[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

Top 1/3rd sways due to the fact it\'s an imbalanced trashbucket I cooked up in 2 minutes pivoted on stock fuel tanks and really dubious small parts.

Everything else is perfectly stable.

The point was if that can sit around on the pad for 2 minutes without error, then any planned rocket can be perfectly fine.

But the swaying is an artifact from the part weights over-running what the engine\'s connectors can handle, and it does it on lots of things, not just junk piles. Super-high collision settings and using struts where they shouldn\'t be needed seems to be out of line of the intention of the modpack.

But I\'m not gonna browbeat you over it, I made my request; I didn\'t see any benefit from the huge numbers, and think it would be better if it was toned down, at least until the physics engine matures some more.

But that is just it, you don\'t need the weight values, you aren\'t gaining any more realism than if you divide all the numbers by half or a third - its the ratios of thrust and weight and such that creates your balance.

My fuel tanks are meant to be realistic with respect to the stock engine and based on a solid standard of 1 thrust unit = 1 kilonewton, and 1 weight unit = 1 metric ton, which is the prevailing standard adopted by the modder community (and, in fact, is supported by the game physics). Thus, if I want my tanks to be balanced with respect to the stock engine, my numbers have to be what they are.

My fuel tanks are meant to be realistic with respect to the stock engine and based on a solid standard of 1 thrust unit = 1 kilonewton, and 1 weight unit = 1 metric ton, which is the prevailing standard adopted by the modder community (and, in fact, is supported by the game physics). Thus, if I want my tanks to be balanced with respect to the stock engine, my numbers have to be what they are.

Well I haven\'t actually used yours, I was talking in general since you suggested yours was 'like' this pack; Their 'big' 3m tank weighs 135 'metric tons' and holds 30,000 units of fuel, while its matching engine is 22 tons, burns 100u/s and puts out 2300 'kilonewtons'

You can maintain the thrust/weight ratio of the stock parts without the big numbers, and I am not sure that a 3 meter by 12 meter cylinder (roughly 84 cubic meters of volume) would weigh 135 metric tons when full of fuel.

(of course, that much water would be 84 Metric tons, but that is ignoring the added weight and loss in volume of the tanks and all internal parts)

A few of the things that will be in v0.3

One meter Vesta I engine

k0Wcm.png

1.75 meter engine (this is very unfinished, but you get the idea)

mLDMp.png

The compressed nitrogen tanks for the RCS thrusters in 1m, 1.75m, 2m and 3m, and the thrusters themselves

uVGY0.png

@Tiberion

Just for understanding your arguments: You say the tanks in this pack hold to much fuel and so create to much weight for the rocket? I am experiencing a lot of 'wobblines' with the parts of this pack but I also need the real big engines in here... Are they also part of the problem or would they work just well with other tanks?

Or do I misunderstand the whole thing here? ???

PS: My big rockets are all well balanced and connected with heavy struts, SAS etc. but always turn around at some point of the flight.

@Tiberion

Just for understanding your arguments: You say the tanks in this pack hold to much fuel and so create to much weight for the rocket? I am experiencing a lot of 'wobblines' with the parts of this pack but I also need the real big engines in here... Are they also part of the problem or would they work just well with other tanks?

Or do I misunderstand the whole thing here? ???

PS: My big rockets are all well balanced and connected with heavy struts, SAS etc. but always turn around at some point of the flight.

Its not related to the fuel, since the fuel numbers and weight are unrelated in the engine; Authors can set their own ratios.

Kyle and Winston quite reasonably set out to make the weights somewhat realistic in their scaled parts, so some of them are 10 to 100 times heavier than common KSP parts, which would be fine since their engines also output more to compensate.

Unfortunately, they ran against a limit in the game engine as it stands now, and the node connectors between parts don\'t handle the forces that result from the weight (sort of like trying to glue two cinderblocks together with kid\'s school glue) so they have had to workaround the issue by artificially boosting some behind-the-scenes numbers and created the heavy strut.

That can\'t cover all the issues though, as the connection engine is pretty sensitive, so my big rockets still tend to get unruly.

Using their engines with other fuel tanks would be... interesting. The engines are still heavy too, so they\'re likely to snap things off, especilly in upper stages - but the real issue would be their burn rates - the KW tanks have huge amounts of fuel so the engines are set to burn fast - a lot of them would empty a stock tank in mere seconds.

Really like the pack. Engines seem a little too efficient tho, but I\'m not shooting for the moon or anything yet. Also, IDK if its the pack or the game itself but controlling these things (big rockets once in space / close to space / a place without full atmosphere is impossible, even with a bazillion classic RCS. And of course, we need bigger RCS tanks xD. Waiting on v3!

Oh, also want decouplers.

Well I haven\'t actually used yours, I was talking in general since you suggested yours was 'like' this pack; Their 'big' 3m tank weighs 135 'metric tons' and holds 30,000 units of fuel, while its matching engine is 22 tons, burns 100u/s and puts out 2300 'kilonewtons'

My big tank only masses about 40 tons and holds 4,000 units of fuel.

You can maintain the thrust/weight ratio of the stock parts without the big numbers, and I am not sure that a 3 meter by 12 meter cylinder (roughly 84 cubic meters of volume) would weigh 135 metric tons when full of fuel.

(of course, that much water would be 84 Metric tons, but that is ignoring the added weight and loss in volume of the tanks and all internal parts)

The stock fuel is actually very dense: 1.8 tonnes per cubic meter (RP-1/LOX is around the same as water, H2/LOX is much smaller) which means that the 135 tonne value is actually conservative for that volume.

Kyle and I made an Omni-Directional Control Surface Module, available in 1, 1.75, 2 and 3 meter sizes for 0.3.

Basically 18 fins that would tilt to direct airflow and steer your rocket inside the atmosphere.

PVU8u.png

In reality, no engine should ever be on the ground. The same goes for this pack xD.

Use solid boosters (even the super small ones) as feet. Or download legs.

The engines wobble. doesn\'t matter whether on the ground or in flight. Also if the weight on the engine is too great it will break automatically. there shouldn\'t be any ill effects if it doesn\'t

In reality, no engine should ever be on the ground. The same goes for this pack xD.

Use solid boosters (even the super small ones) as feet. Or download legs.

Personally I use 3X radial stack decouplers, 3x Fuel tanks, and 3x 2m or 3m bulkheads as 'hold down clamps'. This allows me to fire my engine and adjust my thrust without the rocket leaving the pad. When I\'m ready to go I release the radial stacks and slowly accelerate upwards.

However, if my rocket is using SRBs, I simply have those positioned lower than the core engine. I fire the engine first, and then the SRBs. Achieves the same result.

Should check the collider maybe. In my current attempts at making new parts, I make the collider .01 meters smaller than the mesh, on top and bottom.

Also I don\'t plan on letting any engine have stack points on the bottom. The adapters and shrouds will do the connecting.