Kerbal Grasshopper (VTVL)

So I have a design for a hybrid air breathing rocket that can hover forever. In one test I overshot the space center by 30km and flew all the way back. Landing still needs work, its very difficult. I'll probably make a video of the official flight.

I'm so pleased finally completed this challenge.

22tn payload into orbit and 97tn landing back at KSC!! After a few attempts still not managed to land it on the pad:

On the pad with its payload one rockman32 and a hitchhiker container

I8QLLEO.jpg

Here it is in orbit after releasing its payload

9Mkinic.png

And here it is near the pad

hYFjSYy.jpg

Edited by Swifty

I'm so pleased finally completed this challenge.

22tn payload into orbit and 97tn landing back at KSC!! After a few attempts still not managed to land it on the pad:

On the pad with its payload one rockman32 and a hitchhiker container

I8QLLEO.jpg

Here it is in orbit after releasing its payload

9Mkinic.png

And here it is near the pad

hYFjSYy.jpg

Jesus balls!!! Thats big!

Well done! :D

Thank you

Very elegant. :)

Actually for a moment I thought recording lag would make it impossible. Did a lot of overrotating. Recording lag, plus the reaction delay on jets was tricky.

The maneuvering thrusters are genius, don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. Guess that's easier than steering something that big on the throttle-laggy jets.

They are a bit tricky because I always expect north to be south, etc, causing some confusion.

So the SpaceX video features a rocket with 3 stages, each of which makes a powered landing at the launch site. This challenge is about making a SSTO rocket that can land on the pad, which makes up the first stage of the SpaceX rocket, but would you accept entries that replicate the entire thing? Basically, it would be like launching a payload once in orbit, but instead of just leaving it there, we would separate that payload into two parts and land each one as close to the launch pad as possible.

What do you think? Doable within the constraints of the challenge, or do you think that would warrant its own thread after this one has run its course?

I managed an two stages who was both able to land safely, first stage drops straight after gravity turn, second reach orbit and land.

The first stage need work as its hard to land. I even tried an recoverable falcon heavy, downside with this is that I need to get the main stage to the next continent to land it.

Hadn't noticed this thread before, but someone pointed it out.

I didn't do SSTO because, honestly, SSTO isn't as cool as the real SpaceX plan.

Falcon 9R - KSP Style

Guess it doesn't qualify for the challenge but it's fully stock (save for the mechjeb) and returns everything to a powered landing - even the payload. And yes, it manages 1st stage boostback to the pad by running a steep initial trajectory and flies the 2nd stage to a good enough transfer orbit before the first stage re-enters too low. Video included.

I submitted it in spaceport but nothing returned. I'll try again when I have time.

Not the most difficult build though, very little in terms of balancing.

KSPort is weird, for some reason it takes a day to show up after submitting something for the first time.

Made a SSTO which delivers a payload of 11.25 tons to orbit (75km), returns and lands near the launchpad (~151m) :)

I used Mechjeb because it is so tedious quick saving and loading every time to get your landing coordinates right...

I think payload size is just as important as getting near the launchpad: honestly, what's the point in going up there with your rocket if you do not leave anything up in orbit? :)

Pictures:

3X3aP7f.png

QVlt4kK.png

pMzekHp.jpg

7DLvKA9.jpg

dk2g1XZ.png

dD9u10t.jpg

o2DYkye.jpg

I think payload size is just as important as getting near the launchpad: honestly, what's the point in going up there with your rocket if you do not leave anything up in orbit? :)

Space tourism! It's already worth millions. http://www.virgingalactic.com/

By the way, I found out that SpaceX is looking to make every part of the "Falcon Heavy" launch vehicle have Grasshopper's capability! So that is the 3 part first stage, which lands minutes after takeoff as it just goes straight up and down, and then the second age lands after coming back from orbit! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Heavy

So we will see flocks of rockets landing around each other.

Maybe this is old news, but I think it's amazing.

• 2 months later...
Made a SSTO which delivers a payload of 11.25 tons to orbit (75km), returns and lands near the launchpad (~151m) :)

I used Mechjeb because it is so tedious quick saving and loading every time to get your landing coordinates right...

Pictures:

Hey sorry I did not notice your entry. I got it now.

I like the saturn-1 style stage. I wish we had some kind of shroud to cover that style of build.

I agree that payload is important, after all, payload is the whole point. But first you got to do the R&D which is kind of what this challenge is.

Also have you seen the math on engine clusters? In the current KSP, high Isp at sea level seems to trump pure thrust.

PS, on the craft file of my submission. I sent them a report about my error and never received a response.

Space tourism! It's already worth millions. http://www.virgingalactic.com/

By the way, I found out that SpaceX is looking to make every part of the "Falcon Heavy" launch vehicle have Grasshopper's capability! So that is the 3 part first stage, which lands minutes after takeoff as it just goes straight up and down, and then the second age lands after coming back from orbit! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Heavy

So we will see flocks of rockets landing around each other.

Maybe this is old news, but I think it's amazing.

I intend to be there for the first heavy launch at Vandenberg.

I hope this is close enough to count as 'the pad', if not I'll try again - Mechjeb is quite consistent for a given design but not quite perfect and certainly not as good as the SpaceX system. Payload 4.68t ;)

Jets do make it easy and B9 dual mode engines make VTVL quite trivial...

Second craft in this post, I've not finished tidying it up yet but I think it is so pretty...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33503-Show-off-your-B9-Designs%21?p=501586&viewfull=1#post501586

My latest, VTVL +216t payload to 100km orbit...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33503-Show-off-your-B9-Designs!?p=508910&viewfull=1#post508910

there are a couple of other spins on jet launchers on my youtube channel if any are interested.

I hope this is close enough to count as 'the pad', if not I'll try again - Mechjeb is quite consistent for a given design but not quite perfect and certainly not as good as the SpaceX system. Payload 4.68t ;)

Jets do make it easy and B9 dual mode engines make VTVL quite trivial...

Second craft in this post, I've not finished tidying it up yet but I think it is so pretty...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33503-Show-off-your-B9-Designs%21?p=501586&viewfull=1#post501586

My latest, VTVL +216t payload to 100km orbit...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33503-Show-off-your-B9-Designs!?p=508910&viewfull=1#post508910

there are a couple of other spins on jet launchers on my youtube channel if any are interested.

Hey cool entry. Let’s assume it’s on the pad because it looks as though, if the ramp was not present, the rocket would not fall.

A note however, that rocket setup should easily be able to bring much more mass to orbit if you control your throttle, and hold your vehicle vertical longer. Your drag costs could be a fraction of what they are now.

• 1 month later...

So improving on the previous post, I present the pineapple launcher. Its low in parts, 72t at launch and brings 27t to orbit. Well that is the work of mechanical parts of jebs brain... Which also in current revision lands on launchpad strusses after consuming quite some more fuel than usual. Probably burning it before it explodes anyway.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.