A moon rocket and moon trip walkthrough for newbies. (21.1)

Thank you for the kind words. I do intend to eventually make more tutorials, but if you've ever tried to make one of your own, you're already aware that they're a great deal of work. I plan the mission, fly it a couple of times to make sure I've got the instructions clear in my head, then write out the steps, then perform the mission one or more additional times so that I can take screenshots to plug into the text. And that's assuming I've already got a suitable ship, so if not, I need to build that too, and test it several times before posting something that I'm sure will be easy for people to download and fly. However, I did just finish my previous big project, and I have considered making my next tutorial an Apollo-style Duna-and-return. But that would require one or more dockings, so I'm wondering if a docking tutorial would be necessary first, and I hesitate to take that on because I think it's a subject that might be better handled in video format, and I'm not set up for those. However, you have given me food for thought, and renewed enthusiasm for the idea. Thank you!

I made some rockets like this for a local friend a while back, designed to be forgiving

Land on the mun and return (MJ not included):

http://kwzs.be/~kevin/ksp-0.20/Mun%20Lander%201_2.craft

munlander1.png

Recipient had troubles plotting burns so I made this new version. It was intended for mun and ended up at jool somehow. I took it to Ike, that counts as a moon landing, right? :)

Go to a moon in style:

http://kwzs.be/~kevin/ksp-0.20/Mun%20Lander%202_3.craft

munlander2.png

Alternately, go to the moon, efficiently:

http://kwzs.be/~kevin/ksp-0.20/Mun%20Lander%203.craft

munlander3.png

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this tutorial and craft. I'm a newb and was killing myself trying to do the Apollo 11 tutorial from the wiki. Finally I said, there has got to be an easier way, and here it is!

The craft is so stable and easy to fly I was able to land on the Mun my first try! Well OK, the third try, my first 2 tries ended up fireballs on the Munar surface.

Thanks for the info, really new to the game, it was helpful to see. With a handful of successful Kerbaled orbits, a couple sats in orbit, and a probe on a deep space path, trying for the Mun sounds fun. I will have to give it a shot.

I'm not exactly new to the game but my rockets never had enough fuel and when i managed to get a good orbit I always crashed into the surface of the Mun. I also like the asparagus staging on the first stage which makes it last WAY longer that mine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks heaps for this. Its exactly what ive been looking for. Although the videos out there are great. Nothing beats a step by step tutorial that you can read. Very helpful.

Just reading this at work so i`ll try your rocket out tonight but it looks great. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/smilies/k_huh.gif

Thanks again.

Chris.

• 2 months later...

Great guide, I am playing in career mode without some of these parts, but it is very useful to me anyway. I haven't made an attempt yet because I need to change my design, but I can't wait to try. Also, a docking guide would be great as I like how you write.

Thank you for the kind words, guys. I tried to write a docking tutorial, but it was getting away from me and rivaling Moby Dick in length. Though now that you mention it, I am looking for a new project, and might take another bash at it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain, last time i visited mun, i ran out of fuel in my elliptic orbit about kerben. luckily, however, my lowest altitude was a little less than 70km. This allowed me to aerobrake around the planet (about 30 passes) and FINALLY fell back safely to kerben. The poor kerbal in the lander had a 17+ day mission.

• 3 months later...