SSTO Design Tips

Hey all,

I'm attempting to design a SSTO rocket, using the jet engines. I'm looking for it to be somewhat similar to Scott Manley's reusable launcher.

Basically, are there any design tips you could give me? Like how much delta-v I require for the rocket to output, ignoring the jets?

Thanks!

If you want to go as close to his as you can, it's One ram intake per jet engine. He also uses a mainsail which first draws its fuel from the 8 tall narrow tanks the jet engines are attached to before it uses the fuel in the jumbo 64 orange tank. That design works... But what kind of payload do you want to bring to orbit? If you just want to copy his it looks like he can bring up around 20 tonnes per flight (give or take a little)

A similar sized ssto with different engines can bring up 40 tonnes, but it requires different piloting skills and patience to refine it to be reliable.

You need to be slightly more specific with your request if you want a more specific response. The best tip I can give you if you want the most dV is to use turbojets and at LEAST 4 intakes per engine. The fewer intakes you can fit on the lower your final dV will be.

I tend to use more than 10 intakes per engine whenever I can, because those engines are so amazing.

Edited by HoY

Sorry about the vagueness, I had limited time to type. I'm generally curious about a SSTO crew ferry, I've rejected standard planes as they are ridiculously hard to fly, as well as carrying very little useful cargo/passengers.

However, I'm just curious to know what sort of design works the best. Ideally it would be as light as possible, but still be able to ferry passengers up to a space station. Jet engines seem like the best way to go, but they are by design much harder than rockets. I guess if the jets don't work out I'll just go back to rockets.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting, exploding, and exploring--the KSP way! :P

Edited by CalculusWarrior

Follow the link below in my sig and check out the Sky Crane model at the bottom of the catalogue. It is basically 3 nukes, 3 jet engines, and room for 5 - 8 kerbals. The original design was more compact, but I widened it out so it could haul cargo up to space and back easily. Feel free to blatantly rip it off, but its pretty basic.

You know my design is on spareport if you want to look for it. It'll also land and reprocess, and if you want to ditch the external tanks in flight then you can take more mass into orbit (they have chutes and land about 100km from KSC)

• 1 year later...
Follow the link below in my sig and check out the Sky Crane model at the bottom of the catalogue. It is basically 3 nukes, 3 jet engines, and room for 5 - 8 kerbals. The original design was more compact, but I widened it out so it could haul cargo up to space and back easily. Feel free to blatantly rip it off, but its pretty basic.

What link? Can you please provide it for me as I'm trying to make a reusable rocket with the jet engines that scott manley has.

What link? Can you please provide it for me as I'm trying to make a reusable rocket with the jet engines that scott manley has.

No offense but they are not that hard to build and far more gratifying when you build them yourself.

The basic tail sitter (or Buck Rogers) SSTO is a simple design. If I were home I would throw one together for you in 5 minutes and upload it.

I sense the strong power of a necromancer at work here.