Hey there! Thought it was about time to do one of these...

shadowsutekh

So you've all probably seen some of my (hopefully understandable) posts around various parts of the forums. I'm not exactly new, apparently making the backup cutoff by who knows how much. However I wasn't really active in any form in the community besides lurking until after the forums came back online.

Anyways I thought I should finally get around to one of these introduction threads, so...hi there!

(On a different note any tips for landing structures on the Mun?)

I bet they work about as well as 8 of the SRBs pointed straight up at the sky right?

Kind of, I just don't know what is a good setup, because I want it to get the structure down, without blowing it into a million pieces and then leave the structure and fly somewhere else so it's not in the way.

Welcome to the forums!

One setup I've seen includes both landing legs and rover wheels on the structures themselves. You land on the legs, then fold them back in and use the rover wheels to get into the proper alignment.

Welcome to the community shadowsutekh :)

Wow, landing structures on the Mun is not easy, so don't forget quicksave (F5) and quickload (hold F9) as it'll take more than one attempt while you get the hang of it!

You will basically be landing a large vessel that may not be all that manoeuvrable so be careful :D

If you havn't done so already, it might be worth going to Minmus for a practice run at landing large stuff under rocket power. The lower gravity on Minmus is a lot more forgiving and will hopefully give you some idea of how maneouverable your structure is and whether it holds together.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I'll definitely keep them in mind. Minmus doesn't require that much more ∆V right? Any other suggestions? I'm not really looking at retrievable modules just yet, especially as I get into kethane (for stock resource practice) and what not.

At the same time, I'm also building stations around Kerbin. (Stations is plural cause I had that weird random parts exploding upon vehicle switch, had to scuttle 2 stations and start over :/ )