[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

I feel that I might be missing something obvious here...

I wanted to give the Altair Lander/Ares V a try and I'm encountering some trouble getting into orbit. As the boosters approach empty, their thrust-to-weight ratio seems to become so strong that they rip themselves right off of the main body of the rocket (smashing into it along the way most of the time). I can avert the disaster by disengaging them before they reach that critically empty point, and the little sepatron-style rockets on the side push them safely away. But yeah, using them "normally" almost always ends in tragedy for the rocket. I tried to reinforce their hold with more struts but they still ripped themselves off. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, aside for that dirty little bit of business, great parts pack! I really like the Orion capsule, she's pretty.

I feel that I might be missing something obvious here...

I wanted to give the Altair Lander/Ares V a try and I'm encountering some trouble getting into orbit. As the boosters approach empty, their thrust-to-weight ratio seems to become so strong that they rip themselves right off of the main body of the rocket (smashing into it along the way most of the time). I can avert the disaster by disengaging them before they reach that critically empty point, and the little sepatron-style rockets on the side push them safely away. But yeah, using them "normally" almost always ends in tragedy for the rocket. I tried to reinforce their hold with more struts but they still ripped themselves off. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, aside for that dirty little bit of business, great parts pack! I really like the Orion capsule, she's pretty.

Try changing the decouplers and adding struts. I already mentioned this to BobCat, trying to get him to make custom ones. :)

I don't know if someone mentioned this before, but will there be an update in the soyuz pack that will add those landing engines to the soyuz capsule that fire just before landing? I would really like that because it would add some realism to the pack and it is a cool feature anyways. I dont know if bobcat maybe will have this in a later update but if not it would be a nice little feature to add.

I'm trying to get BobCat to take care of those little things for quite some time now. LES separation motors, descent capsule rockets, all that small stuff. Perhaps after N1 is done.

I don't know if someone mentioned this before, but will there be an update in the soyuz pack that will add those landing engines to the soyuz capsule that fire just before landing? I would really like that because it would add some realism to the pack and it is a cool feature anyways. I dont know if bobcat maybe will have this in a later update but if not it would be a nice little feature to add.

That can currently be done (with who knows how many hours of balancing so that the capsule doesn't end up re-launching itself :D), but for activating a meter before touching down, I'm not sure. With parachutes it's obviously doable, but for getting a solid motor to ignite in the same way is unknown. Anyone have any insight into this?

Just keep an eye on the radar altimeter. Much like a proper ignition sequence for the 3rd stage, it'd be mostly eyecandy. Balancing it would be simple, though. You know the terminal velocity with the chute, you can calculate what it takes to bring the capsule to 0 in a meter.

That can currently be done (with who knows how many hours of balancing so that the capsule doesn't end up re-launching itself :D), but for activating a meter before touching down, I'm not sure. With parachutes it's obviously doable, but for getting a solid motor to ignite in the same way is unknown. Anyone have any insight into this?

Well, at the very least you could try putting it as the final stage and setting it off with a steady hand.

It wouldn't be too too difficult if the parachutes can slow the capsule down to something reasonable like 8 m/s. Then (assuming the engines are properly calibrated to the capsule's weight) you just hit spacebar at the exact moment before it hits the ground and land on a cushion of warm fiery air.

Bobcat released a video with the landing engines on his Youtube account.

You know that both LOK and Soyuz 7K-OK (the "old Soyuz") had this feature, right? In fact, it dates back to the earliest Soyuz flights. In fact, the LOK's capsule is nearly identical to that of 7K-OK, but with a thicker heat shield and (presumably) with one couch removed.

Edited by Guest

This features only for test compiled to Soyuz TMA, if players cant use them (too diffucult for KSP) im remove them.

KSP its no simulator. No have any chance make this auto engine like real, or need write plugin.

Edited by BobCat