Jet Engine + Rocket = ?

So, I mounted 4 radial turbojets on my rocket with the intent of getting up to 15000m, ditching the engines, and going up the rest of the way on rockets. It works...kind of.

Only problem is that the turbojets tend to spin the rocket when I turn off SAS - even with fins, so I'm doing my gravity turn after I ditch the engines.

Is this design efficient? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that I'm pretty much getting 15000m worth of altitude 'for free'.

When you get to the altitude where a jet engine doesn't have enough air and stops working, not all of the jets will shut down at the same time, throwing the ship around with unbalanced thrust. Is it possible this is what is happening with your ship? Try shutting down the jets in a controlled way, with an action group, before they fail haphazardly.

Try shutting down the jets in a controlled way, with an action group, before they fail haphazardly.

Yeah, I figured that out after the jet engines started spewing sparks and my rocket spun out of control.

Anyways, I fixed the problem. It was a simple matter of turning off angle snap in the VAB and remounting the engines.

Ladies and gentleman, I present...the rocket!

3zJyLiE.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.