[Stock] Mun Base

As you were asking for opinions on your munar base, I think i will give one...

I think it is very structural, probably very stable and looks very orderly, but then again it is just the same thing over and over again. If I could say one thing i would say "More diversity". Maybe add a comm-tower/unit or a lighting unit, a rover, science units, or just anything that will make it more than just a house on the mun. Other than that though i think that you are off to a great start and that this base has a lot of potential. :D

screenshot31_zps8e28e24a.png

This is my old base, not much... but it still felt like a base.

Howdy, this is That1Guy, asking for opinions on my Munar base... I am looking to make a video on how to build this style of base.

utioUaj.png

SCOC6xA.png

Nice base! I see how you're putting it together from a single standard module. I'd definitely like to know how you line them all up and dock them together though. I presume you're not building it in orbit and then landing the whole thing in one piece?

that's really cool. how did you maneuver the modules together though?

I would imagine he moved them around like Scott Manley does in his Reusable Space Program videos:

Skip to about 1:20 for the relevant part.

Wait, there aren't wheels on OPs, i'm curious too!

Edited by Dr. Muttonstache
take my wats

haha, guess I should explain...

okay, so here's how it is, I use a small rover/drone called "Crane"...

ONPqvIa.png

I land it on the Mun, cluster drop the modules around it, then park it near the Base when not in use...

qBJnAVn.png?2

(really wish I had gotten the base in the pic, it is only 10m away)

The crane drone can grab the modules from below with these ports...

zuVXlhu.png

with a bit of creativity on how I use the lander legs, I prop it into position and get a hard dock

I am actually posting a "how to" on my method and should be able to demonstrate my technique in about a week (uni exam week). But yeah, rather than tackle the "how to build an overhead crane" design nut, I just build an advanced motorized cart to haul parts from A to B. In my mind it is easier to mess with the modules to fit the transit platform rather than the other way around, and as restrictive as this has been, I feel that I can open up with more exotic parts in the summer.

Hope that explained the process well enough.

Pretty nifty, all right! Was probably a lot easier to build than my stock base.

stock_base9.jpg

I'd rather not discuss the specifics of how I linked up the side pods, save to say that I've since upgraded the design to be less hellishly hard (and more modular, too!).

...Docking with a module to be moved from the BOTTOM... Genius! As long as they're all the same diameter and have the legs positioned the same way, there should be an easy and consistent way to do this! Excellent..

Until now, all my base building had taken place with two rovers basically parallel parking a module into position.. Ugh..

Though, the modifications I'll make to that specific design will likely include replacing the vanilla port with a CBM one (much stronger/less wobbly docking force and it auto-aligns to 90 degrees), and put the ports actually on the modules, so that I don't have to have an end-node to place them, thus slightly reducing part count on each module (but on the long run, being able to shave off a LOT of parts total which means a bigger base.)

Also my rover might need to be a bit wider/longer. I'm thinking of putting orange tanks on my base, and those are much harder to move. Excellent base though.

Also also, I'd just like to say that I think your base is beautifully designed and actually my favorite one I've seen in a long time, the reason being that you DIDN'T spam it with a bunch of useless solar panels that there are no need for as of 19.1 The amount of solar panels used on that base looks about right for what its actual power demands are. Good job. That's not to say we might need bigger arrays in future updates as the game gets more complex, but right now, the only things that ever take power are probe cores, science packs, lights, rover wheels, and ion engines. All very basic things, and the base looks well-suited for what it is.

• 4 weeks later...
...Docking with a module to be moved from the BOTTOM... Genius! As long as they're all the same diameter and have the legs positioned the same way, there should be an easy and consistent way to do this! Excellent..

Until now, all my base building had taken place with two rovers basically parallel parking a module into position.. Ugh..

Though, the modifications I'll make to that specific design will likely include replacing the vanilla port with a CBM one (much stronger/less wobbly docking force and it auto-aligns to 90 degrees), and put the ports actually on the modules, so that I don't have to have an end-node to place them, thus slightly reducing part count on each module (but on the long run, being able to shave off a LOT of parts total which means a bigger base.)

Also my rover might need to be a bit wider/longer. I'm thinking of putting orange tanks on my base, and those are much harder to move. Excellent base though.

Also also, I'd just like to say that I think your base is beautifully designed and actually my favorite one I've seen in a long time, the reason being that you DIDN'T spam it with a bunch of useless solar panels that there are no need for as of 19.1 The amount of solar panels used on that base looks about right for what its actual power demands are. Good job. That's not to say we might need bigger arrays in future updates as the game gets more complex, but right now, the only things that ever take power are probe cores, science packs, lights, rover wheels, and ion engines. All very basic things, and the base looks well-suited for what it is.

Indeed, I have found that you don't need too many solar panels (yet), and the real trick about having a Mun base is having enough battery life to last through the night. That is why my landers for the Mun and Duna only have 2 panels, but they have tons of batteries to hold the charge.

• 1 month later...

I too am curious how you got that down. I'm working on a base, but so far every segment has had to have some engines attached to get it down....

Guess what I'm asking is when you say you "dropped" them....how?

Edited by EmanonP

I'm also working on a base pack using this kind of assembly system, after seeing some of the stuff Temstar put together doing it. So far, the most successful assembly scheme I've tried, and it leaves also few useless parts on the finished base:

sNobg2g.jpg

That's the beta version, because if it can land-dock on Kerbin it can do it anywhere. But the Mun already has a new base, and the one for Minmus is on route.

guWwZ9Z.png

Rune. Bonus use of the rover: turn a fuel module into a refuelling truck for the base shuttles.

• 4 months later...
I too am curious how you got that down. I'm working on a base, but so far every segment has had to have some engines attached to get it down....

Guess what I'm asking is when you say you "dropped" them....how?

Wow, I let this panel go for a while... oops...

But yeah, like this

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.