[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

A few pages back you asked for suggestions, and aside from my PROTON suggestion (which upon further consideration could end up looking weird in the KOSMOS colour scheme), I have two suggestions for engines: an RD-170 (the Energiya booster engine and Zenith main engine) and an 1.25m RD-0124 (the upper stage engine on Soyuz 2 and probably also ANGARA).

I am not a fan of the RD-0124 TBH. Though with single axis gimbals it is now doable. But it would be weak. RD-0146 has sort of taken its roll as a second stage engine as it was supposed to IRL.

Now that the NRT is coming along nicely I have begun thinking about RD-170, 80, and 90. We alll know what RD-170 looks like and it is strong.

But russia is designing the RD-175. It is basically two RD-180 stuck together. More powerful than RD-170. It has 2 pumps. form what I can see in the images of it

One is LOX and other RP. should I make RD-175 or RD-170. and should RD-180 be RD-185 with the same 2 pump look Russia supports?

render_2.jpg

Compared to

RD-170_rocket_engine.jpg

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

One is LOX and other RP. should I make RD-175 or RD-170. and should RD-180 be RD-185 with the same 2 pump look Russia supports?

The RD170 and RD180 have been done already (Bobcat, and an RD170-like in Lack's SXT). I'd vote for RD-175 and RD-185, FWIW.

Yeah I am always leaning towards the Newer Russian things. Space stations aside. -sigh- if only I had someone to make me IVAs lol.

It is Ironic that the Russians are splitting the pumps On these. They always liked their mono pumps and simplicity but the power boost is massive enough that is it worth It I suppose.

The RD170 and RD180 have been done already (Bobcat, and an RD170-like in Lack's SXT). I'd vote for RD-175 and RD-185, FWIW.

Where can we get that models? Spaceport is down;.;

@CardBoardBoxProcessor: Where you got image of RD-175 and info about it?

I don't think that engine is real. In best case it's only project, like RD-150 at 1974. Two pumps for 4 chambers... two improved RD-180 engines in common assembly is simplier, cheaper and safer.

Guys, where I can download Bobcat's engines? As I wrote, the Spaceport is down and download links was not refreshed.

There is a newer thread with most of Bobcat's stuff, but it doesn't look like the engines pack has been released. You might try asking over there.

Oh... Ok, I'll try to ask there.

It isn't two RD-180s. They split the main pump into two. So one LOX and one RP-1. It's different.

Where you get an info about it? I can't find proofs (except some short news articles) in russian.

Later: Ok, I found it. But I still think the RD-175 is the engine for the Nertea's Near Future Technologies mod.

Edited by Lexx Thai

I happened Upon it while looking for RD-170 reference images.

KOSMOS will be on Curseforge eventually unless there is a better site.

Kerbalstuff is really good! Most modders are useing both though kerbalstuff and curse

I am not a fan of the RD-0124 TBH. Though with single axis gimbals it is now doable. But it would be weak. RD-0146 has sort of taken its roll as a second stage engine as it was supposed to IRL.

Now that the NRT is coming along nicely I have begun thinking about RD-170, 80, and 90. We alll know what RD-170 looks like and it is strong.

But russia is designing the RD-175. It is basically two RD-180 stuck together. More powerful than RD-170. It has 2 pumps. form what I can see in the images of it

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/images/rockets/engines/rd175/render_2.jpg

Compared to

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/RD-170_rocket_engine.jpg

I don't really care whether you make the newer versions or the older versions. I'm not that much into doing real missions, and I'm sure that you'll do a great job no matter which engine you decide on. And for the RD-0124, if you don't want to make it, don't make it. It's just that there aren't too many upper stage engines in KSP as it is currently.

Oh, two parts that I feel are really missing from the SSPP: a direct 1.25m -> 2.5m adapter, and a 1.25m -> 3.75m adapter. Especially the 1.25 -> 2.5m one, it'd make MIR-style station modules much better looking.

Well NTR is coming along. Has niffty way of Gimbaling now. Means more complex stuff to add to it but it will be worth it. After pipes for Gimbals are run just needs some stuff for the Extendable nozzle and it should be set for Maping. :)

Sweet. From the video that you posted a while back, I've got my hopes up.

Oh, wow. Don't tell me that you have two engine module, one for the main thing and one for those vernier thrusthers and you actually gimbal only those? The only other mod I've saw with that was the second-stage engine of Horizon aeronautics. And the plumbing on this seems top-notch as always. In fact I'm really a fan of the details on the engines of this pack, and I'm looking forward to the next update

:)

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...If there is an update for this that works for 0.25 start a new damn thread. Trying to scrub through 140 pages to see if there has been an update, a patch, or anything useful is ANNOYING as hell!

I mean seriously I love this mod but if it has been abandoned by the original developer why not make a new thread that can have a proper sticky page number one to let people know about current update status and the latest version?????

I keep seeing posts saying a new version is in development but I have to scrub through a bunch of pages of posts which is a waste of time. Why not start a new thread and if there is an update put it on kerbalstuff so people get automatic emails for updates. People can have dozens of mods and trying to scrub through all the flotsam in this thread is just a total waste of time.

Edited by ctbram