[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Reply to Canopus

It would be faster to get ships docked if you took it up in one piece., just faster in general for the whole process plus you would only have one ship cluttering up your tracking station instead of 7-8 (although with .20s new filtering this wouldn't be so bad.)

To WCOLE360:

Alright fine, forget I asked I'm just being a whiney n00b.

Edited by DarthVader

I've got a question. It has to do with this mod but more to do with KSP's engine I suppose. I have this issue, even pre-0.20 where I've made a docking module for Mir out of a Structural Fuelselage and two Dragon docking ports (doesn't matter what ports so it's not because of those) and, after I've released the module from Buran and docked with it while it's free floating, I then dock to Mir via Kristall but I can't undock Buran. I can undock the docking module with Buran attatched and the weird part is after I do that, undock Buran from the module, redock it and then redock both to Kristall, I can then undock Buran. I know that's confusing but essentially I have to do the process twice before Buran becomes 'unstuck'. Opening and closing Buran's docking port has no effect it will still be firmly docked and clicking undock on the Buran side of the docking module has no effect. Only the part docked to Kristall will undock until I've redocked everything.

It's an annoyance rather than a real issue because after I've done the process I can undock and redock Buran from there on after. It only occurs on the first attempt. Any flights after have no issues...

MIR aint hard to assemble... ive done it pleanty of times..

Try using subassembly addon.. that helps too if you want to be real lazy

*load [insert Mir module here]*

*select Proton-k in the subassembly*

*launch*

Pretty much what I did the first time I built Mir and what I'm doing right now :D This baby is a pleasure to assemble ^^

For Altair, are you going with the last design or the earlier design?

The last design looked stupid to me, with a tiny cabin and the huge descent stage. It would have been much heavier than the Apollo LM and less capable:

Altair-Lander_(latest).jpg

I much preferred the early LSAM design, with a larger cabin and better visibility:

lsama.jpg

Although it never got approved for Constellation, my favorite lunar lander concept was the Dual-Thrust Axis Lander ACES proposal:

ULA5.jpg

Make it a challenge and don't attach Kvant-2 solar panels to it, attach them to kvant-1, get the KAS mod, and manually place them!

I did it a different way :P but...I forgot to launch Kvant-1. My Mir is for the moment, the DOS-7 module + Kvant-2 and Kristall (with his original panels and in the position it was first). I'll take the panels from Kristall and put them on Kvant-1 when the time will come ^^

As for Altair, you have to understand that it carried 4 people, twice as many as the Apollo lander, and needed much more supplies for the crew and for longer stays than Apollo ever did. They also needed to carry much more equipment to study the Moon in greater detail.

I've got a question. It has to do with this mod but more to do with KSP's engine I suppose. I have this issue, even pre-0.20 where I've made a docking module for Mir out of a Structural Fuelselage and two Dragon docking ports (doesn't matter what ports so it's not because of those) and, after I've released the module from Buran and docked with it while it's free floating, I then dock to Mir via Kristall but I can't undock Buran. I can undock the docking module with Buran attatched and the weird part is after I do that, undock Buran from the module, redock it and then redock both to Kristall, I can then undock Buran. I know that's confusing but essentially I have to do the process twice before Buran becomes 'unstuck'. Opening and closing Buran's docking port has no effect it will still be firmly docked and clicking undock on the Buran side of the docking module has no effect. Only the part docked to Kristall will undock until I've redocked everything.

It's an annoyance rather than a real issue because after I've done the process I can undock and redock Buran from there on after. It only occurs on the first attempt. Any flights after have no issues...

I had a game originally in 0.20 and none of the docking ports worked at all in 0.20. The orbital place I built used supposedly compatible parts yet nothing docked to anything. I eventually had to junk the game and start again. Never had an issue since. Very odd.

As for Altair, you have to understand that it carried 4 people, twice as many as the Apollo lander, and needed much more supplies for the crew and for longer stays than Apollo ever did. They also needed to carry much more equipment to study the Moon in greater detail.

Yes, the lander was huge, but in the final "vertical cylinder" version, the ascent module with the cabin was hardly any bigger than the old LM. It actually had the same mass, with 4 crew members inside, a toilet and an airlock. It would have been even more cramped and simply not practical. The reason for the size of the descent stage was mainly because it used cryogenic propellants instead of hypergolics, and because the Altair had to do the LOI burn due to the Orion being already overweight for Ares I (In Apollo, the SM did the LOI burn, which allowed for a smaller LM descent stage). The whole thing was 10 meters tall and would have required that the astronauts climb up and down a 6 meter ladder for each EVA, which is the height of a 2-storey house. This made transporting equipment and cargo problematic and the risk of slipping and falling was non-negligeable.

It was a bad compromise, which was kind of the hallmark of Constellation program, so it's probably best that it was cancelled.

The ACES lander (in my 3rd pic) was based on a proposal from ULA to scrap the Ares/Constellation rockets and to go to the Moon on EELVs. The plan involved multiple launches, an orbital fuel depot infrastructure, and reusable landers. It was based on the ACES upperstage for Delta IVH and Atlas V, which would have variants to make it a DTAL lander, an Orion service module, or a fuel depot. Landing horizontally allowed them to put the crew cabin (or a possible cargo module) near the ground, and the ascent module used side-mounted engines, so it wouldn't damage the ACES tank which could be recycled. It landed on wheels, so they could have hauled them around and docked several of them together to build a base and even retrofitted empty tanks into a hab modules.

Edited by Nibb31

Ive build Mir in space 4 or 5 times, but lost them in the patching process.

This time arround ive tryed a preasembled version with some test stuff attached...

2013-05-28_00010s.jpg

Tho i gotta admit its way more fun to launch every part up and attach them manualy :)

i have an issue with the Mir docking ports from the bobcat's soviet pack.

me and one other player reported it here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30591-20-Compatible-and-Incompatible-incomplete-mods-list-fixes-%285-27-2013%29?p=402819&viewfull=1#post402819

does anyone know about it?

One thing I noticed was in the preassembled craft files for each part of Mir, the Mir probes were on the outside of the docking ports making them inoperable. If you were using those instead of building yourself then just move the probes and docking ports around with the probes under the docking ports. It should work then. Check that with each of the preassembled craft files in the soviet pack.

One thing I noticed was in the preassembled craft files for each part of Mir, the Mir probes were on the outside of the docking ports making them inoperable. If you were using those instead of building yourself then just move the probes and docking ports around with the probes under the docking ports. It should work then. Check that with each of the preassembled craft files in the soviet pack.

yeah i remember to have notice this also but i got it right after that. i mean, in the post in linked, that i managed to build the MIR station (by resolving that probe and dock issue you said) in 0.19 and its still assembled in orbit in my 0.20 save. but the fact is i cant redock any module after dedocking them (thing that i have done many times in 0.19). just like the docking ports arent able to work together anymore.

i've checked the cfg files of the mir docking port probe and mir docking port drogue but they are just as similar as the 0.19's.

kinda weird..

I'm having the same problem with the ISS... the assembled craft put into orbit using hyperedit.. but i cant dock anything to it.... the docking ports just dont work.

Ive build Mir in space 4 or 5 times, but lost them in the patching process.

This time arround ive tryed a preasembled version with some test stuff attached...

2013-05-28_00010s.jpg

Tho i gotta admit its way more fun to launch every part up and attach them manualy :)

Is that the Apollo-Soyuz docking corridor (The red module), I see on your MIR station? If so, where did you get that?!

How far back did you move them. Docking has a wierd glitch, if you don't back up something at least 10-15 meters it won't redock.

OMFG.. i cant believe it was this.. i was SOOO sure i went far enough away from the station before trying to redock..

i feel so noob cause i was really sure it wasnt the problem. so sure that i almost laughed when i readed what you wrote.

anyway.. thanks for your time and sorry for beeing a noob on this one.

Is that the Apollo-Soyuz docking corridor (The red module), I see on your MIR station? If so, where did you get that?!

i was wondering the same! =D