International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

Dragon01

That cool

Thanks. I'm going to try and replicate the entire assembly process, cobbling together the missing parts from Kosmos SSPP and other part packs. The shuttle, even in it's current, incomplete state is an awesome spacecraft.

Ok, if anyone makes one I would love to take a look, thanks.

It's cancelled man, we're not doing it.

EDIT:

TESTED HTV's ORBITAL ENGINES, has high ISP in atmosphere, the 1000 monoprop got it into orbit.

Hi,

I hate to be a pain in the butt and haven't yet found reference to complete information about the structure of 0.20 addons under KSP - however the information I have seen suggests that the format is as follows.

<KSP Dir>

----<GameData>

--------<Modname>

------------<Flags>

----------------<Parts>

----------------<Props>

----------------<Resources>

----------------<Sounds>

----------------<Spaces>

--------<Next Modname>

While this mod follows this structure I note also that it has placed some items in the root level <GameData> - should this be happening or is this mod putting things in places it shouldnt, I would have thought that the whole point of moving new version mods to their own directory was to keep things separate so that they couldn't be accidentally overwritten and break compatibility - I.E if the romfarrer.dll got updated by another release by romfarrer then in its current location it would be overwritten but if it was in <GameData\ISS ver. 0.05\Plugins> it would be left intact leaving the new version to operate independently of this mod without breaking it.

Another thought is a textfile that states that ISS Ver. 0.05 is dependent on this version of the dll so it does not get over written but here I think we are getting away from the principle of K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Can someone direct me to a place that says how the mods should now be structured?

Edited by FalloutBoy

Your outline is correct (but you forgot to list a plugin folder between parts and props)

There shouldn't be any other 'stuff' at the gamedata level.

Okay then barring data being moved to the root level of KSP which is not a good thing because it could break compatibility if other < .20 version mods are installed this mod as downloaded has items in the root level of <GameData> which should not be there and need fixing.

Sorry, I am on my Ipad right now else I would download the mod and explain, but you are misunderstanding. Nothing in the is mod goes on the root ksp dir. There are two folders that go in gamedata because there is a set of bobcat parts and a different folder for the other contributors. ( think of it as two mods in one, both folders go inside gamedata )

Sorry, I am on my Ipad right now else I would download the mod and explain, but you are misunderstanding. Nothing in the is mod goes on the root ksp dir. There are two folders that go in gamedata because there is a set of bobcat parts and a different folder for the other contributors. ( think of it as two mods in one, both folders go inside gamedata )

<GameData>

....<DIR> ISS-ver.0.051

....<DIR> PluginData

....<DIR> Plugins

....<DIR> Ships

That's whats in the archive, the problem I see is that if an author updates a mod from 19.x to 20.x which then overwrites part of the PluginData or Plugins Directory this could cause serious problems with computability, unless these mods have version numbers tacked on the name of the files they could be overwritten by files with the same name.

Two possibilities exist for correcting this - one is file version numbers - YUCK.

The other is that you mention that the item requires <modname> version x and then let the user choose if they want to install <modname> version x then they can choose to download it to but I feel that putting other mods or extras in the root level of <GameData> is an extremely bad idea, maybe someone should consult the developers on this but I think all data related to a mod should be in that mods own directory even if its a dependency ; yes this will create some replication but will stop mods breaking other mods.

And when it comes down to it why bother following a convention if half the modders are going to revert to a convention that can break stuff.

Edited by FalloutBoy

sorry, I just dont understand your issue here at all.

ISS-ver.0.051 <-- just lets you know which version it is

<GameData>

...<bobcatind> <- parts, and such, from Bobcat industries

...<ISS_Comunity> <-parts and such, from other contriubiters

<PluginData> 'old style' - <-Romfarer files in the 'old' directory to insure that people that havn't updated to the current lazor v27 are ok (granted these could be removed i think)

<plugins> 'old style'

... Advsasmoduletoggle.dll a plugin used in this mod, the .dll is on the 'old' loctation because (I guess) it needs to be.

... KAS.dll (ok, this might need to be removed, as KAS has been updated, not sure, I deleted it because I have the Full KAS 0.20 version already)

... Romfarer.dll, <I beleive Bobcat was going to delelte this as it was an older version)

<ships>

...<vab>

... ... iss.craft files. this is the premade ISS.craft file, for referance.

looking at the 0.051.zip file I just got from the Spaceport, all I see is that the KAS and Romfarer .dll are in there. other than that, EVERYTHING is right.

remember that the ISS effort is multi-authored. many peoples hands are in it. and some aspects of it are still "v0.19"-ish, but most of it has been moved to the v0.20 style <gameData>. since I have Lazor, and KAS already, I simply deleted the v0.19 files for them, and left the AdvSas .dll

AFAIK.

Edited by Fyrem

sorry, I just dont understand your issue here at all.

ISS-ver.0.051 <-- just lets you know which version it is

<GameData>

...<bobcatind> <- parts, and such, from Bobcat industries

...<ISS_Comunity> <-parts and such, from other contriubiters

<PluginData> 'old style' - <-Romfarer files in the 'old' directory to insure that people that havn't updated to the current lazor v27 are ok (granted these could be removed i think)

<plugins> 'old style'

... Advsasmoduletoggle.dll a plugin used in this mod, the .dll is on the 'old' loctation because (I guess) it needs to be.

... KAS.dll (ok, this might need to be removed, as KAS has been updated, not sure, I deleted it because I have the Full KAS 0.20 version already)

... Romfarer.dll, <I beleive Bobcat was going to delelte this as it was an older version)

<ships>

...<vab>

... ... iss.craft files. this is the premade ISS.craft file, for referance.

looking at the 0.051.zip file I just got from the Spaceport, all I see is that the KAS and Romfarer .dll are in there. other than that, EVERYTHING is right.

remember that the ISS effort is multi-authored. many peoples hands are in it. and some aspects of it are still "v0.19"-ish, but most of it has been moved to the v0.20 style <gameData>. since I have Lazor, and KAS already, I simply deleted the v0.19 files for them, and left the AdvSas .dll

AFAIK.

What I was referring to was the <Plugins> and <PluginData> directories - if these are used then they should be beneath the ISS directory - otherwise if another mod comes along that could overwrite those files if copied into the <GameData> directory they could be overwritten with another version which could break compatibility with the existing mod.

What I am saying is although it creates duplicate files it would be better if the <plugins> and <PluginData> were in the actual mod directory as then nothing but a new version of the mod could overwrite them ; ensuring that even if you do download a new version of the KAS or Romfarer dlls through the installation of another mod that the new mod will not touch in anyway the existing mod ; thus ensuring that both will still work.

If those files are 0.19 files then they shouldn't IMHO be in the GameData directory at all as that is only for 0.20 mods.

Multi Authored or not - All mods need to follow a standard set by the developers and I have not yet seen that standard defined - keeping the <GameData> directory only for <mod directories> and then everything else below the <mod directories> ensures that parts can not overwrite other parts which was one of the most annoying things about 19.x.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.