The Space Kraken in Future KSP developments..

Tollazor

That is great. Also captured the aftermath of 274 part Kraken victim in LKO. One chunk it hurled into an orbit 150km higher than the ship was orbiting at the time. The destruction itself was quite a sight. A bit of the ship was wiggling a little, which turned into a harmonic wobble that spread across the ship and intensified into a glorious explosion. Good thing it was unkerbaled.

Tk1Z1IU.png

Dat kessler syndrome.

I have never experienced the kraken myself but I know my friend has.

Funnily enough that's why I'm leaving all of it up there instead of zeroing my debris slider. Kinda wanna see what it does. The fuel station is on the same orbit, but on the far side of Kerbin. Kerbalcoms are in GKO and the Solarsailer is due to tug something to Duna soon as the phase angle gets where I can start applying the Oberth Effect properly.

I have a minor case of kessler on my save too, but its from tons of launches. Mainly my Minmus colony. On my recent Laythe mission when I went to 1.3 million m orbit I came within 16km or a booster stage of an Ike mission.

I had a corker of a Kraken last night. Killed 7 kerbals right off and sent another 3 flying off on a streaker into interplanetary space in the middle of a huge debris cloud. And yes, Jeb and Bill were two of the survivors... Bob perished. All because I docked one ship to another... at 0.2m/s.... and the Kraken struck. HARD!

941631_10151587122522300_628529812_n.jpg

"Seriously sir, MechJeb calculations showed a 100% chance of success. Who could have possibly calculated the space Kraken?"

- Thomwise Kerman

I might build this. I already have the Executor, just need to modify it. Would take me a while, though, as I've been more on a reading kick than anything else these days. Once I get back into building, we'll see.

The Kraken really loves to eat certain parts. The mid-range landing legs are a favorite snack of the Kraken. I understand they go well with finely seasoned cubic octagonal struts attached to docking ports. Mmm.

Just to be clear about these things, I didn't build the stuff in the picture. I stole it from a steampunk facebook page that stole it from somewhere else. I thought it was rather apt for this forum :D

The Kraken is dead.

I don't know why people are attributing ship breakups and other oddities to it. Even when the bug was in the game it did not destroy craft.

It just irritates me a little since The Kraken is part of KSP Lore that seems to be mangled by new players that were not there to experience the problem.

Sometimes ships just suddenly blow up. And unless kerbal simulates failures 'n stuff you could say it's because of the space kraken.

For instance I've had this one design that I've been using for ages. And it works flawlessly 99% of launches. In the odd 1% it blows up at either 5000-ish meters or after separating from the main stages while stabilising my orbit (and no, it's not hitting any of the debris).

And then there's the physics warp that can blow up your ship.

All these oddities and anomalies that can't (generally) be reproduced reliably fit nicely under the "space kraken" term if you ask me ^^

The Kraken really loves to eat certain parts. The mid-range landing legs are a favorite snack of the Kraken. I understand they go well with finely seasoned cubic octagonal struts attached to docking ports. Mmm.

It seems like a problem with the terrain clipping. I got this problem when I moved away from one of my Mani Landers with my Kerbals in EVA. When I got back, the lander was dancing the Harlem-Shake :D

Now I wanna build a bait ship and try to get the kraken to attack it, then send another up with Jeb in it, to see if the kraken is still willing to attack it :cool:

If it ain't the Kraken I'm not exactly sure what to call the wierd harmonic wobble that sets up in some of my ships that are masses of trusses and struts, but I do know there are some I can just set on the pad and wait for about 20 seconds for them to shake themselves apart.

The very essence of Kraken has always been floating-point errors. Saying that the modern attacks are not the Kraken just because the floating point errors are taking on a new form strikes me as pedantic at best.

I docked a 25 tonne spare part module to my (small) space station, and despite being a nearly perfect docking my station started vibrating horribly. It would have shaken itself apart if the spare parts module was attached any longer. But I was able to transfer the parts to the station and decouple it without any damage. Now I'm afraid to dock anything with it. (mechjeb and ASAS were turned off. I swear!)

If it ain't the Kraken I'm not exactly sure what to call the wierd harmonic wobble that sets up in some of my ships that are masses of trusses and struts, but I do know there are some I can just set on the pad and wait for about 20 seconds for them to shake themselves apart.

On one hand, I am basing this on little personal knowledge; so other can refuse with ease...

But the Physics Engine probably isn't designed for a 1:1 replica of "Earth Physics."

To explain, in some videogames you'll notice how collisions can occur even when the player never actually touched the object; while the approximations used saves a fair amount of processing cycles, it comes at the cost of "inaccurate physics." Of course, since very few people use physics for anything but icing (and care more about speed), accuracy is not a large goal. Remember, emulating each and every force is SLOW! These engines will try to remove as many cycles as possible even if approximations have to be made.

Now, ridged bodies are more likely to suffer from oscillations than slack bodies. Slack "absorbs" the oscillation, ridged "transfers" it.

"Seriously sir, MechJeb calculations showed a 100% chance of success. Who could have possibly calculated the space Kraken?"

Does MechJeb account for ship construction / maneuverability, or just use worse approximations than the physics engine to give a rough estimate? (The former is actually a fairly impressive feat, so aside from doing realtime derivations to get some approximation as to how the ship handles... or just counting engines and doing fairly oversimplified Center-of-Mass analysis... it would be fairly impressive if they actually wrote a more powerful simulation than KSP within KSP.)

• 9 months later...
On one hand, I am basing this on little personal knowledge; so other can refuse with ease...

But the Physics Engine probably isn't designed for a 1:1 replica of "Earth Physics."

This is what makes me worried about using a re-scaled kerbol system mod- The guy said he had worked out most of the instabilities, but also that it was very "ALPHA" so If I do install it, I fear that the space Kraken would return so ferociously that it would look like a second moon in the sky.