When my rovers dock 1 flies up without it even having engines! HELP!

When my rovers dock 1 flies up without it even having engines! HELP!

So i made this rover that i'll link together with many of them to make a solar plant on the Mun eventually....

But when i like my moving rover to the solar rover the solar rover flies up and i have no idea why!

Screenshot:

E4191E958F1732335B6CD264700D95BBBF8136AC

Thank you

AntiVi

I sent Katateochi a PM to get back to you about that with what he knows, but it may be a number of hours before he sees it (it's the middle of the night where he is). But I believe the only way around the problem is to rebuild your ship, avoiding those particular strut types. :(

The problem exists because you've got a non-physics part connected to your docking port. It's a known bug, but I don't know whether it's going to be fixed or not. Apparently it wasn't anticipated that the non-physics struts would be used in as many ways as they have been, including as a standoff for docking clamps. When the two parts dock, the strut doesn't reverse itself in the new, combined vehicle and mayhem results.

This is one of the reasons for stations built with docked components exploding - if it's an extended object it will simply tear the entire thing to shreds.

The moral of the story - Don't use octagonal struts to connect docking ports to your vessel.

Just last night same thing happened to me with my Munbase project. But i have the docking ports connected to the empty crew containers. I do have struts here and there that i used to stiffen things on launch. funny thing is that its rotating so slowly that it isnt even blowing up. i had it go five time over and over when i tried to get it stop, but it has mind of its own.

_bigthumb.jpg

*snip*

The moral of the story - Don't use octagonal struts to connect docking ports to your vessel.

Yep! as Jason Patterson says don't use those octagonal struts or the small cube struts to connect docking ports to. You can have them in your craft, just not anywhere in between the docking port and the command pod.

For example if you have a command pod then a multi-point connector you can have those strut parts attached to sections on the multi-point connector, but on the branch that leads to the docking port you don't want to have any strut parts.

I have a rover that has two moveable arms with docking ports on the end. originally the arms connected to the main base of the rover with those octagonal strut parts and when I docked horrible dancing would ensue. So I replaced the octagonal struts with something else (in that case an Oscar-B fuel tank) and now it can dock just fine.

Well i changed some stuff and i also added a power station to it :3

Here is the result:

07CA301E1590260C45726B27D9B0A0B5E19D9EDC

Ah cool, you got it working. was it a case of taking out those strut parts?

In my case though there isn't anything between the docking ports. Docking ports are directly attached to the hitch-hiker cans.

Is it just two hitch-hiker cans with docking ports your trying to connect then? Or is one craft more complex? Can you post a pic of it.

At one point I did wonder if radially attaching a docking port was the problem, but I've got things with radially attached ports which work fine.

Is it just two hitch-hiker cans with docking ports your trying to connect then? Or is one craft more complex? Can you post a pic of it.

At one point I did wonder if radially attaching a docking port was the problem, but I've got things with radially attached ports which work fine.

got small pic on the first page, but here's bigger one. This is after the connection and few somersaults later.

_img1280.jpg

Katateochi did some experimenting, and it seems to be caused by the cubic and/or octagonal strut pieces. I haven't the faintest idea why, though.

This. ! thousand times. Bug needs squashing as I'm using fuel tanks (liquid or xenonium) currently as the struts fail every time.

got small pic on the first page, but here's bigger one. This is after the connection and few somersaults later.

*snip*

hmmm, can't see why that is happening in that case. Is that 3 craft all-together? one small central one with two identical craft either side?

I had one situation where I had two identical craft docking (on land) to a central one. The first one could dock to the central craft just fine, but when the second one docked this problem reared it ugly head again. It didn't matter which craft docked first or to what side, the first could always dock fine, the second one would cause the issues. I never managed to solve that one and ended up doing something different in the end.

This. ! thousand times. Bug needs squashing as I'm using fuel tanks (liquid or xenonium) currently as the struts fail every time.

Yeah, I used the little oscar-b tanks in place of the octagonal struts and that's worked fine. It is a horrible bug, wasted hours because of it and it takes out a lot of ground based docking designs.

hmmm, can't see why that is happening in that case. Is that 3 craft all-together? one small central one with two identical craft either side?

I had one situation where I had two identical craft docking (on land) to a central one. The first one could dock to the central craft just fine, but when the second one docked this problem reared it ugly head again. It didn't matter which craft docked first or to what side, the first could always dock fine, the second one would cause the issues. I never managed to solve that one and ended up doing something different in the end.

yep, central one, and two identical crafts docking. first one no problem. then second one and it started doing somersaults. :D Going to ditch that design and make a new one. will see if the problem comes with that too.

I had a river do this exact same thing, I didn't have struts or those little connectors any where in it. I could connect 3 of them together but then the 4th one sent the whole thing flying into the air.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.