[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

A minor thing I'd like to see worked on is the VA ASAS part. It doesn't completely cover the SAS module and it looks out of place, with the rest of the VA looking awesome.

Other than that, unless you want to work on engines(Angara would be great, but I know that you want the axis gimbaling etc before that. LK pack though...), some sciency modules, maybe an antenna of sorts, a radiothermal battery perhaps.

Edited by Redkid

Bobcat has already done MIR

Yeah, as single part modules. The whole point of KOSMOS is that you can recombine parts however you want, and the old MIR had tons of useful bits.

Antares isn't exactly a rocket I am interested in really. It was just a 2 hour drive so i went to go see it. the NK-33 engine it uses however is another story.

The NK-33 is a pretty brilliant engine, iirc the entire first stage of the Antares uses Russian & Ukranian designs.

Antares isn't exactly a rocket I am interested in really. It was just a 2 hour drive so i went to go see it. the NK-33 engine it uses however is another story.

From what I remember reading somewhere, the NK-33 is a direct descendent of the Russian rockets designed for the Soviet N-1 moon rocket. This is one of THE most efficient liquid propelled rockets in existence.

Hey folks. I've just started playing about with this mod and, whilst it's great, I've not really got any good ideas for suitable launch vehicles - other than trying to balance my station on top of a rocket, which sounds pretty unstable to me! Anyone got any hints please? (I've got KW rocketry, NovaPunch and a couple of others, so i have the parts, just not the brains ;) )

Hey folks. I've just started playing about with this mod and, whilst it's great, I've not really got any good ideas for suitable launch vehicles - other than trying to balance my station on top of a rocket, which sounds pretty unstable to me! Anyone got any hints please? (I've got KW rocketry, NovaPunch and a couple of others, so i have the parts, just not the brains ;) )

To launch all the parts of my stations using Kosmos, I use a launcher mader form 3.75 tanks and engines for KW with a fairing base and payload fairing. I'll post a pic if you want. It's pretty heavy and this baby thake her time to get off, but it can easily reach a 200x200 orbit.

To launch all the parts of my stations using Kosmos, I use a launcher mader form 3.75 tanks and engines for KW with a fairing base and payload fairing. I'll post a pic if you want. It's pretty heavy and this baby thake her time to get off, but it can easily reach a 200x200 orbit.

Thanks. I was considering using fairings but it looked a pretty tall payload for them and I could just see instability and lots of failures. I'm specifically imagning cases where the bottom of the payload is narrow (like a docking ring). Even with struts in place i think it would be pretty wobbly.

I'll have a play and see what happens, a picture would be great for some inspiration though ;)

EDIT: Don't worry, I got one into orbit easier than I thought thanks for the help!

Edited by Atoning Unifex

And here's another vote for updating the Angara tanks and engines!

@Synthesis: you are correct about the tanks being somewhat straightforward to update, I managed to update the 2.5m X 9m and 2.5m x 18m tanks myself by simply editing the respective part.cfg files. Unfortunately for those who used to rely on the Angara pack for heavy-lift launcher hardware, you are also correct about the engines being harder to update.

The two RCS blocks seem to have a poor specific impulse for how much thrust they output, compared to the vanilla one. Their Isp is 85 sea level 180 vacuum, compared to 100/260 for the stock 4-way block. They both have 1.00 thrust. Maybe they were made before the RCS re-balancing.