[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

It's working! As I write, Seetop Kerman is diffing down slowly. Actually he just landed. He's a little wobbly, but still alive! Awesome!

I can now jump from the station without dieing!

Story/demonstration time.

"I've had enough of this, I'm leaving."

"Wehrwin, we've only been up here for 6 hours. We haven't got a capsule, and.. wait where are you going?"

5keV9zM.jpg

And so, using Kerbin's continents as a reference, Wehrwin pointed himself retrograde, and begun his deorbit burn.

Then, with a little clever maneuvering, he set himself up for reentry, hoping the round shape of his helmet would push that hot, hot air away from his body.

dDxxnEC.png

Coming in like superman!

UD87Lu7.jpg

Oh my gosh, it's so hot, so hot!

LsvIa16.png

Way to late to bail now. Wehrwin recalls a dream he had where his parachute failed to open.

v6RjgwU.png

This better work. Just a bit to wait now..

pEpZwas.png

dWS7eTG.jpg

He's safe! Home again, first kerbal to return from orbit without a capsule, and live!

ZA3JDvo.png

Well done Wehrwin, and well done Vanguard technologies, whom he would like to thank for his safe touch down!

Edited by Tw1

O0g7Mqd.png

h5brIUG.png

7HUutj4.png

whcJN2E.png[spoiler/] You meant something like that ?^^

I got a question, would it be possible to be able to throttle the angine from eva? Iv made an jetpack model part, and got the motor runnig etc but i cant throtthle from eva, is there a way ;)? cheers

it is almost, over I think it has a fabric cover. like this

http://www.fresh-mountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/parapentista_Atacado1.jpg

May it also is beautiful

otherwise why not use your gliding like motorcycle bobcat. cockpite and a wing.

Edited by guitoo1
English BAD

Iv done serveral parts using srfs plugin, which is thw way bobcat made his seat to but while in internal seat(for now) the kerbal are locked, this glider , the first version using kas and second one using vanguard .

Which attach to the kerbals directly which i think is more fun =) cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be away for a week and don't really have time to try .20 before that, can someone test if this mod works in .20?

And if it doesn't, I'd appreciate if someone could create and upload a quick fix, I'm working on a new version which I wanted to release in 1-2 weeks, and I can't rush that out due to having to do other mod work (Emergency4 mapping using my custom traffic system... I wish I never started that) too...

You could make an basic spacemarine orbitdroper and then you can use this plugin for attaching it to your kerbals ;)

Im having troubles with the patcher but im sure it will work or that someone will tell you if it dont cheers

it's broken because a single function doesn't exist anymore ;( Dunno if there's a replacement for it, if yes, I'll do a quick patch today, if not, someone else has to do it, I won't be here for a week from tomorrow on...

it's broken because a single function doesn't exist anymore ;( Dunno if there's a replacement for it, if yes, I'll do a quick patch today, if not, someone else has to do it, I won't be here for a week from tomorrow on...

Hi Kreuzung.

About the mod, I'm unsure that I can fix it, but I'll try.

The thing that is confusing is the KSP's new part management. I'll try to work under these circumstances.

Thanks for that, good luck ;)

This is how I far I got fixing it up: http://pastebin.com/BPsWeYFM

Note that I moved the parachute model to GameData\VNG\parachute\model.mu (+ textures), and that it still doesn't work like this.

BTW, has someone ever seen an Android phone not reading the SD card if a filename contains a ☢? Or did I do something wrong?

Looks like the new KSP part config might've confused some people.

This is what I got so far: I added the:

PART
{

}

Into the beginning and the end of the part file config. I'll check to see if it works...

EDIT: Nope, Kerbals can't even get parachutes from the outside...

EDIT 2: Since the .dll files can't be open using DOS system, I decided to use Microsoft Visual Studio to do it. But I have to use Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 because I can't afford to buy Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. ($499.99... now that is expensive...)

Edited by Designer225

@Designer225:

You could always use mono :P

The problem is a changed / removed interface (PartReader, I think it was); not the part.cfg changes. She used it to spawn the parachute model and the 0.20 update removed it.

Question I have is... why are you using KSP's interface instead of unity's? (Not that I know anything about the Unity API.)

@Designer225:

You could always use mono :P

The problem is a changed / removed interface (PartReader, I think it was); not the part.cfg changes. She used it to spawn the parachute model and the 0.20 update removed it.

Question I have is... why are you using KSP's interface instead of unity's? (Not that I know anything about the Unity API.)

You do know that I knwo the issue... but thanks.

And NO, I did put the files to the following path:

C:\Games\KSP_win\Game_Data\Vanguard Technologies (I put the test folder here and renamed it)

... contrary to popular belief. However, I can't seemed to get Kerbals into getting parachutes, or even having the part's texture.

You do know that I knwo the issue... but thanks.

And NO, I did put the files to the following path:

C:\Games\KSP_win\Game_Data\Vanguard Technologies (I put the test folder here and renamed it)

... contrary to popular belief. However, I can't seemed to get Kerbals into getting parachutes, or even having the part's texture.

You keep talking about the mundane aspects (Re: Part.cfg changes, file directories)

It doesn't matter WHERE the files are stored (so long as it is in KSP_Win\GameData\) just that they're there. (I cannot say 100% certain if things will get pruned if they aren't referenced at the end, so a fake part.cfg loading the parachute might be required; but the important aspect is that the code changes force a new dll.)

It isn't that I'm saying you're incompetent... but you keep talking about stuff that doesn't matter; and I figured that it'd probably be easier to use Unity's well documented API rather than KSP's undocumented API that is built upon Unity's API in the first place.

*I guess the point is that we should be hearing about code changes / attempts.

Edited by Fel

• 2 weeks later...
Could you give Hyperedit some love please?

What do you mean? That I should take over HyperEdit development?

Looks like the new KSP part config might've confused some people.

-snip-

EDIT 2: Since the .dll files can't be open using DOS system, I decided to use Microsoft Visual Studio to do it. But I have to use Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 because I can't afford to buy Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. ($499.99... now that is expensive...)

No, it really wasn't the part.cfg... BTW, I'm using VS Express 2010 myself ;)

Right, but you're the 2nd person to think I'm a girl from my avatar^^ (This also happened to me in real life once or twice lol)

I don't think Unity's runtime has anything like that. I think you're supposed to import stuff in the editor and then use content packages to get it into the game, but I must admit that I'm not sure about this.

I still can't solve this, I've got something loaded now, but the parachute doesn't show up (it does however work). Also, using it with external seats is more than interesting, so I have to fix that too...

Progress!

KfFEqBx.png

WR5yXTE.png

Showing off the new semi-deployed mode and the usefullness of external seats^^

However, there's one serious bug left, using an ejection module while a Kerbal is on a seat leads to possibly infinite copies of that crewmember being spawned (only limited by the exploding ejection modules).

Not sure how to handle this, think I'll make the Kerbals leave the seat but not get a parachute (they can still wear one from a chute box while on the seat).

Yeah, the Kerbal's body (and space suit) are actually linking the parachute to the rocket... Doesn't sound too comfortable but whatever^^

Plugin 0.6 / Parachutes 1.1 released now, kill me if it doesn't work:sticktongue:

I'm sure something is wrong, but when testing it, it worked fine... Actually, I'm always 100% sure that I did something wrong while releasing something :P

Ejection action group... If you mouseover the yellow-black-warning-stripes-thing next to the altimeter, the abort button shows up there. Alternatively, you can press backspace (or whatever key you assigned abort to, but backspace is the default one), or use the action group editor to assign it to another action group.

Hehe don't feel bad for blowing up thousands of planes with this mod, for example, take my VC22 "Nagato Yuki" cargo plane as example

DowREhil.jpg

I might've lost 100 of them already :P

It didn't

, went from the original one to the VC22L version there, now in .20.2 it does actually fly (no idea why), but the VC22P is the first one to not loose any parts in normal flight... Need to think about what to do once I'm past the Z version, should I restart with AA? Give it a new number?

During all those disasters, only 1 or 2 crews actually died, the rest survived due to the ejection module and super-sturdy bac9 cockpit (and the only time I had lost the ejection module the cockpit exploded despite falling slower than usually and hitting water instead of the terrain but nobody has to know that).

BTW, the only thing I'll do different with the next big plane will be naming it Haruhi :sticktongue:

BTW2, I think it's the safest to place the ejection module on the cockpit, because otherwise, it's likely to get lost during an accident. Not sure about putting backup ones on other parts, in one situation today it whould've helped but I never had anything like that occur before.