KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

Though I was once good competition to Donlokiman, those days are long gone. :P The quality of his ships has continued to improve while mine seem to have stagnated.

The Co-8A is an amazing design sir. It is very hard to define a style and yours is one Ive tried and failed to replicate.. Youve got the Babylon 5 earth cruiser style which try as I might i cannot seem to get right... and when I venture away from my style I get oddballs like the XC-400 and XC-500. On top of that you can manage speed and Dv and weapons ports, mine cannot. Id say you are damn fine competition.

Blast radius in ksp?

Yes there is with the romfarer missile's. And the range on the sunbeam's is limited by the KSP itself where as the missile run on a different code.

And will get you pictures of my dreadnought.

Also that has lasers just incase you bring up 20 or 30 frigates =)

Blast radius in ksp?

Yes there is with the romfarer missile's. And the range on the sunbeam's is limited by the KSP itself where as the missile run on a different code.

Oh so now lasers aren't so bad after all! I saw a picture of it on the babylon thread, props to you, its incredible.

Blast radius in ksp?

With romfarer's mod you can adjust the physics limit, so the laser's kill radius is completely variable. I know because I had to uninstall it, since it was a bother to have massive stations overflying KSC during a launch and killing me with lag.

Rune. The fact that a modded weapon is better than another hardly proves anything either in a game without multiplayer, IMO.

After the conclusion of testing and final design changes being locked in, I am proud to present my first KIDI spacecraft...

The XF-60-2B Frigate!

dLneuFF.png?1

Weighing in at 57 tons, having 139 parts, and highly maneuverable, this craft features full armor plating around sensitive area, 11 weapon mounts (10 small 1 large) with the space for many more if desired, and 2 new design features that have never been seen in the industry until this point, the first of which is the inline bridge. Seating 3 kerbals just forward of the center of mass, the inline bridge allows for the center of mass to be easily kept on the same vector as the center of thrust, simplifying design and generating a smaller head-on profile.

The second design feature is the first ship capable of boosting itself to Military Thrust.

xUIBiYQ.png?2

At normal operating thrust (nuclear engines only), the XF-60-2B has a delta-v of around 5,500 m/s. When required to quickly respond to an event or in order to perform a "strategic advance to the rear", the commander has the option of firing a pair of aerospikes to nearly quadruple the amount of thrust available. With aerospikes activated however, the delta-v of the ship drops to just under 3,000 m/s, so use with caution to avoid stranding your brave frigate commanders.

Any and all suggestions/comments will be accepted and taken into account during the development of any further designs :)

Enjoy!

guzWahy.png?2

Action groups:

1) Toggles antennas

2) Toggles Aerospikes (use with caution!)

.craft file below, no launch stage because my crap computer was already on fire with just this :P

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q0vrkxh64ddlnkv/VBqSHMiHQI/XF-60-2B.craft

Edited by BrightBritches

been looking through this tread the ships on here are amazing

Just started making fighters and warships here's what i've just finished working on :)

Combat Talon

a>

A carrier for 2 of them to transport them around the system

a>

Logistics Ship to Rearm and Refuel, carries 8 missiles

a>

The Co-8A is an amazing design sir. It is very hard to define a style and yours is one Ive tried and failed to replicate.. Youve got the Babylon 5 earth cruiser style which try as I might i cannot seem to get right... and when I venture away from my style I get oddballs like the XC-400 and XC-500. On top of that you can manage speed and Dv and weapons ports, mine cannot. Id say you are damn fine competition.

Thanks :D I've been pretty stuck for new ideas lately and was rebuilding what was basicly the same ship over and over. The Co-8 is the only deviation for a while. Though the XC-305 and 700 look a lot more heroicic :) As more parts are added ships will get better and better. :) Little known fact though........ Its not sir lol :L

I'd like to see someone *cough buckle cough* try a Macross Missile Massacre (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacrossMissileMassacre) with a KIDI ship.

Buckle, you seem to have an affinity with missiles.

Well I gavent set up stagaing or action groups for the dreadnought so it kind of does that anyways

Ill give it a go though

EDIT:

I have a missile cruiser capable of that, About half the capacity of the dreadnought but i HAVE A VIDEO OF IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buK8827rovM

Edited by bucklebill

Try using the lander can for a bridge, it has a much better fov. Cool ship!

The current capsule is more of a placeholder until an update (hopefully .20) gives me a better pod whos pov is parallel to it's mounting point, similar to those in the recent KSP Weekly :)

So would anyone be interested in taking some of my ships into orbit and testing them? My computer runs at about 2fps with anything over 100 parts, and i just built a 324 part cruiser that was slowing my framerate in the VAB, but i'm scared to even try to load it for fear that my computer actually melts :'(

and just as a question can someone give me the .craft for the BIGGEST XC-ship available.

http://www.higgsdyson.com/XC-700.zip

These are prototypes, so expect updates.

Thanks :D I've been pretty stuck for new ideas lately and was rebuilding what was basicly the same ship over and over. The Co-8 is the only deviation for a while. Though the XC-305 and 700 look a lot more heroicic :) As more parts are added ships will get better and better. :) Little known fact though........ Its not sir lol :L

hehe maam.

The ships in scifi that have most influenced my ships are the ones from Starship Troopers.

Hmm never seen those ones. :P I base mine of halo as most of them have quite an aligned centre of thurst and mass. :) aka all mine look quite similar to the Piller of Autum

For a ton of ideas on unrealistic and realistic spaceships, including lots of actual nuclear rockets, "atomic rockets" is an invaluable resource. Plus, if you have doubts, the creator hangs around here.

Rune. I might try something along realistic lines one of these days.

I introduce to you the BI-F200. A medium range frigate with specialized spaced armor to protect against pesky missiles. Inline cabin makes maneuvers easy while still having extra room for kerbols in the bridge. Part count of only 207 and deltaV of 3000. what it lacks in range it makes up for potential firepower with a total of 10 smart missile attachment points (small docking ports). and uses new easy refueling technology (cool way of saying its easy to get to all the fuel tanks and refuel them) while keeping your kerbols safe inside a hard shell.

o ya and the sun came back (i had to restart the game ) so i have good pictures :D

screenshot200.png

screenshot202.png

screenshot197.png

here is the craft file but be warned this is a prototype and will be changed (minor changes) and has no launch stage but you can throw it up there with your own devises (hyper edit :sticktongue: ) http://www./?fq62zviw8ah6nnh

have fun and tell me problems even though i do know some already :blush:

this will be part of my own series of ships (about 10 ranging from ssto - battle ships )

An armoured cargo freighter for mun surface-orbit operations. Cargo bay fits a couple of orange tanks, I used damned robotics for an opening/closing door and gimbaling engines, quantum struts stop it from breaking apart.

The L-300 "Mule" is an up-armoured version of a civilian vessel designed to aid mun mining operations under threat and run blockades to help deliver precious fuel to vessels of war in orbit, as well as serving as a dropship to deploy ground vehicles on the mun.

120T and 2600m/s dV without cargo

190T and 1500m/s dV fully loaded

(not much dV I know, but its not really needed for getting into and out of orbit from the mun, where orbital velocity is only 550m/s)

wIGZ1Vo.jpg

SdPfo1V.png

FmkEuCb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.