International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

I have to ask, I mean I'm no KSP modder but I have been around modding communities for a long time (takes me back to Halo PC modding days) and I don't understand why the CSS is so difficult to finish up? Granted I'm not taking into account how many people are working on it and/or their time constraints but it can't be any more difficult than Bobcat's Buran. Aside from aerodynamics of course, but it seems like you haven't even gotten to that stage yet?

I'm not exactly in a rush to see it finished since I have the Buran for all my shuttle needs, but still, it seems like the CSS thing has been in the works for ages!

We don't have the original dae models

We don't have the original dae models
Yeah I've read through the threads, but why do you need them? Seems like you guys are doing more work to convert an old mod than you would from starting over. *This is my perception, I might be wrong, I'm just curious of the CSS situation since KSP has been without a U.S. Shuttle addon since forever despite it's supposed appeal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the efficient process be:

1. Download NASA models

2. Scale properly for KSP

3. Slice up parts

4. Creat collisions

5. Add modules/animations

6. Texture parts (UV ect)

7. Configure part values

8. Testing

9. Release

Edited by Good_Apollo

Yeah I've read through the threads, but why do you need them? Seems like you guys are doing more work to convert an old mod than you would from starting over. *This is my perception, I might be wrong, I'm just curious of the CSS situation since KSP has been without a U.S. Shuttle addon since forever despite it's supposed appeal.

1. Download NASA models

3. Slice up parts

4. Creat collisions

7. Configure part values

8. Testing

9. Release

You forgot the true first step: Ask for permission to use the models. Mind you I have no idea if they are freebies for all to use, or if there would be a licensing issue. Ah copyright, holding back creativity.

1. Download NASA models

3. Slice up parts

4. Creat collisions

7. Configure part values

8. Testing

9. Release

I'm the first one who defends making a new model (not porting it though) but you can't compare fixing a model with making a new one.

On the actual CSS we have the structure, the textures (even if they produce your eyes to invert their polarity and explode when looking at them), the sliced parts, etc.

And now, lets keep this thread for ISS.

It should be finished, though it may take a long time. I've still got 17 Shuttle and two Soyuz launches to finish the station, and that's not counting Soyuz TMA, Progress, ATV, Cygnus, Kliper and Parom launches, which I'll do when I feel like it (or a Shuttle uses all it's monoprop for docking, or a Parom runs low on it's own fuel).

Where did you get the Parom from ?

Just stick a Clam-O-tron at the end. It works for me, and if you use a modified Jr. version, it even looks nice.

Anyway, the ISS assembly continues. Z1 Truss:

screenshot656q.th.png

And P6 Truss:

screenshot663.th.png

P6 was attached by the Shuttle, but I wasn't able to extend the panels with it attached, so I did so after it departed the station. Next on the roster: Destiny. It's going to be a very complex operation, since the Shuttle won't be able to dock to PMA-2 for this one.

How did you build your Z1 truss? What are you using for the solar arrays for Zarya (and how can I get them)? Also, are you planning on releasing your Space Shuttle?

Unrelated, but I will have to post photos from work (NASA Johnson).

You forgot the true first step: Ask for permission to use the models. Mind you I have no idea if they are freebies for all to use, or if there would be a licensing issue. Ah copyright, holding back creativity.

If the NASA models are coming from a ".gov" site (NASA), they are public property, and thus free to use.

If the NASA models are coming from a ".gov" site (NASA), they are public property, and thus free to use.

They are still ultra mega high poly and converting it to low poly does not usually give good results.

/ontopic: 5f6584091b.png

Almost complete.

I only miss the H-2, the Cygnus and the Shuttle (I used Bobcat's Buran tu build the station)

You forgot to jettison the last stage of Ariane on you ATV ^^ I can't see Dragon neither. And, you want to dock the whole H-II rocket to the ISS ?! Are you crazy ? Don't you just want the HTV to be docked ? :P

They are still ultra mega high poly and converting it to low poly does not usually give good results.

/ontopic: 5f6584091b.png

Almost complete.

I only miss the H-2, the Cygnus and the Shuttle (I used Bobcat's Buran tu build the station)

If the point of this project was to rip 3D meshes and use pre-existing ones, we probably would have had it finished in a 1/4 of the time, but what's the point in that?

Anyone can import a model and have it in the game within a few minutes, the whole point of this project was to build an ISS that we actually built.

The Nasa Models are there for anyone to have a crack at, but as you said they are very high poly and if you are building something as large as the ISS, ploy count is really something that should be of a concern, and making every single piece as low as possibly should be a priority before anything else.

Besides that, what's the fun in ripping a model?

I am 90 percent through a cupola, the Z1 truss still looks ugly to me and needs a rework, the PIRS is something that I was hoping WCOLE would try a bit more and the rest is as you see it.

I have to ask, I mean I'm no KSP modder but I have been around modding communities for a long time (takes me back to Halo PC modding days) and I don't understand why the CSS is so difficult to finish up? Granted I'm not taking into account how many people are working on it and/or their time constraints but it can't be any more difficult than Bobcat's Buran. Aside from aerodynamics of course, but it seems like you haven't even gotten to that stage yet?

I'm not exactly in a rush to see it finished since I have the Buran for all my shuttle needs, but still, it seems like the CSS thing has been in the works for ages!

Well, considering probably 20 people said "YES I WILL HELP!!! I WILL MAKE A PART" then the forum crash happened, and we were left with about 5 of us making the whole thing.

Thats why it took so long. People making promises and not delivering. We also work on the time schedules we can make for ourselves, we are not paid developers and have no obligation to even log onto this website but we do because we love it.

Im still trying to fix the PMA. I have an issue with the docking node not working and have had no suggestions that have helped, so for now It's not something I'm losing sleep over sorry.

I also am strongly opposed to any NASA ripped meshes being included in this pack, if they are I will withdraw myself from the project.

Edited by Devo

Well, considering probably 20 people said "YES I WILL HELP!!! I WILL MAKE A PART" then the forum crash happened, and we were left with about 5 of us making the whole thing.

Maybe it would be good to send a PM to original 20 people and see if they're still around the forum, they're still ok but didn't think about it after the forum crash or didn't want anymore.

Maybe it would be good to send a PM to original 20 people and see if they're still around the forum, they're still ok but didn't think about it after the forum crash or didn't want anymore.

They're gone is the problem.

Well, one of the problems was the forum wipe took the list out, which gave those people who really didn't want to do it (but wanted to make it look like they were putting in an effort by saying they would ) it gave them a chance to escape the project before we started asking where their promised part was. It's nothing new.

I have contacted as many of them as I can think of, they still are on the forum, but it seems joining this project for them seemed like a good idea at that split second, but as for actually putting any effort or communicating with anyone, thats their job not ours.

Edited by Devo

Here’s the list of current mods and their makers.

Members

name: John Dow

segment make: Destiny and Columbus

Name: BobCat

Segment make: Russian segment (Zvezda,Zarya FGB,) All NASA USOS Truss Segments, Harmony Node, Tranquility Node 3, Destiny, Columbus and CanadArm2.

Flag: Russia

(COMPLETE, PRE-ALPHA)

Name: Romfarer

Segment: CanadArm2 coding and working (SSRMS, MBS)

Flag: Norway

(COMPLETE-PREALPHA, LAZOR SYSTEM PACK AND ISS PACK)

Name: Nutt007

Segment: Cygnus

Flag:

(CYGNUS IN PRE-ALPHA)

Name: Devogen

Segment: Unity Node 1, Z1, and Cupola

Flag: Australia

(UNITY COMPLETE, Z1 AND CUPOLA IN PROGRESS)

Name: OrbitusII

Segment: Quest Joint-Airlock

Flag: USA

PRE-ALPHA, NEEDS MORE TEXTURE

Name: WCOLE360/Devogen

Segment: Pirs Docking Compartment

Flag: USA/Australia

DEVELOPMENT IN PROGRESS

Name: Yogui87

Segment: JEM (Kibo), JEM-ELM and JEM-EF (In JEM main Module), ATV

Flag: France

(JEM-COMPLETE, CYGNUS-DEVELOPMENT)

Name: Tiberion

Segment: Dream Chaser

(STATUS NOT KNOWN)

Name: WCOLE360

Segment: MPLM

(PRE-ALPHA TESTING IN PACK, BIG CREDIT TO YOGUI87 FOR HELP)

Name: hoojiwana

Segment: AMS-02

Flag: Great Britain

(STATUS NOT KNOWN)

Name: skeligandrew

Segment: UDM DSM RM 1 RM 2

Flag: Northern Ireland

(STATUS NOT KNOWN)

Well, one of the problems was the forum wipe took the list out, which gave those people who really didn't want to do it (but wanted to make it look like they were putting in an effort by saying they would ) it gave them a chance to escape the project before we started asking where their promised part was. It's nothing new.

I have contacted as many of them as I can think of, they still are on the forum, but it seems joining this project for them seemed like a good idea at that split second, but as for actually putting any effort or communicating with anyone, thats their job not ours.

Well...the list is on the first page. There's only 3 people who need to be contacted as you can see : Skeligandrew, Tiberion and Hookiwana. Maybe I'll go on their thread and remember them about this mighty piece of metal and solar panels :D

Netris, that is the "current" list of work. The list that was lost, is from the pre-april kracken attack. IIRC, it was much longer.

Isn't the first post the Google cache of the old thread ? At least, that's what I understand by this

Thanks fcbayerndm for help restore this thread in google cache

If the point of this project was to rip 3D meshes and use pre-existing ones, we probably would have had it finished in a 1/4 of the time, but what's the point in that?

Anyone can import a model and have it in the game within a few minutes, the whole point of this project was to build an ISS that we actually built.

The Nasa Models are there for anyone to have a crack at, but as you said they are very high poly and if you are building something as large as the ISS, ploy count is really something that should be of a concern, and making every single piece as low as possibly should be a priority before anything else.

Besides that, what's the fun in ripping a model?

I am 90 percent through a cupola, the Z1 truss still looks ugly to me and needs a rework, the PIRS is something that I was hoping WCOLE would try a bit more and the rest is as you see it.

Thats why it took so long. People making promises and not delivering. We also work on the time schedules we can make for ourselves, we are not paid developers and have no obligation to even log onto this website but we do because we love it.

Im still trying to fix the PMA. I have an issue with the docking node not working and have had no suggestions that have helped, so for now It's not something I'm losing sleep over sorry.

I also am strongly opposed to any NASA ripped meshes being included in this pack, if they are I will withdraw myself from the project.

I was actually talking about the Component Space Shuttle that was mentioned in the thread. I know that the I.S.S is no picnic, especially with various different people being involved. Edited by Good_Apollo

I was actually talking about the Component Space Shuttle that was mentioned in the thread. I know that the I.S.S is no picnic, especially with various different people being involved.

Then everybody forget I said anything, I should read things better before I fly off the handle, apologies. I read a few things here on this forum today that put me in a bad mood, which sort of transcended into bad posts... carry on :sticktongue:

I'm still trying to fix this PMA issue. If there is a modder who thinks they can fix it, ill gladly send them the original files. I've made docking nodes before, this one just doesn't want to bloody work.

Then everybody forget I said anything, I should read things better before I fly off the handle, apologies. I read a few things here on this forum today that put me in a bad mood, which sort of transcended into bad posts... carry on :sticktongue:

I'm still trying to fix this PMA issue. If there is a modder who thinks they can fix it, ill gladly send them the original files. I've made docking nodes before, this one just doesn't want to bloody work.

What's exactly the problem with the PMA?

You forgot to jettison the last stage of Ariane on you ATV ^^ I can't see Dragon neither. And, you want to dock the whole H-II rocket to the ISS ?! Are you crazy ? Don't you just want the HTV to be docked ? :P

The dragon is just below the Orion lol.

As for the ATV, I've just noticed it now.

And as for the H-2, yes, I meant HTV, not H-2 x))

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.