matter with what i launch it,be it Buran or Proton,the camera dislocates far behind the craft,followed by a wild out of control spin. All other MIR modules work fine except for this one. Maybe someone could enlighten me of what might be wrong with the module.

Shroom: Update Kerbal Attachment System. Remove the .dll that's included with the BobCat package and use the full version that you can download from the spaceport. That should fix the camera issue at least.....

@Shrrom and Daver:

Well, that's only one thing, after you update KAS you also need to change module entries in part.cfg's of parts that use KAS module, bc they are a bit different in current KAS version, otherwise they won't work. E.g. for Mir Core Top Solar Panel you need to replace this:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleEvaGrab
grabKey = g
grabMaxDistance = 2
grabBreakForce = 3
grabbedPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.25)
grabbedPartRot = (180.0, 90.0, 0.0)

attachKey = h
attachMaxDistance = 2
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = True
attachOnStatic = False
}

with this:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
grabKey = g
maxDistance = 2
breakForce = 3
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.25)
evaPartRot = (180.0, 90.0, 0.0)
addPartMass = true
grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab
}
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleAttach
attachKey = h
rotateLeftKey = b
rotateRightKey = n
surfaceDist = 0.08
maxDistance = 2
allowPart = True
allowEva = True
allowStatic = False
sendMsgOnly = False
pointerUseModel = True
partRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
}

This will allow to place solar panels on surface in space, using eva. You need to do pretty much the same on Kvant-1 solar panels. Figuring out the correct surfaceDist value requires some trial and error.

Edited by m4ti140

I've just started getting a weird bug with the Orion pod, and it's just the pod, where it causes mechjeb to become completely unresponsive, or just spin the pod around in circles with rcs. Also noticed that during a launch, all the staging icons had moved just off screen, I could make out the edge of the ASAS intensity bar, and that's it. Couldn't launch, even manually, as it seemed to have locked out all my staging controls.

I've just started getting a weird bug with the Orion pod, and it's just the pod, where it causes mechjeb to become completely unresponsive, or just spin the pod around in circles with rcs. Also noticed that during a launch, all the staging icons had moved just off screen, I could make out the edge of the ASAS intensity bar, and that's it. Couldn't launch, even manually, as it seemed to have locked out all my staging controls.

Can you verify you are definitely running 0.20.2, not 0.20.1 (you can see on the main 'Start Game' screen in the bottom right corner)? I had all sorts of issues with the UI going crackers, MechJeb screwing up and the staging icons disappearing in 0.20.1 which made it unplayable with most mods, it was a badly bugged release and you should upgrade to 0.20.2 immediately unless you have a specific reason not to.

Aside from that, I think the Orion pod that's released at the moment needed a fresh pass through the debugger, it seems to have a few 'interesting' issues ;) I know BobCat has a newer version with proper dual parachutes that will come with the new American pack with Ares V/Altair (I called it Antares earlier to my stupidity, that was the Apollo 14 lander :P) so I hope he's ironed out the wrinkles :)

Edited by MDBenson

Shroom: Update Kerbal Attachment System. Remove the .dll that's included with the BobCat package and use the full version that you can download from the spaceport. That should fix the camera issue at least.....

Thanks,it does remedy the camera and wild spin bug.