Using Radial Decoupler/ Manifold

Brok3n

Im loving the game so far, but my biggest frustration is the radial decouplers/manifold. After placing the decouplers on the main body I trying to place the rockets along side. I have two problems.

1. getting the rocket to line up against the decoupler so that it turns green and can be placed. This is practically rage inducing.

2. sometimes the decouplers don't seem to be attached to either the main body or rocket.

I hope this makes sense, I was a but confused on how to articulate the issue. I'm hoping someone has tips on how to use these easier.

Thank you.

The recommended technique for getting things to connect a radial decoupler, is to connect the object to something else first. For example, sticking a tank under your engines before you try and put them on the radial decoupler. Then, getting them on straight is a matter of lining them up with what's already there, and practice.

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately lots of parts refuse to connect radially at first. Like Tw1 mentioned, the solution is to attach them to something else, then grab and connect radially. It will work normally after the part has been connected once. Using this should save you from pulling your hair out.

I find it works best to attach a tank to a single radial decoupler then grab the decoupler (with tank attached) and turn on symmetry and attach the subassembly to the main rocket.

The idea is that you're attaching multiple objects to one object rather than multiple objects to multiple objects.

Sometimes it helps to turn off Snap to angle. (next to the symmetry button)

I agree with PrISM. Anyone who has used CAD software will be annoyed that everything is placed based on perspective. Maybe i want to place a single tank along two radial decouplers instead of one decoupler in the middle, but you can't, it always centers on one

My tips is to first add one decopler, then add the tank you want to connect like an orange tank, now add more stuff, typical medium gray tank below and medium or large gray on top and engine. perhaps two struts between bottom tank and orange. Now select 2,4 or 6 way symetry, remove booster and add it where you want it. Now you have the booster setup, add struts, fuel lines and seperatrons.

One other way is to add all of this first, then add boosters with two way symmetry multiple times, benefit is that its easier to get an asparagus setup, downside it that its a harder to place correct.

I agree with PrISM. Anyone who has used CAD software will be annoyed that everything is placed based on perspective. Maybe i want to place a single tank along two radial decouplers instead of one decoupler in the middle, but you can't, it always centers on one

Even if you could do that, the tank will be connected to only one decoupler.

Parts can only be connected in tree-like order, when every part must have only one "parent" part (and any number of "child" parts). So loops are impossible - it would not be a tree then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.