Mission To Mun

nyrath

This has probably been posted already, but I cannot seem to find it with the search function.

http://imgur.com/a/sW3Tz

A group of avid Kerbal Space Program fans wondered if you could launch a pilot to the Mun and back using maths rather than the in-flight orbital planning. The pilot flies upstairs, locked in cabin-view (IVA) while mission control directs him via skype downstairs. Hijinks ensue.

So the pilot was playing the game on his computer, locked in cabin-view. The mission control team had no access to the computer. They used a large white board, lots of math, and tools like Innsewerants Space Agency's ISA Mapsat readouts to calculate where the pilot and his ship was, and directed him to a save touch-down on Mun.

This would be an incredibly educational exercise for a group of gifted students.

Amazing:).There is also a mod that lets you view data from a spacecraft on another Computer that could be helpful too.

Its called Telemachus I downloaded it last night. Just about to finish work and go have a play about with it.

You can put it on a tablet as well and use mechJeb 2 smart A.S.S through it.

G.

Aaaaaaaaaaand my head just exploded. These guys are incredible, especially the pilot, who was apparently locked in a room for 4.5 hours. Considering the fact I react to math the same way the chimps react to the monolith in 2001, I think I'll have to pass on anything like this. Ever.

Its called Telemachus I downloaded it last night. Just about to finish work and go have a play about with it.

Apparently they used Telemachus on the Mission to Duna, and they said they could not have completed the mission without it.

Awesome find! Always thought it would be cool to try something like this. If Telemachus works over the Internet, maybe some people could get together for a collaborative livestream.

Or to kick it up a notch in another direction: Get somebody to try it in real time, without time acceleration. Hope they don't have plans for the next few months...

Awesome find! Always thought it would be cool to try something like this. If Telemachus works over the Internet, maybe some people could get together for a collaborative livestream.

Or to kick it up a notch in another direction: Get somebody to try it in real time, without time acceleration. Hope they don't have plans for the next few months...

When immortality is invented, I'll do this.

This is a really good idea i would love to do something like that.

If Telemachus works over the Internet, maybe some people could get together for a collaborative livestream.

It will work over the Internet if your port forwarding is set up correctly, I try to set up a quick mission such as obtaining orbit and test it with people in IRC before a new release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.