Forgotten City

Zephram Kerman

I'm not sure if this should be in Fan-Works or elsewhere, so mods feel free to relocate as you see fit.

A friend of mine at work has just completed a novel, and asked me to put the description here. I'm looking forward to reading this thing, and I hope you will too.

Lieutenant Colonel Harris is part of an elite team of astronauts chosen to perform a secret flight to the moon. This extraordinary mission is the first step in the US Government’s Mars Exploration program using the new Z-51 interplanetary orbiter. But there is a darker purpose for the moon flight. It is also the first step toward the militarization of space.

Upon arrival to the moon, the spacecraft is hit by the solar wind from a coronal mass eruption. The crew’s courage, discipline and resourcefulness is tested the fullest extent as they struggle to return the wounded spacecraft back to earth orbit.

During a death defying reentry, the ship loses all of its navigation equipment. Harris, a seasoned aviator from the USAF, is forced to perform visual navigation and landing into Portland, Oregon International Airport while hurtling through the sky at twice the speed of sound. Unfortunately poor weather combined with failing flight control systems force Harris to ditch the spacecraft into the Columbia River.

The shaken crew barely survives the ditching and searches the local area for human contact. They immediately discover that Portland, Oregon has changed in unimaginable ways. Volcanic eruptions along with earthquakes have shattered the area’s infrastructure while killing most of the local population.

The few remaining survivors are locked in a struggle for survival where basic necessities like food and clothing have become highly prized resources that are fought over by warring factions. With no rescue in sight, the hapless astronauts struggle to survive during a hard winter while lost in the ashes of the forgotten city.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.