Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

The undersea drilling was always going to be using KAS to lower a drilling unit to the sea floor - it may as well be manned, a cupola would give you excellent ocean floor views!

My thoughts are mostly about buoyancy - the Gaby sub mod used changing mass to make things sink, which can put high strain on connected parts - some lower mass, non-buoyant parts would be ideal.

An Abyss mod pack would be the ultimate...love that movie!

Edited by colmo

The next version of this mod seems to be the one thing I'm missing. I heard you're even adding nose guns. Can't wait to try them out on my crappy planes and attempts at VTOL's!

The undersea drilling was always going to be using KAS to lower a drilling unit to the sea floor - it may as well be manned, a cupola would give you excellent ocean floor views!

My thoughts are mostly about buoyancy - the Gaby sub mod used changing mass to make things sink, which can put high strain on connected parts - some lower mass, non-buoyant parts would be ideal.

An Abyss mod pack would be the ultimate...love that movie!

Yes there are issues with increasing mass.. That's why I made my float code have a simple on/off float switch. I would use KAS to lower it with a pod that has really good IVA visibility. The KAS attachment itself may need to have it's mass increased to around 1.8 kerbal mass units for it to sink.

If you have boatparts installed to make ANY part sink instead of float simply add this to its CFG:

MODULE

{

name = idFloatCode

floatBypass = true

floodResist = 21

}

This is taken from the CFG of one of my parts, floodResist is a modifier you can use to tune how fast the part sinks.

As an example I quickly made this rover out of parts that I applied the sink code to:

e5oh2v.png

If you get something working post a pic here, I'd like to see it :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

Do wings etc work under the surface? Or could we use your rudders as depth rudders by placing them on the side?

BoatParts rudders work well underwater, rcs works rather well too.

That bit of float code to cancel boyance will be helpful, making a submersible (its really cheaty, just doing it to play with ideas more than anything)

Im going to take a moment to point out the splendid irony of diving to the bottom of the ocean in a space exploration game :cool:. Just to be clear I love this and exploration is exploration regardless of which direction you go etc. But the irony . . . god I love this game!

BoatParts rudders work well underwater, rcs works rather well too.

That bit of float code to cancel boyance will be helpful, making a submersible (its really cheaty, just doing it to play with ideas more than anything)

The reality as I see it is... any physics simulation is cheaty. :)

KSP logic assumes that a 1m x 1m cube displaces less mass than 1m x 1 m of water. Therefore everything floats... KSP in this regard is so far off base that it literally takes many kerbal mass to sink a 1m x 1m cube. Make one and see... I have. I think they should clearly define what 1 kerbal mass is... on earth 1 cubic meter of water is one metric ton. 1kg/litre (1000L = 1 ton) On Kerbin it seems it's crazy out of control high.

A big engine made of solid metal floats. - Now that's cheaty! LOL

So this code allows for a tad more realism. Items that shouldn't ever be allowed to float under any condition can be dealt with. Items that should float, the float code can handle. I'll admit there is a fair bit of work to be done, even I'm not satisfied, but for now it's better than vanilla any day in my humble humble opinion! :)

By the way... underwater is ugly, one day I'll have to fix that if they don't :)

It's a prerequisite to me releasing my amazing submarine that's been put on hold.... for now.

Edited by InfiniteDice

Im going to take a moment to point out the splendid irony of diving to the bottom of the ocean in a space exploration game :cool:. Just to be clear I love this and exploration is exploration regardless of which direction you go etc. But the irony . . . god I love this game!

If only we could dig tunnels.

Is there going to be set barrel sizes when the weapon/damage mod is released? Or can I build (model) to any size and be ok?

I'll release a few basic forms, those could then be re-scaled and used to emulate whatever size gun is needed. I'll also most likely release a guide that will help people set their own models up in unity and adjust a custom cfg for interfacing with the plugin dll. Nearly anything should be possible

I'm just wondering (not nagging or anything)how long until the naval parts pack? Keep up the great work, the cannons look awesome.

p.s. Thanks again Dice, for putting my review on the thread, I got another sub today, and I feel It's all because of you. 640 Views!!! Anyway, thanks Dice, once again, there need to be more people like you out there

What happened to the old carrier lift? I'm trying to build an amphibious assault ship, and the side lift is a bit too big.

I took the old lift off the production line till it can be updated. I have a pack that will be released after the Naval Aircraft pack. I can throw it into that if there is interest!

I'm just wondering (not nagging or anything)how long until the naval parts pack? Keep up the great work, the cannons look awesome.

p.s. Thanks again Dice, for putting my review on the thread, I got another sub today, and I feel It's all because of you. 640 Views!!! Anyway, thanks Dice, once again, there need to be more people like you out there

No problem man,

The Naval Aircraft parts pack is next in line. There is still some work to be done, but it's in no way as big as R3 so it won't take as long... I just finished the prototypes for the new gear I'll be posting a video tonight or tomorrow showing the progress... I'll also be starting a new thread, as the Naval Aircraft pack will be a stand alone from the carrier parts.

How does the gun code fire a gun on a different ship when you get in range?

The code sits active... then detects the incoming aircraft, determines if it's friendly or not, or in the case of an unmarked object it determines if it's hostile following a few simple criteria, then it shoots... or doesn't shoot.

InfiniteDice has stated on YouTube and elsewhere that friendly vessels will require an IFF part to identify themselves as "friendly".

Yeah, but he's stated here that it will have to have a IFF marker for it to open fire on detection, he said that unmarked objects are fired on if they are determined to be hostile.

Yeah, but he's stated here that it will have to have a IFF marker for it to open fire on detection, he said that unmarked objects are fired on if they are determined to be hostile.

Correct. Aircraft should have IFF tags in your combat scenarios. Right now it will be blue or red team. I may add another option for 3rd 'neutral' or other team faction. The unidentified objects will fall under two categories most likely. If it's an unmarked aircraft, it will be shot at if it does not have an IFF it's assumed to be hostile in a war scenario. If it's not an aircraft and it's untagged, it will be assumed hostile if it is heading towards the carrier at a speed above the systems hostile threshold (currently at 200 m/s if I recall).

It's pretty good right now, I'm going to work in a few skillful work arounds. In real life ECM wouldn't likely work well against CIWS systems as they use short range detectors that have redundant layers and are hard to fool. They are designed to detect and take out low flying, high speed sea-skimming missiles... mostly under 1km but can be effective at nearly 3km.

My goal is not to make it 100% deadly... it's about 95% deadly now under 1km. I'll likely tune it down to about 70% effective vs. aircraft.

Correct. Aircraft should have IFF tags in your combat scenarios. Right now it will be blue or red team. I may add another option for 3rd 'neutral' or other team faction. The unidentified objects will fall under two categories most likely. If it's an unmarked aircraft, it will be shot at if it does not have an IFF it's assumed to be hostile in a war scenario. If it's not an aircraft and it's untagged, it will be assumed hostile if it is heading towards the carrier at a speed above the systems hostile threshold (currently at 200 m/s if I recall).

It's pretty good right now, I'm going to work in a few skillful work arounds. In real life ECM wouldn't likely work well against CIWS systems as they use short range detectors that have redundant layers and are hard to fool. They are designed to detect and take out low flying, high speed sea-skimming missiles... mostly under 1km but can be effective at nearly 3km.

My goal is not to make it 100% deadly... it's about 95% deadly now under 1km. I'll likely tune it down to about 70% effective vs. aircraft.

This stuff never ceases to amaze me. Plugins are so magical.

I can imagine SEA-RAM missiles in a future update... or by Pirate using the CIWS code and the missile guidance code. Would a mach-1.8 sea skimming (20 m's altitude) cruise missile get through one or even multiple CIWS systems?