[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

I'd rather have an SSPP-style MIR, though I wouldn't be opposed to realistic textures (somewhat like BobCat's, but more detailed). Maybe as an option? You're already using Firespitter.dll, which features a texture switcher. If you do it right, it won't be that much of a memory overhead.

Definitely don't get started with something completely new. Soviet stations were an evolutionary program. Zvezda has, at it's core, a habitation section that doesn't look that different from Salyut I. Pretty much everything from Salyut I to Zarya and Nauka could possibly be made.

My ideas are:

Basic station core:

-Habitation. Much like 3m-2m stack you can already make from SSPP, but with a shorter 3m module and some minor size tweaks.

-Propulsion. Three options: Salyut I (looks like a Soyuz PAO), MIR (3m, with two integrated engines) and Almaz (much like the current propulsion section, but with engines mounted radially).

-Docking. Two options. Either a 1.5m docking compartment much like the current airlock section or a MIR-style with a short adapter to 1m and a 6-way, with caps for unused ports.

TKS-based module:

FGB. That one you've already got modeled, but with radiators instead of panels, and perhaps a shorter main hull (ending where the tanks end).

Module sections. Go wild. :) There were 4 MIR modules and 4 (2 of them proposed only) ISS modules. Should be a mine of ideas.

Probe VA. There was a version of VA filled with sensor gear that docked to Salyut 7. Shouldn't be a lot of work to make that from the current VA.

Kvant-1 style module:

Basic module. Remember Kvant-1 for the old MIR? Like that, basically.

FSM. A modified FGB with the flared taper removed, and replaced with a special, shrouded adapter snugly fitting with Kvant-1.

37K Lab sections. There were proposed alternatives to TKS-based modules: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/37kmir.htm

Small Compartment module:

Basic module. Think MIR DC, or Rassvet.

Science Power Platform. A big, tall, structural tower with space for a lot of solar panels.

Docking module:

Resembling Pirs and Poisk, delivered with the Soyuz-style Salyut station propulsion section.

Solar panels: All the kinds and types you can think off, especially those mirroring the old SSPP parts.

Note, this is pretty much what the old MIR pack could do. The real idea is to get a multitude of structural parts, solar panels that could be combined into any of the above.

Note, this is pretty much what the old MIR pack could do. The real idea is to get a multitude of structural parts, solar panels that could be combined into any of the above.

This. No need to go overboard in parts to make it more realistic; a few (or at least fewer) parts that can be plugged together in a variety of ways is better for both creativity and RAM. But I'd still like to see a few more engines (RD-170 YAY!) in this pack. And maybe side-mounted fuel tanks in the same style as the side-mounted RCS tanks?

Is this the right place to get links to the latest builds and fixes? Is there a link to dev builds? I keep seeing posts about development but I am still using the version linked to on this page. The UDM tank bug is kind of a bummer.

RD-0146 doe snot do it for you? :(
No, he's asking if you want to make one for the SLS upper stage he's working on. :)

Here's where he mentioned it...

I like the RD-0146 very much. When we first discussed licensing way back it was before we started work on TALUS and I was planning to ask you about it, and then since I had everything on hold for a while I forgot all about that.

Perhaps we can mess around with it and see what happens. :P

Yes and yes.

Unfortunately my install of KSP asploded last night and I ending up spending all my free time fixing that and not being able to check everything or add anything

Hopefully tonight

@NoMrBond - Any word on the UDM tank bug in the VAB where the tank image expands when you mouse over the part? It's a bit of a buzz kill every time I inadvertently move the mouse across one of the affected bits and it exapnds to fill my entire screen and then I have to toggle pages to get the display fixed.

@NoMrBond - Any word on the UDM tank bug in the VAB where the tank image expands when you mouse over the part? It's a bit of a buzz kill every time I inadvertently move the mouse across one of the affected bits and it exapnds to fill my entire screen and then I have to toggle pages to get the display fixed.

That is fixed in the dev branch, so this issue should be fixed in the next release, conincidentally that was exactly what the 'Yes and yes' in the post you quoted was about

Here is my attempt to build a crew transfer craft from a collection of mod parts. I used kosmos, kw rocketry, aies, and a few others. For the center engine I used the kosmos udm-l0x tanks. I created the engine cluster using a 1.25m to 2.40m adapator and 15 aiees mdoc-2s (20kN per engine). I'd like that cluster to be smaller but I did not have transition part other then that adapter. As it is there are two udm-l0x tanks - a full high on top of a 3/4 high below. I actually start with the top full tank empty otherwise I get to orbit before this stage runs out of fuel.I also used the kosmos procedural bases and fairing. They are slimmer then the ones that come with the procedural fairings mod. I also prefer the corrugated look of the kosmos fairing, the black color option, and the parabolic option that you do not get from the stock mod.

All in all it flies very nicely.

Here is a link to the album http://imgur.com/a/Fneok

Edited by ctbram

That is fixed in the dev branch, so this issue should be fixed in the next release, conincidentally that was exactly what the 'Yes and yes' in the post you quoted was about

Is there a way to access the DEV releases like the jenkins mechjeb github site or do I have to wait for the official release?

Is there a way to access the DEV releases like the jenkins mechjeb github site or do I have to wait for the official release?

Unfortunately not, access to the dev branch as it's set up would allow users to access, change or even delete the root/unity assets within the project (the later of which actually happened at one point), some of which aren't really/ready for public consumption.

Some stuff can be 'pre-released' with module manager configs (like the techTree implementation) and then have those changes rolled in next time, but building the releases with all the assets isn't trivial

---

TL;DR - Sorry you need to wait for release.

Unfortunately not, access to the dev branch as it's set up would allow users to access, change or even delete the root/unity assets within the project (the later of which actually happened at one point), some of which aren't really/ready for public consumption.

Some stuff can be 'pre-released' with module manager configs (like the techTree implementation) and then have those changes rolled in next time, but building the releases with all the assets isn't trivial

---

TL;DR - Sorry you need to wait for release.

speaking of release, is there a rough ETA on that?

I am thinking. I could quickly make URM 2.5m stuff. and quickly would be quicker tha SSPP stuff. SSPP needs a resizing and i would want to try something new with it really.

URM 2.5 would be quite cool. Will you do an RD-170?

I think common Core designs make the most sense. but ULA has not used them in a very good Common core way... they should have tri core atlas Vs by now...

They're never going to, now. Since the 'merger' of the rocket operations of LockMart and Boeing to ULA, it was decided that 'heavy' launches would be with the Delta IV Heavy. The Atlas V Heavy was never considered on anything more than paper. And with all the fuss over Atlas V using Russian engines, I'm not sure what the long term future of that platform looks like anyhow.