[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Now you can support all my project and make donation.

Hey BobCat,

I don't speak up very often, but I still lurk here a lot. You put a lot of work into your mods and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of them in the past. I haven't actually been playing KSP for a few months now, but I intend to come back to it and I hope you are still here making awesome mods when I do.

I sent you what I hope is a nice tip as a thank you for all your hard work. Keep doing what you do! :D

Edited by Yasutaka
typo

I would hate to lose my Mir, especially as Im still building it...

Get used to it. Everything we do now is merely practice for KSP 1.0. Mods will break or die out, saves will be incompatible, anything is possible from update to update in order to advance the design of the game. It's the price of being an early adopter.

Will the docking module be introduced into the pack? I know there is one on Spaceport already but would be nice to have it in the pack

In next update? I dont think so.

Hey BobCat,

I don't speak up very often, but I still lurk here a lot. You put a lot of work into your mods and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of them in the past. I haven't actually been playing KSP for a few months now, but I intend to come back to it and I hope you are still here making awesome mods when I do.

I sent you what I hope is a nice tip as a thank you for all your hard work. Keep doing what you do!

Thank you man. I hope in the future is not yet time to surprise users wonderful creations

Can you change the Soyuz ST payload fairing texture so that it doesn't say the Galileo mission on it?

This special maded for users request. You can change this label in any image editor.

This special maded for users request. You can change this label in any image editor.

That got me thinking. Asmi is doing a reentry texture swap plugin, right? Would that be hard to make it also possible to swap "main" textures in VAB? For example, Soyuz had many different paint schemes through it's service life:

http://api.ning.com/files/1w6gnZGHF*aIx3DPJUJPkP*EH6TAK5fUtX1trxdbpygFRg3-GR6eYnFhCzUQReO8dMpUQ38NSHHkC4fA-fN92RBNmMVINUYR/soyuzset.jpg?width=631&height=600

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090326134559/cnc/images/7/71/SoyuzRocket_Real1.jpg

Same goes for N1, and Buran, if successful, would've probably used different hull markings for different orbiters, like the Shuttle. Also, if you decided to do the MIR DC, Rassvet only differs from it by texture. If you had a texture swapper plugin, you could very easily allow for multiple logos for ST fairings, multiple textures for Soyuz LV, maybe even including a white Vostok-style paint scheme and various gray/white/orange variants used on R-7 derived rockets over the year. Rassvet and MIR DC would become a single part, once again streamlining the mod. Just an idea, some people would surely find it very useful.

Hey, Bobcat, thanks for including RasterPropMonitor, it's a fantastic little plugin. Also, I hope that the ISS pack will get some love later on. I've been redesigning the truss segments(just for fun) if you want me to send them to you.

That got me thinking. Asmi is doing a reentry texture swap plugin, right? Would that be hard to make it also possible to swap "main" textures in VAB? For example, Soyuz had many different paint schemes through it's service life:

http://api.ning.com/files/1w6gnZGHF*aIx3DPJUJPkP*EH6TAK5fUtX1trxdbpygFRg3-GR6eYnFhCzUQReO8dMpUQ38NSHHkC4fA-fN92RBNmMVINUYR/soyuzset.jpg?width=631&height=600

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090326134559/cnc/images/7/71/SoyuzRocket_Real1.jpg

Same goes for N1, and Buran, if successful, would've probably used different hull markings for different orbiters, like the Shuttle. Also, if you decided to do the MIR DC, Rassvet only differs from it by texture. If you had a texture swapper plugin, you could very easily allow for multiple logos for ST fairings, multiple textures for Soyuz LV, maybe even including a white Vostok-style paint scheme and various gray/white/orange variants used on R-7 derived rockets over the year. Rassvet and MIR DC would become a single part, once again streamlining the mod. Just an idea, some people would surely find it very useful.

The firespitter plugin comes with a fully functional texture switcher, which is available in the action groups tab.

Technically the white isn't a paint scheme since all soyuz variants were either all grey or all green. The white is just frost forming on the cryogenic tanks.

Edited by scorchdestroya

Yeah, but that would introduce another plugin. Perhaps this is a good idea, but if Asmi's plugin can be made to do it (it's a texture switcher, it just works on reentry instead of user prompt, and it can do the latter in debug mode), it'd be a neater solution.

Question: I can't seem to get the MFDs to work at all. They just stay stuck at "Initializing monitor..." and lag like crazy. How do I fix that?

That looks like an old pre-0.6 plugin DLL being used with configuration files written for a later version. How'd you end up with that?

Wow, lovely. :) Just get rid of the aft radial RCS ports and make the prograde ones double (this looks like PAO from Soyuz TMA). If the current version is any indication, Progress' COM will be much further forward than Soyuz'. Also, it's not real clear from the picture, are the roll thrusters removed from the RCS blocks? Though, given that you didn't model the real up/down translation thrusters, it might be a good idea to leave them in...

Use precision mode (CAPS LOCK) and be careful with it. It's temperamental.

Yes, like old pack , progress M use Soyuz TMA PAO. i think in this moment its good solution.

Well, it'll look a bit off considering how detailed you're making the rest of the pack. You can clearly see here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Progress_M-52.jpg

No skirt-mounted RCS on Progress. The roll thrusters aren't there either. Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures of Progress from the back, besides a low-res Pirs picture.

http://space.skyrocket.de/img_sat/progress-m-mim-2__1.jpg

That's Pirs being delivered using a Progress PAO.

I downloaded the American Pack off of spaceport.

That is... odd, I just downloaded it and could not replicate the problem -- that package includes version 0.7. And versions after 0.6 do not even print the line "Initializing monitor". Are you sure you don't have a stray RasterPropMonitor.dll anywhere except GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor? Just find them all and delete them, and install the canonical package from the thread in my sig, though, and the problem should go away. (The monitors still work just fine with the current 0.9 release and 0.10 dev build).

That is... odd, I just downloaded it and could not replicate the problem -- that package includes version 0.7. And versions after 0.6 do not even print the line "Initializing monitor". Are you sure you don't have a stray RasterPropMonitor.dll anywhere except GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor? Just find them all and delete them, and install the canonical package from the thread in my sig, though, and the problem should go away. (The monitors still work just fine with the current 0.9 release and 0.10 dev build).

Found the issue. It was conflict between an older version of the ALCOR pod and the bobcat copy of the dll. I thought I'd updated it but that wasn't the case. Problem solved.

Yeah, but that would introduce another plugin. Perhaps this is a good idea, but if Asmi's plugin can be made to do it (it's a texture switcher, it just works on reentry instead of user prompt, and it can do the latter in debug mode), it'd be a neater solution.

It's much more than a texture switch, it actually blends two sets of texture+normal map.

Wow, can't wait to see that in game. It wasn't really apparent in the vid because of low resolution, but it seems that it'll be awesome to look on up close.

Here is Progress departing from the now complete (though without docking module) Mir, apologies for putting solar panels on Priordia and Kristall, but they wouldnt have made it to the station without some way of generating the leckie.

79R52Fm.jpg

And here is my next station, just the core module for now.

r0dd2sN.jpg