Sentinel Mk. V Spaceplane [SSTMO] (Single Stage to Munar Orbit)

3HMApRf.png

nfpL0gN.png

LjRSSK6.png

This plane is designed to be light, small, and quick to get into orbit.

And apparently it can get to the Mun in one stage.

13FEIVs.png

JW9UR33.png

The highest circular orbit I've gotten to was about 1,600km. If instead of circularizing, you burn to a Munar encounter, you'll have enough fuel to make it there and to even circularize!

Munar Orbit Mission album: http://imgur.com/a/baccK#0

Action Groups:

1: Toggle jets

2: Toggle rockets

3: Toggle intakes

4: Open docking port/activate docking lights

Instructions:

Take off: Nose up slowly (pulling up too fast will hit your engines on the runway). Keep nosing up until you reach 50 degrees. Stay at 50 degrees either manually or with SAS.

6km-10km Even with SAS or nosing up as much as you can, you'll dip between 35 and 45 degrees. This is normal; you'll nose up more later.

15km: Dip down to 40 degrees.

17km: Dip to 35 degrees.

19km: Dip to 30 degrees.

21km: Dip to 25 degrees.

23km: Dip to 20 degrees.

25km: Dip to 10-15 degrees.

28km-30km: This needs to be quick. When your intake air gets to 0.15, immediately start your rockets (with 2) and nose up to about 20 degrees. When your intake air gets to 0.13, cut the jets (with 1) and close the intakes (with 3).

Getting to orbit: Nose up until you get your apoapsis to the desired height. Instead of full-throttling your way there through the upper atmosphere (navy blue section), all the while wasting fuel, you should keep the rockets going at the lowest throttle possible. This keeps your apoapsis from dropping and conserves fuel.

Craft: http://www./download.php?sb34b312lz81p8s

Happy flying!

ddd2611dbdb3e33afeb16f4f01eabb3b.png

Edited by Ganymede
I found that the ship can go a lot further than I had initially expected it to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed it does! (Look awesome, that is :)). I somehow missed it when you first posted, but the aesthetics are indeed worthy of praise. And Munar orbit is no small feat, too.

Rune. Kudos!

Looks really great, I currently developing some similar vessel but the maximum range is a problem for me at the moment. Maybe I can find some ideas here....

Reverse engineering is good engineering.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.