Would it be worth to try and send out a faster probe out of our solar system?

Kerbface

We all know voyager is leaving or has left the solar system. In a few years it's going to stop sending information back though. I can't help but wonder if it might be a good idea to send something out of the solar system a lot faster. Put it on a much bigger rocket and get it going at several times the velocity with a longer lifespan for communication.

Bear in mind I am no proffessional so I know some things I'm saying might sound stupid to those more educated in the matter of space, but I wonder what we might be able to do if we made a probe like this. We could find out more about interstellar space and things like the oort cloud (though I'm sure that would take many years).

What of it? Is this just stupid and voyager has already given us all the really valuable info and there's nothing but unremarkable space beyond what it will find until you reach another star?

Well I still wonder about a probe sent out with gravity assists on a much larger rocket so it could accelerate afterwards as well (or before if that's more efficient) to explore in detail and for a very long time, what lies beyond the edge of the solar system.

A solar sail using almost current technology could go into interstellar space at 30 AU/year or 140 km/s, which is about 10 times the speed of Voyager. It would still take 2000 years to get one light-year away (Oort cloud) so it's not very practical for that.

Here's the problem with sending a craft out of the solar system: with current propulsion technologies, any craft that we could send today would take so long to arrive that newer, faster craft relying on future technologies would have ample time to pass it up. As things stand technologically, the fastest route to Alpha Centauri right now is to stay put.

its not really an issue with propulsion, the power systems will fail eventually and render communication impossible. solar panels dont cut it that far out, and rtgs die out.

really dont think we need to build brpobes built specifically for leaving the system. pretty much every time you do a flyby of an object in the distant part of the solar system, you send the probe out of the system, and so those probes get secondary and tertiary objectives.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.