Poll: Kerbal Space Program's Mun Landers

Can you land on the Mun and Return successfully?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can you land on the Mun and Return successfully?

• Yes. I will post a picture as proof.
    • No. I am still learning!

On my first attempt, second time I travel to the Mun and third day of playing this game. I made it to the Mun and back again using my Orbiter II, the second rocket I got out into orbit, in career mode. I still can't believe I made it. When I entered the atmosphere of Kerbol there was about 10 seconds worth of fuel left.

The thought that stroked me most reading through this thread was "Wait, there is a quick save button?". Alright, I know, I know. Traveling to the Mun and back again successfully in one go on the first ever attempt isn't really that impressive. But for me, it was one hell of a ride. When I had landed on the moon (I tipped over, but managed to save the situation) the amount of fuel left for the return was scary low.

Lunar Lander I mounted on the Orbiter II

vpzb.png

On the Mun

z4o.png

And back again safely

yd3u.png

Here's a picture of my most recent landing.

1tOTava.jpg

Landing on the Mun isn't that difficult once you have figured out the basics - what I'm still struggling with is how to get a decent payload onto the surface without landing completely unrealistic huge objects. So far, the best I can do is about 5 tons of Payload with a moderate-sized lander (as seen above).

I think I just about managed to build a rocket that can do it.... 100% stock parts too.

p3ug.jpg

gjwk.jpg

thlq.jpg

5ohc.jpg

I remember how hard it was when I first started playing though, it's a great feeling the first time you do it! Now I can get there without thinking.

• 2 months later...

Allow me to just point say something to everyone. Don't worry if you can't return from a Mun landing. It took me some time before I could do it, a whole year as a matter of fact. And that's including mods, took a further half-year to do so with stock parts.

Still think it's bad that you can't do it? OK, I had landed on Moho before I could return from the Mun. There you go, now if you can do that you can return from the mun. Really, it takes far less Delta V to go to the Mun and return than it does to go to Moho.

On with the proof that I can do it:

NOTE: Lost the screenshots when I updated the game. I'll do another mission (as I planned to soon, anyway) and post the images then.

I tried to do it with the lightest command podded ship I could. Not great by the standards shown by the good players around here, but pretty minimal I feel.

5FB4373BFF3D27CDD9686A2F42EEFB2CD1C26B56

5B5F5985C4A288172C1EE3E680C623D615FB16BA

16655F96DC8D3741B544C8F8352949486ED3A83B

ACFBF5D2134AF9F5DD7E385A8BADE9B5FD7BC324

0E8302B14DD42ACEC8CFF7301D9CE0E4E9614864

95F709200078C7549E342AB09B69A4B0640C6BC6

Riding the command pod down like a boss...or like an idiot, not sure which!

DF133D4AE6867E6A2E224D92FB696A6B29302D5F

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.