[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

May I point out one bug I've experienced.

I have built a space shuttle (discovery replica), and it all went fine until I got out of the atmosphere, time accelerated, and after the acceleration have of the wings broke of spontaneously...

Any Ideas?

Just to be clear, we've gotten the 2-6 HW21 wings to the point where they don't rip off in warp anymore, late last night.

However KSP still makes them move back about a meter when you come out of warp, so it has a tendency to explode engines/intakes embedded in the wing, because the connection fails.

The HW21 wings have 21 meters of semi-span, or a total of 42 meters of wingspan minimum ... that's roughly 5 times the wingspan of the stock swept wing, ~20 times the lift & proportionately as much mass. Its uncomfortably close to the limit of what KSP can functionally support as a single surface-attached part :)

There is one more thing I noticed: if you surface-attach a wing part at an angle, then surface-attach a control surface to it, this usually works ok; however on the last adapter in the picture it sticks at a weird angle, which is roughly proportional to the rotation of the wing, but cannot be fixed by shift-rotating the surface back due to some minor inconsistency. A good workaround seems to be to first build the wing straight with all the necessary controls, then detach it and rotate to the desired angle as a whole, but it is a bit annoying.

9NpPe51.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with getting heavy VTOL's airborne?, I've been experimenting with the B9 aerospace pack, love the parts but I'm having a hard time boosting them into orbit with larger payloads. The goal for the past week has been to design a mother-class ship that can land on Laythe VTOL style, so far i haven't even managed to get it of the landing strip in the regular way. It's a 180-200 ton monstrosity that just won't lift of for some reason, I've managed to get 200 tons into orbit if I'm not mistaken from the landing pad but my big VTOL ships always starts rolling for some reason or they stall even though I've centered my COL, COM and COT (only the vertical thrusters that is):confused:. Oh and while I'm at it, is there a way to calculate the amount of lift any given weight needs (in this case not lift as in thrust but lift as in "wing-lift", do i need the same amount of lift as mass)? how is it linked to TWR in atmosphere?

This is my fuselage that I'm working from...

s2AlYnY.jpg

There is one more thing I noticed: if you surface-attach a wing part at an angle, then surface-attach a control surface to it, this usually works ok; however on the last adapter in the picture it sticks at a weird angle, which is roughly proportional to the rotation of the wing, but cannot be fixed by shift-rotating the surface back due to some minor inconsistency. A good workaround seems to be to first build the wing straight with all the necessary controls, then detach it and rotate to the desired angle as a whole, but it is a bit annoying.

9NpPe51.jpg

yeah this is longstanding and increidbly annoying and I've been fighting it when using FAR for aaaages

I am playing around with the "trucker" cockpit (M27) and I've just checked the insides and played around and I gotta say WOW!

Your attention to details is rare, VERY solid stuff you got.

You sir are an genius, if you need help to evolve this mod into something more or someone to bounce ideas to send a PM to me! :)

I might send you a huge list of stuff you can add ;)

Does anyone have any experience with getting heavy VTOL's airborne?, I've been experimenting with the B9 aerospace pack, love the parts but I'm having a hard time boosting them into orbit with larger payloads. The goal for the past week has been to design a mother-class ship that can land on Laythe VTOL style, so far i haven't even managed to get it of the landing strip in the regular way. It's a 180-200 ton monstrosity that just won't lift of for some reason, I've managed to get 200 tons into orbit if I'm not mistaken from the landing pad but my big VTOL ships always starts rolling for some reason or they stall even though I've centered my COL, COM and COT (only the vertical thrusters that is):confused:. Oh and while I'm at it, is there a way to calculate the amount of lift any given weight needs (in this case not lift as in thrust but lift as in "wing-lift", do i need the same amount of lift as mass)? how is it linked to TWR in atmosphere?

This is my fuselage that I'm working from...

s2AlYnY.jpg

I have noted over the weekend though trials that it take 6 VTOL engines to lift 59.27 tons for the Prototype SSVOTL 1

This works out to be approximately 9.878333 tons per engine @ 98 -100 % thrust. On prototype 2, I used 8 engines to lift 62.82 tons of the same design but with added Lazor system, missiles and ISA system and It needs 90% thrust. This seems to work better with a bit of thrust left over. I have also noted that due to the low center of gravity at the rotation point an added engine in center back of craft is needed to keep craft on level controllable flight angle. For my craft I have added 4 KerbX falcon 1 engine to give me 1040 of forward line propulsion. Attached are hanger shots with info tabs open. I hope this helps.

screenshot176_zpsf9d3fbdb.pngscreenshot177_zps1d5b7a33.png

Just in case someone wants to check

here is a pastebin of a persistent.sfs file with the ship in orbit, but, when you load the ship from the tracking center, the ship will explode because the warp.

I hope that will help solving, or test the solution.

persistent.sfs

Ty

Just to be clear, we've gotten the 2-6 HW21 wings to the point where they don't rip off in warp anymore, late last night.

However KSP still makes them move back about a meter when you come out of warp, so it has a tendency to explode engines/intakes embedded in the wing, because the connection fails.

Trying that persistent.sfs from the above post, it seems that removing the CoMOffset line from part.cfg completely fixes the jumping and exploding. Maybe that parameter is bugged due to relative disuse and shouldn't be used, especially for something this heavy.

About the weird angle issue, it seems it may be caused by the adapter's attachment surface sides not being parallel to the center axis of the craft:

dbCKQdh.jpg

Since the rearmost area of the collider already seems nearly parallel, maybe it can be changed to be fully flat?

I have a little "issue" that is not exclusive to Aerospace.

Why is manned modules able to move around without RCS?

I made a Tuger with the M27 and it is moving around too easily and make me feel like I am cheating, is there a way for users to fix this or is it something the devs will fix?

It's "pod torque". The command pods all have reaction wheels in them to provide steering. Real world tech, tho a little bit more powerful

"tho a little bit more", how humble.

Is it the "// --- pod/rcs parameters ---" in the cfg file?

Now I have to write a ratio for a mass / realistic pod torque -.-

I really hope it supports 0,X .

If anyone more is interested I am willing to put it out as a small mod (and please note this is not a problem I feel is exclusive to this wonderful mod!) :)

Edited by SierraKhaar

I love this mod. So many new parts to play with.

Thanks to B9 and Firespitter I created this 100% nuclear-electric little critter. (Reactors and batteries clipped inside the tail section)

screenshot48.png

And this Vulcan Bomber replica.

screenshot53.png

Which brings me to the real reason for posting. My Vulcan misses one part: a bomb bay. I'd love to see S2 sized cargo/bomb bay parts.

Normally I would be the last one to need something like this, but this mod eats up about 400 megs of RAM once loaded into the game all by itself. Are there any odds of a low (or at least medium) resolution pack?

Because why would you have a thermometer on the top of your atmospheric plane lol

Also I saw you had a crew can, so you probably wanted to fill it too :(. (I always put it on the first stage to drop from my rockets since its not useful after you've left the pad, not useful to have more than one of them that is)

Edited by HoY

love this mod, made a crew transporter, holds 18 kerbals it is called the B87 Asimov in the tradition of this mods stock planes

y9FXrA4.jpg

agxxITf.png

file available upon request... need Taverius' Aerospace mod, and this one...

This mod is brilliant, particularly the S2 system: In combination with KSPX I've been having a boatload of fun in a new save. If I were to suggest improvements, I'd simply ask for an S2 cargo bay with doors, much along the lines of the HL fuselage system. The current smaller docking set, although nice, doesn't enable me to make a Space Shuttle-esque kind of payload setup. Still, outstanding work here.

This is a fantastic mod, and I love the M27 Cockpit. However, whenever I use it, the Kerbal's portraits don't show up, so I can't use the IVA. Is there any fix for this?

[EDIT]: Solved, the mod manager I was using didn't install the internals correctly.

[EDIT2]: And my edit was ninja'd by shadow. Thanks though!

Edited by Mistercheif

This is a fantastic mod, and I love the M27 Cockpit. However, whenever I use it, the Kerbal's portraits don't show up, so I can't use the IVA. Is there any fix for this?

You installed the parts wrong. You need to put the "spaces" and "props" sub-folders' contents in the proper folders under "internals".

I can't do this anymore, it really drives me crazy.

After 1 week and numerous iterations of the same basic hull and wings(HW21), i still cannot get the damn thing to space.

The idea:

A heavy cargo craft, carrying DEMV 4 Rat DROP pod(or any other payload up to 20t).

The problems I am having:

I am using Taverio's revised jet engines, which means they are less powerful.

Now I managed to get the required amount of engines for the altitude i want for transition - 12 engines, with intake ratio 4:1.

If I tilt the wings 5 degrees up, to get more lift - at high altitudes the SSTO becomes unstable and eventually does a backward/forward roll.

The latest version allowed me to have a stable climb to 23 000 m, speed of around 1100 m/s and then the craft stops climbing. If i pitch up more than 30 degrees I can't bring the nose back down and it rolls.

I tried transitioning at 23 000 m - it just pitched down and made a roll - this may be due to the fact the winglets in the front are tilted 5 deg down, to stabilise the ascent.

Please help me, i have no idea how to get this thing to space.

I am sharing some pics and the craft file, but since i make heavy use of mods - it may be hard to test for the visitors in this thread.

In any case - mods used are:

1. B9 obviously;

2. KW Rocketry;

3. Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace

4. TAC Fuel Balancer

5. MechJeb

6. DEMV Mk 4 -RAT with DROP pod

7. KAS - Kerbal Attachment System

8. Aviation lights

Here are the screens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjj1vode29b7k06/screenshot129.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozur7wwgdgbc6ss/screenshot130.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rns61jhpk6gc0q/screenshot131.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rns61jhpk6gc0q/screenshot131.png

Craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5iz56owex125hs/SC%20Unsuc.craft

Edited by smunisto

You need to move your wing back a little bit; it sounds like your vehicle is unstable in pitch once it drains a fair bit of its liquid fuel. Either get rid of that forward canard and use some other method to handle pitch control or shift your main wing further back. This is especially likely since the CoL is right on the CoM; move the CoL a little behind the CoM and that should fix things.

I have tried all this before I installed TAC Fuel Balancer. Now I am managing the fuel levels with it to help ascent and fuel levels are not the issue.

After I wrote the previous post I almost managed to get it into orbit - I added 2 tanks of Liquid fuel + 2 more NERVA engines, got to about 30km altitude before shutting off the jets, and starting the KW Engine, however I ran out of fuel when I got my Apo to about 50km.

I think I need a bigger rocket engine for the transition stage - with the current one - 1300 power - I can't push the prograde vector up, and i waste fuel accelerating inside the atmosphere without gaining altitude.

... Add the Tac Fuel Balancer mod and turn it on before you launch. It will keep all your tanks balanced with fuel as it flies. That will help some at least. Also in he SPH make sure you click the Mass and Lift icons on the bottom of the parts window. Make sure those two indicators are in the same place on your ship. That will help with stability.