[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

30t maximum to LKO i think. But im not test in 20.2

wouldnt that be the first stage?, the side boosters are part of the first stage also, just my 2 cents

Its only tests. Im thinking about 6 or 5 engine section.

Edited by BobCat

I read the forum, although not very often I write.

And I can see that for most people who use my addons difficult to understand all the functions of technical intricacies, etc.

At the moment I think that the community is not ready for such complex mechanisms as separate motor control system of salvation, or motor soft landing for the capsule.

Especially since it's useless until the crew will not die from large G overloads etc. Too much work and minimal profit.

AresV 2 stage tests

016a2eb52c84458e404d312b79284f91.png

37d41246eeb9a3a81372761ac26c1264.png

thats almost an ares IV, just need the boosters

And I can see that for most people who use my addons difficult to understand all the functions of technical intricacies, etc.

At the moment I think that the community is not ready for such complex mechanisms as separate motor control system of salvation, or motor soft landing for the capsule.

Especially since it's useless until the crew will not die from large G overloads etc. Too much work and minimal profit.

AresV 2 stage tests

016a2eb52c84458e404d312b79284f91.png

37d41246eeb9a3a81372761ac26c1264.png

The main engine look strange to me. I thought the Ares v would have five SSME's in a configuration like the Saturn V.
its possible, but too complex for KSP users.
I see that as a personal insult:P

Fine! Does it involves any modeling, or it's purely config work? If latter, would you be so kind as to provide what text do I need to insert into *cfg to make that happen?

I thought the Ares v would have five SSME's in a configuration like the Saturn V.

I thought so too, I have not seen engines like that before.

ares-I-ares-V-comparison.jpg

The main engine look strange to me. I thought the Ares v would have five SSME's in a configuration like the Saturn V.

Im have different draw and information. Need think about that.

cfb88e7a71b7d6686bfbda9b55d149af.png

3439410066601952e4712544e4a7a41a.png

I see that as a personal insult

I have insult every time when i check PM message.

"Hey BobCat what wrong in your mods?"

"Soyuz Cool looking but very hard to assembly" (Are you kidding me )

etc.

Fine! Does it involves any modeling, or it's purely config work? If latter, would you be so kind as to provide what text do I need to insert into *cfg to make that happen?

Need other model

Edited by BobCat

*image snip*

etc.

Need other model

Ares IV!

(10 char)

Edited by Supernovy
try not to quote images on the same page.

etc.

Need other model

Bobcat .. Don't let the Trolls get ya down. Just reply to them with this

Edited by Supernovy
removed images and video

The liquid-fueled second stage was to be derived from the Space Shuttle External Tank and was to use either five or six RS-68B engines attached to the bottom of a new 10 m tank, or five SSMEs attached to the bottom of a stretched version of the Space Shuttle's 8.4 m tank. It was to be fueled by liquid oxygen (LOX) and liquid hydrogen (LH2).

407d8615decbac94cdaaad6716ce98a9.png

BobCat --

Since the Ares V never existed in real life, you should feel free to go ahead and design it as you think it would have ultimately been designed, and ignore anyone who says "it's not realistic!!!!"

But my two cents is... it probably would have wound up with the 5 SSMEs instead of the 6 RS-68bs. There were engineering issues involving the 6-engine configuration, mainly involving the exhaust plumes interacting with each other and reducing the overall efficiency of the combined engines. And there were (and still are) some pretty hefty political supporters of continuing SSME development and procurement. Plus, the SSME didn't need to be tested.

The test flight configuration (from your pictures) looks like the Ares IV configuration: Ares V first stage with the Ares I second stage atop it. (I'm assuming that's your Ares I second stage on top.) The Ares V second stage was different, but it was really nothing more than a wider tank. Same single J-2x engine. I don't think the actual dimensions of the 2nd stage had been finalized at all when Constellation was cancelled, though. Some drawings have it at about 8.5m in diameter with a small interstage adaptor, others have it at 10m and flush with the first stage.

EDIT: Even in test form it's still approximately 100,000,000,000 times as awesome as anything I could come up with!

Edited by daver4470

BobCat --

Since the Ares V never existed in real life, you should feel free to go ahead and design it as you think it would have ultimately been designed, and ignore anyone who says "it's not realistic!!!!"

Well if he is recreating a real proposed rocket he should keep it realistic. But i agree with you on the engine configuration.

You guys are trolling the **** out of Bobcat. He's making a version that was the final proposed design and it was never even developed regardless so it's moot what he actually goes with. He knows that he's picturing the Ares IV which is just an Ares V with the second stage of Ares I + Orion MPCV which only requires that he makes an extra fairing adapter. He is making an Ares V as well since he said he's going to be making Altair. You guys need to calm down and let him do his work, he hasn't failed us yet.

You guys are trolling the **** out of Bobcat. He's making a version that was the final proposed design and it was never even developed regardless so it's moot what he actually goes with. He knows that he's picturing the Ares IV which is just an Ares V with the second stage of Ares I + Orion MPCV which only requires that he makes an extra fairing adapter. He is making an Ares V as well since he said he's going to be making Altair. You guys need to calm down and let him do his work, he hasn't failed us yet.
We aren't trolling anyone and i don't know why you think that. And the final design did use the SSME.

And the final design did use the SSME.

Well.... I think they were still technically keeping the 6-engine option in play for a "lite" Ares V alternative, largely due to cost considerations (six RS-68s were still cheaper than 5 SSMEs) and how the baseline mission profile was changing about every 15 minutes (less lift capacity required = less caring about the performance hit from the 6 vs. 5 configuration). There was, if I recall correctly, a lot of politicking inside and outside NASA about this.... (I think PWR wanted to push things towards the RS-68 option, because they could then go and use the RS-68B on the Delta IV and make some $ off it it, making it a better business proposition for them. The only use for the SSME would have been Ares V.)

EDIT: But I still think the SSME would have won, mainly because the RS-68 hasn't been man-rated yet.

We aren't trolling anyone and i don't know why you think that. And the final design did use the SSME.

Then please check your tone. You lot are coming off like a bunch of task masters. Are any of you out one shilling with what BobCat has or hasn't done? Here's a hint: try the interrogative stance, not the accusatory. Try to sort out his position, not stick your finger in his face and shout "YOU'RE WRONG!"

Give it a go. You might be surprised.

Ease up here, guys. Let's dial this back a few notches, I think everyone is getting a bit tense and I don't want to have to start removing posts and handing out warnings.

I don't get the point of this. BobCat will do it they way he wants, if someone disagrees - you're more then welcomed to get tools together and do it your way! Heck, I'm sure BobCat won't even mind including your creation into the pack if you so desire.

All I'm going to say is thank you BobCat. You give the KSP community hours upon hours of your time freely so that our gaming experience can be enriched. And you don't have to. You could create your mods and keep them for yourself or share them with only those you choose to. But you don't. So thank you again BobCat. I look forward to flying your next line of wonderful creations.