"Cherubim" MKI Fastest plane on Kerbin?

huggy

My second creation dubbed the "cherubim", an atmosphere only turbojet with SSTO And VTOL variants in the works.

Max altitude - 35,000 meters

Top speed - 2,246 m/s

Thrust to weight ratio - 5.66

Top View

screenshot61.png

Front View

screenshot60.png

So fast its able to circularize an orbit while still in the atmosphere.

screenshot44.png

screenshot53.png

screenshot54.png

Craft file

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/cherubim-mki-2/

What is the best alltitude to get maximux speed?

I believe I was somewhere between 34,000 - 36,000 meters. Also you have to throttle back to avoid a flame out.

Really liking it!

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it.

Nice! But not the fastest :D The land speed record, if I remember correctly, is 2,339 m/s.

Are you sure that's surface speed and not orbit speed? because I've noticed the your speed jumps up by 100 or so m/s when it switches to from surface to orbit.

Not quite the land speed record: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1cxskp/i_think_i_set_a_jet_air_speed_record_5195msmach/

The 5195 was the speed when he dipped into orbit, so it was closer to 5050 or so. Still, quite fast :D

(Also, not sure if he's using any mod parts or not. I know they are stock engines and ramjets though.)

well the landing gear and vertical stabilizer are definitely modded. not sure what else hes done.

Official hiring board:

applicants! The Linux Rover.corp® is recruiting talented, creative, innovative people ! if you are to apply for this glorious place (we will need test pilots and engineers) please fill in:

1. name

2. which job (it is engineer or test pilot)

thanks!

Linux Rover.corp® CEO, Dennislinux

we are recruiting 25 test pilots and 30 engineers!

(if there are too many applying, you will be asked to put your best rover onto the post. if you are a test pilot, there are no such requirements.)

apply on http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...tock-please%29

Yeah.. after testing your aircraft myself... yeahhh... horreee sh33t.. it is so frikking fast I was in orbit in no time at all..

It took me longer to recover from the spin than it did to get to orbit...

After recovering, I flew it in a strait line at the highest it could go and WOW.... a full circle around the planet...

My Try at an SSTO compared to this is like... ppppppppppppppppfffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.... I suck...

Edited by KissSh0t

• 5 months later...

I can provide screenshots if you want, but my Altus-aero Cruiser has a max alt of 42,000 m and max speed of 2269 m/s (yes, surface speed) flight time of approximately 23 minutes. It cruises at 30,000-35,000 m at max throttle. On top of that, it looks very sexy...

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Bloojay said:

@EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II this is one of the few forums I've seen that treats necroing as taboo :v

Really? I'm surprised...mostly every forum I've ever been on has a rule against necro threads.

Even if they don't it's typically considered "in poor taste" by the community.

I mean it just makes more sense to create a new thread about the same topic than to go posting in one from 2013 which probably contains lots of outdated info and users who most likely aren't even members of the forum anymore.

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Really? I'm surprised...mostly every forum I've ever been on has a rule against necro threads.

Even if they don't it's typically considered "in poor taste" by the community.

I mean it just makes more sense to create a new thread about the same topic than to go posting in one from 2013 which probably contains lots of outdated info and users who most likely aren't even members of the forum anymore.

The new people have a tendency to make short posts on 3 year old threads for some reason.

The other problem with necro threads in games like KSP is that the craft shown in the older posts can no longer be built exactly the same because the game has had several new versions with new/improved/replaced parts since the original thread was posted.  Or the changes in the physics/heating model means that even if you could build the exact same craft, it now flies completely differently. 

Edited by Scarecrow

Resurrecting showroom threads is fine ( encouraged, even - they're not meant to time out ), specific topic threads like this is not so useful. You certainly can't do that sort of speed at turbojet altitudes with heating on nowadays, there was a recent challenge about it.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.