ULTIMATE AVIATION CHALLENGE: Fly an aircraft around the world

Sordid

Right, the damn thing had crashed by the time I got home, >:( but here\'s what I have so far...

(All images, right click & open in new tab for bigger)

Time 17:06:44, Distance Over Surface 6,891,334.5m, roughly 1.82 orbits

2gvuhkj.png

:P

The image it crashed/hung on, time 23:46:00, from which I extrapolated a Distance Over Surface of around 9,578,014m, or roughly 2.53 orbits, based on the averaged distance/time from the preceding image.

30lhtua.png

8)

Highest altitude was 13986, so it\'s under the 15k ceiling, too.

Someone tell me if I\'m forgetting something basic, but it seems I have created a magic aircraft. If you want it, I can upload the ship file for you to play with...

2wm25wm.png

Looks like you found another bug in the stall code, or drag, since that little thrust shouldn\'t keep you cruising that long.

If you don\'t want to, I\'ll whip up a bug post in the dev forum - wouldn\'t mind the craft file but I think I can rebuild that.

That\'s the thing, there was NO thrust at all, yet the glide was infinite. I\'ve made several other craft of different wing configurations that do the same thing, & as far as I can tell, the unifying feature is that they all have near neutral pitch when gliding.

Definitely a bug, & feel free to submit it too, it\'s pretty obvious an aircraft under no thrust shouldn\'t be gaining both altitude AND speed at the same time... :)

Link to craft is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70627/Canard_02.craft

That\'s the thing, there was NO thrust at all, yet the glide was infinite. I\'ve made several other craft of different wing configurations that do the same thing, & as far as I can tell, the unifying feature is that they all have near neutral pitch when gliding.

Definitely a bug, & feel free to submit it too, it\'s pretty obvious an aircraft under no thrust shouldn\'t be gaining both altitude AND speed at the same time... :)

Link to craft is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70627/Canard_02.craft

I\'ve found and posted the same thing on the dev forums. I managed a climb and acceleration with a deployed parachute. :P

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I am out then till...

1. This bug is fixed and

2. My more powerful computer is fixed (even that was struggling to launch my small glider :P)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i would like to put forward to the public that i will be attempting this challenge.

and i plan on breaking Three records

1. smallest craft to circumnavigate the world - depending if postal Bob lands it.

2. Fastest Circumnavigation of the world 10 minutes to slow - 8 hours

(a)- Fastest single stage Circumnavigation of the world

(B)-Fastest unpowered Circumnavigation of the world 10-hours

©- First Aircraft to Circumnavigate the world with the Crew Surviving- Failure

3. First Aircraft With VTOL to Circumnavigate the world

Im using my C-119A Flying Box car

it too seems to take advantage of the gliding bug and can glide at 120 for an hour and only loose 20 meters indefinitely

Wish me luck

Edit

im at 7:50 and passed the KSC and going for my second trip

OK! so here we go

I began my Launch and quickly headed west and didnt take a photo until 35mins in (oops- i will do an re-enactment later)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5015;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5017;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5019;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5021;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5023;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5025;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5027;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5029;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5031;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5033;image SUNLIGHT!index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5035;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5037;image Approaching KSCindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=2516.0;attach=5039;image

Edit:

Mission semi-Failure.

attempting to land the crew of the B-119 Flying Box car crashed on the runway. there where no survivors.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Damonjay, I adjusted the Boxcar design, and you don\'t need the struts on the frontal wings. They just seem to tumble the craft during atmospheric re-entry.

Great! hahah i didnt design it to leave the atmosphere tho :S

Edit: i have edited the box car aswell - turns out there were two Fuel tanks that were not being used. also adding a parachute to the front as a drone chute

• 1 year later...

I used MechJeb to maintain 30km on my 1 engine, 3 1m jet fuel tank experimental fighter for a hour and 2 mins, and I landed perfectly on the runway! After refueling, the ship was put beside the runway as a monument.