Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

People just keep coming up with these hilarious videos.

Remember Clippit?

OMG Clippy! I hadn't heard from this worthless hellbeast in years. For those of you too young to remember Clippy, The depiction of him in this clip is highly inaccurate. He was nowhere near this helpful!

Still laughing at the idea of NASA installing Clippy into the astronaut's helmet.

GRAVITY 2! (Spoof trailer)

http://youtu.be/ybI7RkVlrFg

The French astronauts with their "not enough air, cough cough!" :D

Hello, I would like to post two images relating to the infamous Clooney letting go scene.

http://i.imgur.com/6MYN5QB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qvTkKMR.jpg

What exactly are you trying to imply? He was rotating around, and the parachute was not static.

Edited by lajoswinkler

What exactly are you trying to imply? He was rotating around, and the parachute was not static.

Phil Plait and others have complained that there was no reason for Kowalski to drift off after unhitching from Stone. These pictures demonstrate that Kowalski was not at rest relative to Stone or the space station, so he should have drifted off after unhitching.

Phil Plait and others have complained that there was no reason for Kowalski to drift off after unhitching from Stone. These pictures demonstrate that Kowalski was not at rest relative to Stone or the space station, so he should have drifted off after unhitching.

He SHOULD have been at rest..or even have rebounded back when he hit the end of his line.

That part of the movie was the worst...and that is saying a lot as far as I am concerned.

Oh, that. Yes, Plait and deGrasse are wrong, Kowalski would surely drift away because he and Stone were rotating around the station and experiencing centrifugal force.

He SHOULD have been at rest..or even have rebounded back when he hit the end of his line.

That part of the movie was the worst...and that is saying a lot as far as I am concerned.

Coming to a complete rest is impossible in such situation, and slowing down enough for the centrifugal force to be extremely weak is highly unlikely. There is really no reason why their momentums would cancel each other out.

It was one of the best parts of the movie, sadly not understood by the majority of people, including some physicists.

Go back few pages and you'll see detailed analysis done by me and others.

Oh, that. Yes, Plait and deGrasse are wrong, Kowalski would surely drift away because he and Stone were rotating around the station and experiencing centrifugal force.

Coming to a complete rest is impossible in such situation, and slowing down enough for the centrifugal force to be extremely weak is highly unlikely. There is really no reason why their momentums would cancel each other out.

It was one of the best parts of the movie, sadly not understood by the majority of people, including some physicists.

Go back few pages and you'll see detailed analysis done by me and others.

Yeah no thanks, I understand what is going on and yes, his momentum would have been cancelled.

That you would justify a decision that was obviously about story as being "misunderstood, even by real physicists" makes me wary of any conclusions you might have as well. For obvious reasons.

Yeah no thanks, I understand what is going on and yes, his momentum would have been cancelled.

Prove it. What cancelled the "upward" direction of his momentum -- that is, the component of his momentum towards the top of the pictures provided?

That you would justify a decision that was obviously about story as being "misunderstood, even by real physicists" makes me wary of any conclusions you might have as well. For obvious reasons.

One could say the same about blind faith in physicists -- who, like anyone, could simply have missed something, or have misinterpreted what they saw. The pictures represent an easy way to pay attention to detail that might be more easily missed in a darkened theater.

Well, I saw it in theater yesterday. I'd give it a solid 11 of 10, because for the first time in years, a movie had me so grappled that I didn't even get to eat my popcorn. The last time that happened was when I watched Angels and Demons:Illuminati.

I just saw it today.

It's by far the best film I've ever seen a the cinema, and in my opinion has set a new bar for film.

Anyone who thinks they might like it or are on the fence should simply go see it. It has to be seen on the big screen in 3D, anything else simply wouldn't do it justice.

I was unsure about it, and thought perhaps it may be boring, lack any form of depth and have nobody to become invested in. I was entirely wrong on every single count.

• 4 weeks later...

Also first saw this on Blu-Ray right after it was released. Was rather hard to enjoy with the inaccuracies, but I feel the same way about movies that involve military hardware or weaponry too. I'm a stickler for realism, so it's rather hard to employ the suspension of belief when they get certain details glaringly wrong.

The debris in the satellite belt travelling precisely the opposite direction? Their orbits magically meeting up every 90 minutes? (LEO is roughly 90 minute periods, but when the debris is travelling the opposite direction that changes things.) I haven't read through the entire thread so not sure yet what's been touched on already.

Stunning graphics though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just wanted to let this crowd know that some of you may be able to get "Gravity" for free today. It seems to only work on "Nexus 5" devices. You just open the "Googe Play Movies & TV" app and there it is asking if you want to Add to Library. I have a Nexus 5 and this worked for me!!!

See this post for more info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/28/nexus-5-owners-check-your-google-play-movies-tv-app-you-might-have-a-free-copy-of-gravity-waiting-for-you/

EDIT: ....not to say that I like this movie. "Gravity" is a bad name for a movie that constantly disregards the natural laws of gravity. But if I disregard the Kerbal inside of me, I am able to enjoy this movie.. a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Blu-Ray just to watch the Making Of / Behind the Scenes (already saw it twice at the theater). Cuaron showed a globe with a piece of yarn taped to it doing crazy zigzags showing the orbital path they laid out to get the shots they wanted. While I appreciated they created a flight path, I was sort of sad realizing how impossible the path would be.

I highly recommend checking out the behind the scenes stuff. Amazed at the way they shot the movie. The actors were essentially inside a virtual reality environment, surrounded with video feed of everything they should see, in order to get the lighting on their faces right. It also allowed them to react to something they could see, and not just a green ball on a stick.

In order to get their point of view, the whole movie was previsualized with proper lighting, then the director went through with a virtual steadicam to frame the shots. Those camera movements were fed into an industrial robot where a real camera was mounted to move around the actors during the actual filming.

jmanidb said:
Just wanted to let this crowd know that some of you may be able to get "Gravity" for free today. It seems to only work on "Nexus 5" devices. You just open the "Googe Play Movies & TV" app and there it is asking if you want to Add to Library. I have a Nexus 5 and this worked for me!!!

See this post for more info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/28/nexus-5-owners-check-your-google-play-movies-tv-app-you-might-have-a-free-copy-of-gravity-waiting-for-you/

EDIT: ....not to say that I like this movie. "Gravity" is a bad name for a movie that constantly disregards the natural laws of gravity. But if I disregard the Kerbal inside of me, I am able to enjoy this movie.. a little.

Thanks! Just added it!

Edited by Hydrazine_Soup

• 6 months later...

I finally saw this movie. It is fun to read some inconsistencies were also spotted by others, like the oxygen and also the tether thing, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Now I just wish I would have seen it in theatres, as I think the pretty pictures are much more impressive there and I cannot even imagine what it looks like in 3D.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.