Trainer and Example Aircraft for Newbie Pilots (updated for 21.1).

Airplanes are actually harder to build than rockets, and new players often have trouble making them. Since you can't figure out how to fly if you can't get off the ground, here are a couple of planes I made that are easy to fly and stable in the air.

The first one is the T-6d Mentor 2 two seat trainer.

cFAIY.jpg

I've made this plane intentionally sluggish so that it is less likely to get out of control in the hands of a newbie pilot, but even so, apply course changes gently. But best of all for a learning pilot/aeronautical engineer, it will takeoff by itself if you just engage SAS mode with the T key, throttle up with the left-shift key, and start the engines with the spacebar.

Mentor craft file: obsolete

My other offering is the F-5f Francisca.

NuFQr6j.png

yNQCXa5.png

It is much more manueverable than the Mentor, and to be honest, is quite temperamental with the new SAS system, but a steady hand on the stick can keep it under control. The good news is, though, that if it gets out of control, simply take your hands off the controls and the balance of the plane will automatically recover from most tumbles and spins. It is a very fun plane for buzzing the tower,

PBicc83.png

but my favorite thing to do with it is to hug the crests and valleys of the mountains to the west of KSC, where the Francisca's motto is, "If you can't see your shadow, you're too high."

Eay3QLE.png

Both planes are equipped with ladders for crew access, and landing lights for night operations.

Jjfptxi.png

Versions of the F-5 have been downloaded over 500 times.

Francisca craft file: obsolete

Edited by Vanamonde

Pyromaniacal, how did you crash? Did you turn on the stability assist mode with the T key before taking off? And try letting the plane climb for a while before you try to maneuver, to give yourself a bigger safety margin with the ground.

The aerodynamics for planes need a LOT of improvements in this game...

I mean I manage to take off, fly around and land (not at the runway but hey) but the planes tend to stall at maneuvers every normal plane would easily do though the physics in KSP are much more forgiveable when piloting rockets.

I don't mean this trainer, didn't try it but most of the crafts that are built or in stock have this problem.

Really cool plane design though, I like it alot.

Pyromaniacal, how did you crash? Did you turn on the stability assist mode with the T key before taking off? And try letting the plane climb for a while before you try to maneuver, to give yourself a bigger safety margin with the ground.

I crashed while attempting to land.

I crashed while attempting to land.
Then worry not; landing is quite difficult, and crashing then is not a sign that you're a bad pilot. Extend the landing gear, aim for a flat patch of land (the runway is MUCH harder to hit), and keep your descent down to about 10m/s so the plane doesn't take damage from the impact. Throttle back most of the way to reduce your contact speed, but depending on the plane's design, you may need to throttle back up a little to help keep the nose up. (These examples I've given shouldn't need that.) Once you touch down, throttle off the engines. You can apply brakes with the B key, but if you overdo it the plane may flip over on its face, so apply the brakes on/off, on/off. Then just wait for it to roll to a stop. :)

Then worry not; landing is quite difficult, and crashing then is not a sign that you're a bad pilot. Extend the landing gear, aim for a flat patch of land (the runway is MUCH harder to hit), and keep your descent down to about 10m/s so the plane doesn't take damage from the impact. Throttle back most of the way to reduce your contact speed, but depending on the plane's design, you may need to throttle back up a little to help keep the nose up. (These examples I've given shouldn't need that.) Once you touch down, throttle off the engines. You can apply brakes with the B key, but if you overdo it the plane may flip over on its face, so apply the brakes on/off, on/off. Then just wait for it to roll to a stop. :)

Actually planes can take up to 40~50m/s before even being dmged. but it really depends on your design.Vanamonde can u tell me how to get ability to post attachments so i can share my aircraft design?

can u tell me how to get ability to post attachments

Submit 2 more posts. When your post total reaches 5, the forum software decides you are not a spambot, and shortly thereafter the restrictions on your account will be removed. However, the attachments system isn't working properly, so you'd be better off uploading your craft files to a service like Mediafire, and using the link they provide in your post.

Actually planes can take up to 40~50m/s before even being dmged.

I'm only talking about the descent rate, the vertical component of the plane's velocity, as indicated on the gauge at the top of the HUD. If that is over 10m/s, you stand a very good chance of breaking parts off of your plane when you hit the ground.

Submit 2 more posts. When your post total reaches 5, the forum software decides you are not a spambot, and shortly thereafter the restrictions on your account will be removed. However, the attachments system isn't working properly, so you'd be better off uploading your craft files to a service like Mediafire, and using the link they provide in your post.

I'm only talking about the descent rate, the vertical component of the plane's velocity, as indicated on the gauge at the top of the HUD. If that is over 10m/s, you stand a very good chance of breaking parts off of your plane when you hit the ground.

Cool, then I'll take screen shots of my planes first then, Btw i got 2 version of the crap 1 for new players and 1 more for advanced players.

• 2 months later...

Vanamonde that 2nd design is brilliant. I haven't played around much with the SPH as I haven't had a lot of luck, but your craft flies beautifully. Just taken it out for a test spin, and it's the first craft I have managed to get back down on the runway at the first attempt, and that was during a night flight! And it's a real hoot if you turn the SAS off. Shall be keeping this one in the hangar so thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...