How to get rid of windows?

Flymetothemun

I'm considering doing away with Windows and switching to Linux. I'm currently typing from my Linux Mint USB that I made to test Linux out and I like it. How would I go about deleting Windows, keeping a few documents on the HDD while simultaneously installing Linux on my HDD?

Edited by Flymetothemun

Save your files to an External location ( Thumb drive, external hard drive) or a partition.

Format the partition with windows on it, and install Linux via flash drive or CD.

I'm sure others can give you some better solution than I have though.

Edited by ZedNova

Ok, burn the linux iso onto a disk. Then put all your files you want on linux onto a external drive. Then delete everything that you dont need on windows. Next, partition your drive so that windows has 10gb and the rest for linux. Then put your linux disk into your disk drive. Then boot from the linux partition then follow the instructions on-screen.

Edit: The only bad thing about linux is that only a small amount of games support it.

Edited by hotmailcompany52

Linux and Windows don't use the same filesystem. Repartitioning the hard drive is unavoidable. Though if you're smart about it you can make two partitions, and rig it to dual boot Windows and Linux on the same machine.

The trick is to install Windows first, since Linux can drop you into Windows but Windows will not have anything to do with Linux.

Your stuff will have to be copied off to a different drive, and the Linux install should use EXT3 or EXT4 as the main / filesystem with an ext2 /boot and plenty of swap.

Most of the distros in common use will automatically create the required drive layout, but if you want to keep the ability to run Windows too you should split the drive so that you can have both on it at once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.