Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

Couple more simple questions and I swear Ill let ya be =)

Is there a certain strut you use when making aircraft, or will any of the strong struts do the trick the same?

Also, regarding item 4 in your 'carrier plan' list above...would you consider a small truck (kinda like what they use at airports but much smaller) to move planes meeting this requirement?

Is there a certain strut you use when making aircraft, or will any of the strong struts do the trick the same?

Also, regarding item 4 in your 'carrier plan' list above...would you consider a small truck (kinda like what they use at airports but much smaller) to move planes meeting this requirement?

1) I use my silver shiny strut, it's the lightest one.

2) A small tow tractor or the like could be used, I find coordinating it effectively to be tricky, if the carrier moves everything needs to be docked. What would be easiest - aircraft gear that have a low speed steer and low power motor (thinking of adding this into the Naval Air pack) With a reversing engine turning is best done by going back and forth while turning. Some times setting the brake on one rear wheel via quick key will allow it to turn quick.

Further to the truck idea, the newest vanilla wheels are the best for grip and durability.

What would be easiest - aircraft gear that have a low speed steer and low power motor (thinking of adding this into the Naval Air pack)
Have you tried using Touhou's new landing gear on the carriers? I'd be interested to know if they work just as well on the flight deck as they do on the ground.

I seen that pic in KAS thread, that's perfect!!

Also TT wheels are listed by name in support forum as possible cause of slowdowns, haven't tested them myself post 0.20, so I cant say if that's so...

edit: also was wondering if you noticed how much memory usage boat parts + naval planes/weapons add to ksp when running...0.20 kinda made me have to pick and choose mods....curious how many I will delete for carriers =)

Edited by KhaosCorp

Is there a docking system for the runabouts, just like airplanes have? Something like a scaffold when they get small ships out the water.

editedit

Q answered, no more need for a huge pic.

TY Khaos.

Edited by Okreeks

Woulndt it start swinning on a rope like that?

If left as in the pic yes, but the cable actually has a plug right before the magnetic disc actually holding the boat. That little plug locks into the winch when the cable is fully retracted.

Made some progress on polishing up R3. After I played around a bit and took more pics.

ea1kwl.png

Picked up a few stranded kerbo-nots and instead of heading back to the carrier, decided to go sightseeing!

10r31x2.png

Even with the carrier moving at full speed, the boat just hangs there attached, be sure to disable the little ships engines or you'll have it trying to fly around!

I did notice an issue leaving the seats while on the little boat, not sure if it was KAS or something else but I caused a physics lock... didn't worry me much as R3 comes equipped with a physics lock override! Mah ha ha ha! The override isn't perfect... sometimes kerbals die, but hey anything to save the ship! :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

And yet another reason (as if I really needed another one...) I'm birddogging this thread.....Gonna make me a seaborne Launchpad! That's 100% of all flight operations handled by the navy! Ill probly just use the smaller of those 2 carriers in your teaser pics ID....because honestly I am never gonna land a plane on there...not a jet at any rate lol...

Speaking of jets, I'm still working ona jet to fill all 6 points you listed for carrier craft...best so far is 3...

Is it just me, or do boats make kerbals happy

Sorry if I sound newbish but where would I happen to find a Aircraft Carrier Mod of any sorts?

This is the right thread, but the mod is currently being updated, so download is disabled. Should be getting close to release3 though. Go back over the past few pages, some good pics have been posted during testing.

That sounds like kraken bait.... I can already hear the thousands of silently screaming kerbals.

It has automated measures to protect the carrier. The problem is with the game itself, leaving one vessel on another and switching focus from one to the other without being landed.... causes this.

In the event that something were to lock the carrier, there is a nice little override button that saves the ship. In the past people would need to edit their persistence file to correct this.

Once they fix the game, this won't even be needed... keep your fingers crossed. :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

Nice work! Have you done the submarine Parts?

Sub parts were delayed. The prototype works - which was the functional test. The modelling is 50% complete but I shelved it in favor of concentrating on the carrier.

The R3 carrier will be the LAST full release featuring carriers. After that only special add-on items/components and/or updates will be done.

R4 may very well feature the sub stuff. The main thing that made me decide to drop the sub development is the poor look of the underwater in ksp. Essentially all water is a single sided plane. For underwater to look good there needs to be an underside plane and possibly blur effects on the camera to limit vision. I have ideas on the drawing board to overcome these problems but doing so would have set R3 back another few months.

Nobody wants to wait another 2 months do they? :)

Good call that we dont want to wait another 2 months. :sticktongue:

When R3 will be released, what about the other boatparts?

When I play, I have a rule to retrieve landed/stranded Kerbs at the end of their mission or to place a RIP in a graveyard. So Kerbal management is a big thing in my book. (Gives me a idea of what preparation is needed and the effort after a launch. Its more then just launching stuff.)

But to do that, I use your boat parts, to make retrieval ships.

The carrier is nice but for that idea its just overkill. Its not like I'm able to land a plane on it (Planes seem to dislike me) and I dont need a HUGE ship to grab some Kerbs from the water.

DONT GET ME WRONG... I truely love this mod. 50% of my time in KSP, has been using your mod.

Yea, I agree, as interesting as subs sound another 2months for r3 carriers would kill =P

r3 boats(and hope the naval pack comes after...needs them wings =P) is the last thing im really waiting on. Love having a carrier, but also plan for it to double as an industrial barge too...gonna turn the smaller one into seaborne rocket workshop and Launchpad.....have a lot of stuff prebuilt (I hope lol) for em already...still working on stock of planes though...not so good at makin planes

When R3 will be released, what about the other boatparts?

Its not like I'm able to land a plane on it (Planes seem to dislike me) and I dont need a HUGE ship to grab some Kerbs from the water.

DONT GET ME WRONG... I truely love this mod. 50% of my time in KSP, has been using your mod.

1) the older boat parts will undergo a redesign and re-release at a later date.

2) Landing will be easier due to a) the size of the new ship B) the landing assist (arrestor+hook) it's not a cake-walk but should be MUCH easier for those who have issues landing fast movers.

3) Thanks! I'm sure everyone will think this is a step up from the old stuff.

Furthermore, Although the parts are for carriers you can make some half decent cargo ships from this pack. Simply don't add the overhang/deck parts to the hull. The hull sides can be used with hangar flooring to create a pseudo cargo ship/tanker looking ship.

Another thing to consider is that with all the improved loading solutions you can simply load the aircraft into the carrier. Or possibly land a Snjo Firespitter seaplane and winch it up into the hangar with KAS.

In terms of ship size the parts are fairly large, at a minimum 1 bow 1 stern and 2 side hull sections (left and right) will be the smallest design possible using carrier parts, this is what I usually build up and call the 'grasshopper' as it's very short :)

Lastly you'll have the Runabout. That is the shore excursion boat, or river exploration craft...

I will update the other parts but not by this weekend.