The US is one step closer to "Prompt Global Strike": The X-51 finally flies.

Rune

So, don't get distracted by the propaganda about "cheaper spaceflight", this has nothing to do with that. It would, however, make a very nice hypersonic missile that can't be confused with a nuke-tipped ICBM. It is also a very nice piece of aeronautics and thermodynamics research. For guys like me, it rocks. I'm a bit surprised nobody posted this yet.

oox51.jpg

http://spaceref.biz/2013/05/boeing-x-51a-waverider-sets-record-with-successful-4th-flight.html

Rune. Fourth time is the charm.

The WaveRider always makes me think of the X-15 program whenever I see it.

I could see it being used by NASA for low Earth orbit work, but it bothers me when they try and sell it for future passenger travel.

That would be the ultimate "Vomit Comet" as it skips across the upper atmosphere with a load of untrained civilian passenger.

But if you scale up that picture so you can fit one person inside the X-51 itself, you could then possibly fit one person inside the X-51. Igoring the enlarged B-52, since that´s completely beside the point :)

On a more important sidenote here, that picture is by far the most detailed information I have ever seen about this project, and I´vetried to keep an eye on these kind of things for the last few years.

They´ve be very seretive about the aerodynamics about this. It´s easier to find out how to make a stealth plane today than figure out how to make it go fast. That makes me wonder if stealth realy is such a big deal, since they still work on outrunning their foes rather than stay invisible.

Politics and science isn´t realy a good mix.

Edited by Thaniel

But if you scale up that picture so you can fit one person inside the X-51 itself, you could then possibly fit one person inside the X-51. Igoring the enlarged B-52, since that´s completely beside the point :)

On a more important sidenote here, that picture is by far the most detailed information I have ever seen about this project, and I´vetried to keep an eye on these kind of things for the last few years.

They´ve be very seretive about the aerodynamics about this. It´s easier to find out how to make a stealth plane today than figure out how to make it go fast. That makes me wonder if stealth realy is such a big deal, since they still work on outrunning their foes rather than stay invisible.

Politics and science isn´t realy a good mix.

You could probably fit Jeb inside and he would enjoy the ride but not the landing.

As for stealth, you could shoot it down with an good air defense system, however the speed helps as if you can not detect it from decent distance it will pass fast. Stealth is just to make you harder to see on radar.

And yes hopeless to talk about passenger planes, first use is missiles, then this work you start to think of space launches. Then this is economical and safe you start to think of passenger planes.

Yep - read about this today. Glad you posted.

Bit sad that the driving force behind the development is weapons delivery, as usual.

I could imagine an journos question "so you could use this technology to deliver a heart for transplant from New York to LA in under an hour?".

Answer: "Nha, we are gonna be a killin' people with it".

As I said, no space transportation here. Scramjets make poor spaceflight tools. They make, however, a very fancy missile to launch from the continental united states to the head of whatever "terrorist" the president names, without him leaving the location in time to save his skin (like it has happened a couple of times already with Tomahawks). That is the real purpose behind this program, but it makes quite decent science in the meantime.

Rune. Your eyes can deceive you. And press almost always does.

If you watch this animation the waverider rolls upside down just before booster seperation, then rolls upright again just after - anyone have any idea why?

No idea:

But at a guess, the normal missile's aerodynamic profile, would generate lift when upright.

So when upside down, the canards, would be working to keep the missile (Lifter stage + Payload) in level flight.

As such, once the dumb lifter stage was separated, it would automatically be in an aerodynamic profile + position to fall away from the payload.

ie, it would assume a upside down position, to guarantee a safe separation of the Payload section.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/X-51A_Waverider_on_B-52_2009.jpg

Judging from that picture the seat one might be only after being cut into pieces. Also the landing is a nose dive into the pacific, hope you can swim well.

I'm in good shape. I should be able to squeeze in lengthwise. I imagine they'd have to cut down on fuel, but there should still be room for one or two minutes worth. And yeah, I'm a good enough swimmer. I hope they land this thing on a parachute, so that they can recover it. Otherwise, I might need a small one of my own. I would also need a wet suit so that I don't die of hypothermia while waiting for a recovery boat.

They could have made it go to mach 7 for 20 minutes if they added more Solid rocket boosters...

In all seriousness though, i don't think any of you could just straddle it and jump off when the engines cut off.

There would be no room, for starters. I'm pretty sure it is just big enough to stuff inside the required machinery. Even if you could survive the solid rocket acceleration phase, which is dubious. And what would be the point? You can go much faster than Mach 5, and more comfortably, riding a Soyuz, which is for sale to private citizens.

Rune. You just need a lot of money.

If you watch this animation the waverider rolls upside down just before booster seperation, then rolls upright again just after - anyone have any idea why?

If I had to answer this based on KSP, I would have a one-word answer for you: PHYSICS.

As it stands I don't have an actual answer so I guess that'll have to do :(

And what would be the point? You can go much faster than Mach 5, and more comfortably, riding a Soyuz, which is for sale to private citizens.

I like the way you think. I'll start saving.

I like the way you think. I'll start saving.

Well, if Dennis Tito could do it (and the Soyuz wasn't for sale when he did), then I don't see why you shouldn't. Good luck with it! :) The price might even come down with DragonRider in the near future. And then there's Space adventures' planned lunar trip and it's available seat... rumors are you would share the cabin with James Cameron.

Rune. Can anybody lend me 150 million bucks?

Why would you want to ride on the X-51? It's not even a plane, it can't even fly! As has been said, the only thing it can be used for is a missile. A very expensive missile, with a very small payload.

If you want a suborbital ride, you can get a ticket on SpaceShipTwo.

Why would you want to ride on the X-51? It's not even a plane, it can't even fly! As has been said, the only thing it can be used for is a missile. A very expensive missile, with a very small payload.

If you want a suborbital ride, you can get a ticket on SpaceShipTwo.

Or the XCOR Lynx.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.