[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

Could that be why I was having game crashes when trying to launch it?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kraken#Hell_Kraken

I'm going to see if restoring the Spaces folder from 4.6 fixes it.

I restored mine and got to the launch pad, but KSP crashed when I went back to the VAB (because I forgot a couple parts - oops). However, I've been dancing on the edge of the 32 bit limit for a while, so I suspect I just need to prune some other parts.

BTW, the new procedural fairings and engine shrouds look fantastic!

i should also mention that what i am experiencing is probably null space with Kosmos with this and i know what null space looks like because i had suffered it many times...

i should also mention that this is being caused by my attempts at organizing mods based on how much memory there is which does work up to a point but can result in lots of problems with textures, menus, and parts but it depends.

Edit: i just tested whether or not it was the organization and it turns it wasn't so it is suffering null space for me

Edit2: i should also mention that the new URM parts won't appear and also is there a bug fix for this?

Edited by Helix935

Engines have been tuned to sane TWR's (mass was increased a bit for the 3 main ones)

The numbers including in the pack are modeled to conform to the performance characteristics of their real life counterpart parts as closely as feasible, stock-alike balanced numbers for mass/thrust were also released with/for each engine including options for either giving up thrust or increasing mass.

Accessing the information is probably not very convenient however, being spread throughout the thread. I can ask about including these stock-alike numbers in commented out lines (//) within the part.cfgs if that would be preferable?

Why's that? That's really odd. Also, who says you have to upload to Spaceport? Just use Mediafire as a temporary upload.

I think if it went up on mediafire only ~30 people would be able to download it before the link went down

Edited by NoMrBond

I think if it went up on mediafire only ~30 people would be able to download it before the link went down

You're thinking of Dropbox. Mediafire has no such limits.

well it works fine for spaceport as it is currently.

scratch that internals are missing.

Download here. thanks Pole cat for pointing it out. we will work on a media file llink or something of the sort...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1417259/kerbal/Spaces.zip

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

I'll say this for the 287th time... Spaceport downloads work just fine if you use a proper download manager like GetRight. For some reason large files don't download right from the Spaceport in a browser.

Also, are the APAS-69 docking ports broken (again)? Mine won't mate and MechJeb's docking autopilot got REALLY confused. It looks like a similar butg that was mentioned way back earlier in the thread?

Edited by MDBenson

Some things to look forward in the next Release... There is obviously quite a hole in launching ability. You either go with the severely underpowered RD-0146 which was not designed for ascent or power but instead ISP, or go with the over qualified RD-275K as your second stage engine and suffer the weight and lower ISP. There is no true dedicated Second Stage vacuum rated ascent engine....

So a new engine is in the works and here is some lure. The RD-58SS, super sport, second stage.. we will leave it for you to decide. The RD-58 originally classed and manufactured for the RD-0146's role. but the RD-0146 so out preforms it that it is obselete. Rather than trash a good design it was recycled into a second stage engine via beefing up some components, adding more capable booster pumps and upping the chamber pressure with minimal loses to ISP it becomes a great for this missing role.

Of course I could merely recreate an RD-58m or MF off the hi-res images I came across but instead I need to account for the aesthetics into account. which part will be the best :/ choices...

RD-58%20Development.png

Hey, how about making an RD-0210? It'd be nice to have. Since you already made RD-275, this would make a great mid-power upper stage engine to go with it.

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd0210.htm

Also, there's RD-212, which would be a nice low-weight, higher thrust alternative to RD-0416. It could be useful as a 3rd stage engine for higher loads than RD-0416 can handle.

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd0212.htm

Yes, I'm thinking of a possible future Proton with realistic engines. :) I've tried making a procedural one, but even using NK-33 for liftoff, it was just too heavy (or maybe the SSPP parts are overweight).

Well, you need to fit 4 on a 3.75m diameter rocket. So 1.25m in diameter. Slightly smaller than 275K, but not too small, it's still a pretty hefty lifting enigne. I think that it should be similar in size to your RD-58SS, but slightly larger.

TBH, I'd rather have the RD-58 as an upper-stage engine similar to RD-0416, but shorter and stronger (possibly replacing the short version of it). It's a engine used by the Block D, and with future URM-25 parts, it'd probably be easy to make a Block D to sit atop your upcoming N1 or the Proton. Speaking of which, could you make a Proton-style URM-125 mounting flange? I found that I generally like this coupler/nosecone style.

It's not as pretty as an engine ... but what about a 1.25m - 2.5m adapter that fits the Kosmos styling? There are several adapters out there (including stock), but they're all white or white + light gray. Having something that blends in with the orangish color on the interstage would be nice. I currently use multiple 1.25m tanks on the first/second stage, attached to a 2.5m fairing mount that covers the cargo.

It's not as pretty as an engine ... but what about a 1.25m - 2.5m adapter that fits the Kosmos styling? There are several adapters out there (including stock), but they're all white or white + light gray. Having something that blends in with the orangish color on the interstage would be nice. I currently use multiple 1.25m tanks on the first/second stage, attached to a 2.5m fairing mount that covers the cargo.

it is easy to make your own adapters. check the salyut launchers. it will have to do for now.

Updated with some of the recommended changes... thta being outdated plugin and missing internals.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor