[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Thank you very much for this awesome mod,

I have a request if you dont mind - is it possible to have the mods in this pack separated into their specific related parts \ capsules etc?

for example if i want only one type of soyuz, or some other craft, but not the rest,

since this mod adds so much content (120+mb), its hard to keep track on what is what in case i want to manually add the parts i want for one specific rocket \ craft type.

that would be really great if you could do that! and i would really appreciate it,

another more simple option that will also work, is listing all the files required separately for each craft, so if we want to do it manually we know what specific parts are required to make each set work properly without missing any dependencies etc.

They jitter a bit for me, but docking is no problem. If you attempt to use ORDA, prepare to have a bad time.

I suggest learning to dock manually using Romfarer's Docking Cameras and a little MechJeb assistance. :)

I was also getting crazy torque when switching back to my space station, causing the whole thing to "flip-the-F*%$-out". I felt like Armstrong in the Gemini Capsule.

I absolutely love the soviet pack but 2 thing appears to be missing that would make great and accurate addition to this pack:

The Lyappa Arm which were equipped on Spektr, Priroda, Kristall, and Kvant-2.

They were used to reposition the modules to the central axis port by means of grappling onto the "pivot" points on the MIR core module and rotating 90 degrees. It would make sense to do such as to not waste RCS fuel.

Here are some images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Mir_arm2.JPG/793px-Mir_arm2.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Mir-82.png/830px-Mir-82.png

Another feature would be the FSM tug used to bring the Kvant-1 to the station, It is based off of TKS concept (Which ultimately led to the FGB called Zarya for the ISS if I'm correct, please correct me if I'm wrong)

More images

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png/500px-Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png

I could use Kosmos Pack to construct the FSM but they are all too wildly huge to fit within the proton shroud and vastly heavy.

Feel free to look into these suggestion for future addition to your pack!

I absolutely love the soviet pack but 2 thing appears to be missing that would make great and accurate addition to this pack:

The Lyappa Arm which were equipped on Spektr, Priroda, Kristall, and Kvant-2.

They were used to reposition the modules to the central axis port by means of grappling onto the "pivot" points on the MIR core module and rotating 90 degrees. It would make sense to do such as to not waste RCS fuel.

Here are some images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Mir_arm2.JPG/793px-Mir_arm2.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Mir-82.png/830px-Mir-82.png

Another feature would be the FSM tug used to bring the Kvant-1 to the station, It is based off of TKS concept (Which ultimately led to the FGB called Zarya for the ISS if I'm correct, please correct me if I'm wrong)

More images

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png/500px-Kvant_module_and_FSM_drawing.png

I could use Kosmos Pack to construct the FSM but they are all too wildly huge to fit within the proton shroud and vastly heavy.

Feel free to look into these suggestion for future addition to your pack!

It would be great indeed. But I thing the Lyappa would better fit in the Robotic Arms pack

The Soviet pack, and KSP in general, could also do with a nice APAS docking port. The old probe and drogue is fun, but a lot of missions would benefit from an androgynous port and it would make ISS and Mir more realistic.

Bobcat has previously said that he would not make the "Lyappa" arm…

And for the FSM tug, you can use the Kosmos pack…

You will however, have to rescale the parts.

BTW, did you get my PM, BobCat?

Just a little heads up here. I've seen a few people asking this question around the forums, to BobCat in particular for some reason. When you send a PM, there are a couple of checkboxes below your message before you send it. Checking the top most of these will have the forums automatically notify you once the message has been read, when you look at your sent messages. No need to wonder, ever again!

Rsk7vVY.png

Add scale = 1 to Kliper's nose and command pod (and all other parts affected by the rescale bug). As for invisible parts, install Toggleable ASAS plugin. That should make them appear.

Duh! Now I feel so stupid, thanks! :D

The Soviet pack, and KSP in general, could also do with a nice APAS docking port. The old probe and drogue is fun, but a lot of missions would benefit from an androgynous port and it would make ISS and Mir more realistic.

There was only 1 APAS docking port on Mir, it was on the Kristall Module. It's where the Buran was supposed to dock, and where the Shuttle docked during the Shuttle-Mir program.

There was only 1 APAS docking port on Mir, it was on the Kristall Module. It's where the Buran was supposed to dock, and where the Shuttle docked during the Shuttle-Mir program.

There were actually two -- both the ports at the "far" end of Kristall were APAS ports.

And for the FSM tug, you can use the Kosmos pack…

You will however, have to rescale the parts.

Kosmos pack doesn't seem to work at the moment for .20, the attachment points scale incorrectly so they clip through each other when mounted.

A dirty fix would to add the "Scale = 1.0" to the part.cfg from what I heard.

As for the rescale to comform with the soviet pack, I wouldn't know where to start.

For almost all parts, delete the "fraction" part of the number. So, if rescale factor = 2.5, change it to 2. Simple as that. Add Scale = 1 to the parts and you're set. You might also re-balance weights and fuel capabilities (in most cases, half them), since Kosmos parts are ridiculously heavy.

There appears to be a problem with the Klipper LES also. it doesn't allow you to decouple it anymore.

Use "decouple node" action on Kliper's dock to decouple the LES.

Hey all, lovely collection of craft, but I'm having a few problems;

Launch stabilizers reappearing in mid air and blowing up the Buran. Someone else mentioned this, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I updated Mechjeb, ISA Mapsat only, and have the latest Soviet pack installed to the root KSP directory as suggested into an otherwise fresh install, so I don't think it's clashing with something else... but it could be!

Also the robotic arm doesn't seem to work on the ground (and I can't get back into orbit to test it up there)

The Kliper has what seems like a correctly scaled wing, but it doesn't clip directly onto the main body, but ahead of it. I've tried all snapping options bit it just won't sit flush.

There's no completed Kliper craft file in the pack to load either.

Could you also consider adding completed historical rocket stage craft files, considering we can now swap out the first part?

Not a problem as such, but just for information; How are people loading the Buran and avoiding the extra weight pulling the Energia/Buran over at launch? If I wanted to hide fuel tanks inside to see how far I can fly it, can I wire it up to feed from inside to a particular part and fuel its engines?

Thanks again for the models so far!

Edited by Titler

Hey all, lovely collection of craft, but I'm having a few problems;

Launch stabilizers reappearing in mid air and blowing up the Buran. Someone else mentioned this, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I updated Mechjeb, ISA Mapsat only, and have the latest Soviet pack installed to the root KSP directory as suggested into an otherwise fresh install, so I don't think it's clashing with something else... but it could be!

This is fixed by installing the latest version of Romfarer's Lazor mod, or any of its subcomponents. For the Soviet pack, it's the docking camera subcomponent. It's been updated -- check the Lazor thread. That'll fix you right up.

Also the robotic arm doesn't seem to work on the ground (and I can't get back into orbit to test it up there)

The arms are Romfarer based too -- updating may help with this. Not sure though -- I've never actually tried using the arm on the ground!

The Kliper has what seems like a correctly scaled wing, but it doesn't clip directly onto the main body, but ahead of it. I've tried all snapping options bit it just won't sit flush.

I think this is the scaling bug. Adding "scale = 1" to the .cfg files of the Kliper parts should fix it, I think.

Hope that helps.....

That's a shame. Lyappa, Strela and ERA would be great addition both to Mir and ISS

They jitter a bit for me, but docking is no problem. If you attempt to use ORDA, prepare to have a bad time.

I suggest learning to dock manually using Romfarer's Docking Cameras and a little MechJeb assistance. :)

I was also getting crazy torque when switching back to my space station, causing the whole thing to "flip-the-F*%$-out". I felt like Armstrong in the Gemini Capsule.

I've tried docking by hand after ORDA failed me, however it still wouldn't connect no matter what... and as for the docking cameras, they apparently don't work if a soyuz capsule is trying to dock with the ISS (This is the one i've been trying it with), making the docking cameras useless.

I've also run a ground test (making small rovers with various docking ports) utilising the probe dock and vanilla part docks, and the vanilla docks won't connect with the probe dock (i'll try to upload a photo if it doesn't make sense)

That's a shame. Lyappa, Strela and ERA would be great addition both to Mir and ISS

Definitely! It would make station maintenance and movement of modules around the station for future expansions without wasting RCS!

Definitely! It would make station maintenance and movement of modules around the station for future expansions without wasting RCS!

And it looks even more realistic :D

This is fixed by installing the latest version of Romfarer's Lazor mod, or any of its subcomponents. For the Soviet pack, it's the docking camera subcomponent. It's been updated -- check the Lazor thread. That'll fix you right up.

Speaking of updating, I noticed the exploding launch clamps have returned, though this is a very minor issue. There are more odd pressing bugs popping up with launching the proton. After any form of gravity turn, the Center of Mass literally falls out of the ship as indicated by the camera's central focus panning away from the vessel itself. This only happens after installing the new updated lazor system and deleting the "old" romfarer.dll one in the pluginsdata folder.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Okay, removal of romfarer didn't help. I haven't flown the proton at all today since the update for I was prepping the protons to sortie out my MIR modules. Why is my Center of Mass going out of whack?

http://i.imgur.com/J4Ox5lt.jpg Here's a snapshot

Edited by Slipstream

For those having problems attaching stuff cause of weird node placement, create a KSP 0.19 folder, delete all parts except one command pod, move the files you want to attach into it, get Subassembly Saver / Loader, attach them, save them as a subassembly and move them into 0.20