High speed aerobraking

magnemoe

While the forum was down I completed my grand tour going from the Jool system to Eeloo. After Eeeloo I did not bother waiting for an minimum cost burn, but did an 2600 m/s burn who intercepted Kerbin, the lowest point was close to Moho orbit. This gave me an orbital speed inside Kerbin SOI of over 10.000 m/s, I used two hours from edge of SOI to LKO and the final approach was pretty surreal as it felt I was running on time compression, also took some tame braking even with the g-meter maxed out for over an minute.

Any other experiences with this?

Macey just did a 7000m/s aero brake at Laythe in his last video, and will be doing another one in his next video with his dreadnought with No Fuel remaining, only monoprop! I haven't done it myself but once my Laythe train finally gets its 200t rover attached after 0.20.0 I'll be right on it :)

Pictures is upcoming. Did an Laythe aerobreake from 6000 m/s once, found that an slingshot around Jool gave me en direct intercept so I dropped the Jool aerobrake.

The strange thing is that mechjeb landing autopilot did not give me an orbit, either deorbit or flyby so I went for flyby and did an braking burn then exiting the atmosphere to enter orbit followed by an second aerobreake to get an low orbit.

The Kerbin one was one pass, put it higher than I could as I wanted to send the miner to Minmus.

• 7 months later...

While I appreciate you want information, bumping a months out-of-date thread is probably not the best way to go about it. I'd advise making a new thread in General Add-on Affairs, or asking that question in the thread for the mod itself.

Thread closed. Have a nice day :)