[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Basing on what I can see in the video, the 'descend mode' button shifts the center of mass, so that you can perform lifting reentry with FAR (which is the deffault reentry profle in real life). Previously you could only do the emergency variant, i.e. balistic reentry (with "nose" pointed retrograde and velocity vector perpendicular to heatshield, thus with no lift being produced). Am I right, BobCat?

Yes. This work like IRL but only if you use FAR.

Neat, that's very realistic. It won't start spinning on it's own, though, even if you turn SAS off, right? This is what happens IRL, but I don't know if this can be done in KSP.

If you drive accurate , no any spining or uncontrol state. Full control descent , you can move faster or clower, just change angleof attack .

If you drive accurate , no any spining or uncontrol state. Full control descent , you can move faster or clower, just change angleof attack .

So tell me, what happens if I set the mode to "controlled reentry", but turn SAS off and don't touch the controls? Will it start spinning and undergo ballistic reentry?

So tell me, what happens if I set the mode to "controlled reentry", but turn SAS off and don't touch the controls? Will it start spinning and undergo ballistic reentry?

No it won't, which is not entirely realistic since real Soyuz DM used gyrodine to dampen out oscillations.

Right now you can use roll to control descend trajectory - if you roll to the side from "CoM-up" attitude, your AoA decreases and it turns slightly to that side. In real life that gives about ±75km cross-range. Again, in real Soyuz manual descent mode doesn't not give any cross-range control, only AoA via roll as it uses gyrodine to keep yaw at zero.

Let me guess. You have the American Pack folder under BobCatInd folder, like you used to. As of the latest release, this is incorrect. You need to put the AmericanPack folder into GameData. Also, make sure it's name is AmericanPack. The mod assumes models are located in a specific folder.

Well, this was my first time ever installing the American Pack. I loaded the entire unzip file into GameData with a single click and drag operation. (Much the same way you might load any other mod, like NovaPunch or KWRocketry.)

I'll review this as soon as I can and see if that's what happened. If so, then the install instructions on Kerbal Spaceport should be updated to match this install procedure. Right now it just says to copy the contents of "GameData" into "GameData".

No it won't, which is not entirely realistic since real Soyuz DM used gyrodine to dampen out oscillations.

Right now you can use roll to control descend trajectory - if you roll to the side from "CoM-up" attitude, your AoA decreases and it turns slightly to that side. In real life that gives about ±75km cross-range. Again, in real Soyuz manual descent mode doesn't not give any cross-range control, only AoA via roll as it uses gyrodine to keep yaw at zero.

I wonder if there's any way to simulate those oscillations. Probably not, KSP is probably too idealized for that, even with FAR. Gyrodine simulation doesn't sound like much of a stretch, at least, simply nerf whatever SAS it has to only control yaw. Roll thrusters would be a bigger problem, though for the time being, we could just allow SAS to control roll, too.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but since i can´t search for 3 words into the search function I had no luck.

I have always loved your buran and Soyuz replicad and played a lot with it back into 0.21

However, now I'm also addicted to Real Solar System + FAR + Modular Fuel System and haven´t been playing without it. As a matter of fact I know lots of people that also finished carreer mode, haven´t been back to stock ksp for a good couple of months now.

I haven´t been much updated with FAR lately. Is it natively compatible with the soviet pack or do we need to manualy configure drag and shapre characteristics of each part, specially for the buran wings, and rudder, etc? Is there a compatibiliy patch somewhere?

The same goes for MFS: Is there any compatible patch somewhere? I have already familiarized myself with the .cfgs of it, but i wonder if just adjusting the masses of each part.cfg and the engines accordingly will be enough? I know the overall weight of the soyuz: 310~ tons, but anywhere I can find the specific weight and most important: VOLUME OF THE TANKS for each stages?

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this has already been asked.

Yeah, too much would've changed. Though if you deorbit all Soyuzes, you might stand a chance. That is, unless the next update will also feature MIR modules...

Well, but if you'll release them at the same time, no point in retaining the old MIR, right? But if you won't, then no problem. In that case, getting rid of all Soyuz and Progress spacecraft from the save before installing the update will do.

Well, depends on what BobCat will do, but it only seems logical that he'll do Progress M along with Soyuz TMA. It's a matter of some slight changes to ISM (mostly RCS, Progress doesn't have those ports on the skirt, but it's rear motors have double nozzles), windowless OM (called PM, Pressurized Module) and a different DM (called RM, Refuelling Module). Perhaps also different RCS blocks (different nozzle arrangement, no roll thrusters), if BobCat decides to go into such detail (quite likely, considering the new Soyuz). So better to deorbit them.

As for the MIR, I don't know if 0.23 and 0.22 saves will be compatible, but MIR will be in a separate pack, so unless Squad breaks something, it'll probably survive the Soyuz release.

Well, Spaceport hates large downloads, not to mention not everyone needs all those ships. Also, this would mean you won't have to re-download the entire pack whenever there's a small update to one of the ships.