[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

Problem is the game has issues with that much weight.

The 2m tanks have odd fuel numbers also, ranging from 186.67 to 216.77 units/kg.

The 1m tanks all have 224 units/kg, or 12% more then the stock tank.

The 1m tanks have roughly that much more because the fact is the default 1m fuel tank isn\'t all the width of 1m, so I added an arbitrary amount to compensate.

2m tanks increase that much due to how math works, or to be more specific cylindrical volumes.

Taking the 1m tank as a base, the volume of a 1m high stack would be.

0.5^2 x Pi = 0.785m^3

A 2m that is 1 meter high would be.

1^2 x Pi = 3.142m^3

Dividing that you get a multiplier of

3.142/0.785 = 4.00~

This means that two meter parts should be roughly 4x heavier/more powerful/etc than the 1m apropriate.

Barring any changes to the structure of fuel tanks as they get bigger etc, it\'s simply how they would scale.

As for the off fuel numbers, I believe I added a small mass of weight to count as simple construction 'cost', as materials don\'t scale alot of the time. But in my haste I do think I didn\'t scale it to the lengths.

In future i\'ll probably remove them, and just stick to the straight conversion.

As far as the weight problem goes, eventually at some point we\'ll most likely make some adaptors that\'ll allow you to split to multiple engines, and spread the weight. (you can already do this with other parts, and by stacking a fuel tank on the side of the base.)

I should also point out that most weight problems disappear the moment you launch anyway.

We need to adopt a standard, 1 unit of weight = 100 units of fuel.

The fuel standard should probably be roughly around stock, which is 1 weight = 200units.

First off I\'d like to say, VERY nice work here. The need for larger SRB\'s has finally been solved. Although, not giving them a removable 'top' is a mark against, imo. Its always fun to stick a shoot to a srb or a few different nosecones.

With your engines, you have added much needed 2m engines. That being said, I have found that when making a rocket upscaled enough to use your 2m SRB\'s, your engines buckle on the pad. I had to double their crashT just so I could get the rocket to sit on them.

We\'re making 1m and 2m SRBS with no tops on, so you\'re in luck.

As for the 2m engines, we\'re looking into ways to improve performance on that front.

I didn\'t think crash tolerance would work, but i\'ll definately look into that once i\'ve done a few errands today.

Regardless of whos math is better, I simply like the fact these parts are more powerful but still balanced by careful using of high cost/high fuel burns too and overheating issues. Not overpowered like those E-1000 things, tried those once and deleted em lol....

Here\'s the prototype for my extra-long loiter U2-esque recon/IMINT craft :) I need to put on another pot of coffee to get truly creative, haha!

Yk0tI.jpg

F7YOl.jpg

Forgot to turn off the jaggies for the screenshot, next iteration will have prettier photos.

Progress is going well.

Just finished work texturing and configuring the Center Stack SRB\'s.

We\'ve also done the 3m tanks, 3m engines and some other misc things.

Should be ready for a release once we\'ve done some adaptors.

Regarding the buckling engines issue, the only way I can think of killing it for sure would be to increase engine weight until such a point where the engine can take any reasonable load, then increasing the thrust to counter the newly increased mass. I\'d probably tweak it so that theres 'nothing gained nothing lost', least in terms of gravity.

except it\'ll take more and more and more force to control the rockets, and make them play less and less well with the other parts.

Probably ought to get everything done and then do a balance pass; somewhere between 'fun to play' and 'Ridiculously realistic science involved' :)

These two just surpassed the quality of pretty much every part out there (especially mine)

If it makes you feel any better bask in the glory that all of my rockets that managed to orbit and release satellites got off the ground with your Omnipotent Bertha engine.

Are there plans for any sort of fairings or shrouds for engines? Currently it looks beautiful with one stage, but as soon as you add a second stage with liquid engines it looks quite ugly.

For the time being are there any fairings made by other authors that work well with your parts?

These are to be 1.3m fairings (and perhaps other sizes) using the same system as CaptainSlug\'s.

If you want my mesh source files I\'d be happy to provide them for scaling, or simply make a set of parts to the diameters you prefer.

I don\'t particularly mind if anything I make is modified. Whether its meshes, textures, or cfg files.