[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

When you write "the engine doesn't gimbal at all" I assume you mean the thrust vectoring effects are present in the flight mechanics but the engine doesn't visually gimbal in the game.

You only need to produce the effects you are simulating, not the actual RL manifestation.

If you still want a visual effect that does not look "weird" just have it gimbal a little visually but still give the effects of the full thrust vector to the flight mechanics.

well I was going to make launch vehicles using the RD-58SS but they all fall apart in 0.22 so... maybe I will jsut release the engine. and say screw tech trees since I cannot even use model{} module.... doubt anyone will even really use URm because of shaking.

I use them all the time. Edit the launch clamp breakingForce to a higher number (I am using 1500 bF + a quantum strut on the clamp housing aimed 20 degrees above horizontal to help with initial stability). I am launching rockets with 2 URM-9 liquid boosters plus my "custom" URM-10 core booster, using two clamps. That, and Ferram has released a plugin to strengthen joints and clamps over here: Properly Rigid Part Connections (I have not had a change to evaluate it)

That, and Ferram has released a plugin to strengthen joints and clamps over here: Properly Rigid Part Connections (I have not had a change to evaluate it)

Even with Ferram's plugin, the launch clamps aren't strong enough to hold a large URM rocket. It looks like editing the launch clamps is still the effective way to work around Squad's change to launch platform placement.

Any comments about the suggestion I made a few pages back?

Specifically: "Also, I was going to suggest you choose a... "Delivery method" similar to how KW did their recent one, the pack itself and a lite textures pack.

I remember you mentioning a few pages back that using TGAs is inefficient if compared to MBMs on the RAM and doubles or triples the usage, as it is set up now, you offer us the TGAs so, if we want, we can resize them to change texture load. Offering us the pack with MBMs would maybe even remove the need to resize it for some people, and the lite pack with resized MBM textures would lower the ram load even further!

So, tl;dr: less customizability for better performance!"

Could be something to be delivered with the future R&D integration update..

Engine is up :)

Sorry to complain ... It looks like the base of the rocket is missing. It floats just below the attach node, and the log has "Cannot clone model KOSMOS/Parts/Engine/Kosmos_Angara_RD-275K/model_RD-58SS_Base as model does not exist" I couldn't find a model with that name in the .zip file. That gimbal range is pretty radical compared to the usual 1-2 degrees, by the way. Very cool.

Edited by MOARdV
Missed part of the error message when copy/pasting

CBBP, is this pack gonna be made career compatible, or are you going to keep it as a sandbox-only pack?

As far as I'm aware, he is busy with a couple of things right now, it will get updated for career eventually, as of now you can just manually update each part in the pack into it by yourself to do the trick

Still wanting to hear something about my suggestion posted a few pages back.

suggestion?

"Also, I was going to suggest you choose a... "Delivery method" similar to how KW did their recent one, the pack itself and a lite textures pack.

I remember you mentioning a few pages back that using TGAs is inefficient if compared to MBMs on the RAM and doubles or triples the usage, as it is set up now, you offer us the TGAs so, if we want, we can resize them to change texture load. Offering us the pack with MBMs would maybe even remove the need to resize it for some people, and the lite pack with resized MBM textures would lower the ram load even further!

So, tl;dr: less customizability for better performance!"

oh that. I think ignoring it shows how interested I am in it. but let me explain. I already offer TGAs for people to resize. all images get transformed into .dds regardless. .mbms degrade the quality when exported into them. Kyle from KW has done plenty of experiments and I decided I am fine with .tgas. 6 months ago people wanted TGAs cause everything was .mbm. Now they want .mbm again. ideally we would want .pngs. or straight .dds.

I am unable to get this mod to work while having B-9 Aerospace installed, is there any way to fix this? I can get them to both work without each other but not when they're both installed.

Try using the reduced texture packs here Suggest trying the squad one and the B9 one, though with the B9 it is only most of the parts and you have to delete the .tga files by hand as the ones in that pack are .png's and I don't know what would happen when you leave both in the same folder. And lowering the texture quality to half res. I had to do that when I used B9, KW, NovaPunch and a couple others. It crashed the game cause the mods were bring the memory over 3.whatever GB of memory. Either told me it was out of memory or made mono.dll or Kerbal.exe produce an access error. Also try the Kosmoslite version on the first post.

Edited by Ki-Tarn
link format error

I am unable to get this mod to work while having B-9 Aerospace installed, is there any way to fix this? I can get them to both work without each other but not when they're both installed.

Use attoseconds B9 reduction pack, search for attosecond on spaceport. It almost keeps the texture quality of B9 (you won't notice it unless you soom far in) and allows you to use many more mods. There is also a texture reduction pack for this mod.

oh that. I think ignoring it shows how interested I am in it. but let me explain. I already offer TGAs for people to resize. all images get transformed into .dds regardless. .mbms degrade the quality when exported into them. Kyle from KW has done plenty of experiments and I decided I am fine with .tgas. 6 months ago people wanted TGAs cause everything was .mbm. Now they want .mbm again. ideally we would want .pngs. or straight .dds.

Oh, I see!

Thank you very much for your reply Cbbp! Keep up the good work on the SSPP/URM pack!