[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

So, how do you use this for refueling in space? Every time I try attaching and then changing it to docking mode, I get uncontrollable spin problems. Not even MechJeb+RCS gets it under control, and eventually my station tears itself apart. I guess back to docking until i figure it out :/

I've read the with this new KAS version you can "place" parts on the side of the ships while at EVA, I don't know how to do it, can anyone help me?

You can only place the "detachable connector" during EVA. Place some on your ship in VAB/SPH. During EVA, approach it and right click on it, it will say "grab". After you've grabbed it, you can press "h" key and if you mouseover a ship you will see that you can place it where you want it.

It is an amazing system that can be exploited for various other parts if you edit it in the .cfg. I am currently using it for developing my KASPAR mod.

For some reason I can't attach the detachable connector anywhere. I can pick it up, and I can attach it to an open KAS port, but I can't attache it to any surface. It just stays yellow, no matter how close I get. When I click it makes a bleep noise. Any ideas?

I could work around it by just putting a port on every vessel, but I was hoping to drain fuel out of debris before deorbiting it. In order to do that I needed to put a port on it but as I said, its not working :(

I'm having problems conecting the wench to anythng.

I was having abit of an issue with this.....

Make sure your symmetry is set to one before selecting the winch from vab/sph menu, this seems to help

Anyone else having problems retracting the cable? The game says it is, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything. I'm not sure if I'm not hearing the sound effect because I'm in space or because it's an indication either.

If this is the thread for bugs I might have found one. I went EVA on the launch pad and grabbed the connector. walked around a bit then went back inside without letting it go. the connector then fell to the ground and the cable stayed where it would have been if the connector was when the kerbal popped inside. the GUI then seemed to let me retract and extend but visually it didnt do anything and I couldnt retract all the way. Ill see if I can make it happen again.

I already say it before, but for people how get some weird bug as missing grab or detach menu, non working winch, missing textures and sounds, etc, you MUST put the KAS folder in the gamedata folder. Putting files in the root folder are not recommended for 0.20 mods. It's only here for compatibility with old mods. (and I hope that will be removed soon as it confuse a lot of people)

For now, I can't do anything better about this, as the new game database refer to the file path in the gamedata folder only.

Anyway, to better track down bugs, I uploaded a small update to eliminate issues related to this :

- Ignoring sound(s) or texture(s) not loaded (in case of a wrong installation directory), instead of messing up KAS parts behaviour

- Warning message if a sounds or a texture is not found by the plugin.

Edited by KospY

Maybe someone should put together some tutorial video(s)? This is a good one but it does not go through all the options.

Also, I see the anchors are in! I will do an update soon of my stock airships.

This is a little off topic, but in that youtube video at 2:20, on the refuelling truck there is a ladder that folds out. What mod is that from? It looks to be a really cool little mod that I've not seen before.

EDIT : Nevermind, just checked online and its apparently a stock part (I'd never realised!)

Edited by carranty

To anyone still installing mods 'legacy' style......STOP when at all possible!!!

Granted I still have a few things install the old way (kw pack and hydro tech) while waiting for an update, but when possible you should be installing mods via the new method.

The 'Legacy' folders are only still there to give people (I think mainly the mod devs) time to adjust to the changes. Squad has already said this, and that those folders will eventualy be taken out.

These people work really hard to get these mods up and running, and many have worked hard and fast to get em running again in 0.20.....

lets not negate all that work with stubbornness......

KSP has changed, best thing to do is change with it, because fighting it is kinda counter-productive.

If this is the thread for bugs I might have found one. I went EVA on the launch pad and grabbed the connector. walked around a bit then went back inside without letting it go. the connector then fell to the ground and the cable stayed where it would have been if the connector was when the kerbal popped inside. the GUI then seemed to let me retract and extend but visually it didnt do anything and I couldnt retract all the way. Ill see if I can make it happen again.

Forget to handle this. thanks for the report.

Added to my todo list.

Edited by KospY

I too experienced the "won't retract" problem, turns out KSPMM has some issues with the new .20 file structure. Manually installing the mod fixed the problems and now I have my KAS back. Jeb is very happy.

I too experienced the "won't retract" problem, turns out KSPMM has some issues with the new .20 file structure. Manually installing the mod fixed the problems and now I have my KAS back. Jeb is very happy.

OH!!!! I wondered why on earth anyone was using the old file system on .20 I didn't think about a mod manager.

I stopped using that mod manager when I realized just how bad at installing mods it was even in .19, it kept ignoring internals, and was a disaster with mods that had alternate parts for mods I warn't using, (it kept installing FAR modification for NovaPunch I didn't have) or who's zips used a funny file structure, so yeah, mod managers = bad.

I already say it before, but for people how get some weird bug as missing grab or detach menu, non working winch, missing textures and sounds, etc, you MUST put the KAS folder in the gamedata folder.

I had already tried that when you first recommended it. I still don't get anything, when I am in EVA, I walk on launchpad to the detachable connector and right click it, nothing happens no matter how close I am. I left click, nothing.

EDIT: Nix that, I just doscovered some stragglers from the .19 files in "parts" If anyone else is having the same issues, check your root folders and compare them to the downloaded folder to make sure nothing from KAS is in the other folders. I am going to try it again with everything KAs deleted ACCEPT the KAS in game data.

EDIT 2: It worked. Everyone with this issue needs to clean out all old KAS files/folders and make sure only the KAS in Game data exists.

Edited by CaptJack92a